Fultz4thewin

2016-2017 Season Discussion Thread

https://theringer.com/the-bad-nba-team-power-rankings-68d6f791e5f4

Here is another stupid article. Disappointed in the Ringer here. Somehow we should be the least optimistic fanbase in the league going into the off season (more so somehow than the Nets, the Knicks, Sacramento, and probably can throw some other teams)

you gotta understand the way things work. The other teams either have a guy or have a guy in theory that hasn't gotten to the point where the narrative sours on the young player in year 3. 18 months ago we were the team that should be most optimistic. Then Oladipo plateaued, we traded harris, Fournier went from a 3 million player to a 17 million player, Payton didn't improve his shot, and so on. It's now fashionable to be down on the magic.

I don't think they said anything that's wrong though. Gordon is interesting, the other guys can do some things, we're missing "the guy". If we get that guy in this draft (and there's 6 or 7 guys in this draft that have varying degrees of hope that could be that guy depending on what you think of Fox) we're suddenly a much more interesting team. And the narrative could change quickly.

Before Friday, Gordon had made 8 of 46 three point attempts. Since Friday he's made 7 of 12 three point attempts.

December he shot 37%

February he shot 12%

other months he shot in the mid 20s

It'd be nice if he gets that under control. I wonder what is impacting it.

He's shooting 37% on the second night of back to backs.

He's shooting 39% when given 2 days rest between games.

but he's shooting terribly when 1 day rest or 3+ days rest. weird.

you gotta understand the way things work. The other teams either have a guy or have a guy in theory that hasn't gotten to the point where the narrative sours on the young player in year 3. 18 months ago we were the team that should be most optimistic. Then Oladipo plateaued, we traded harris, Fournier went from a 3 million player to a 17 million player, Payton didn't improve his shot, and so on. It's now fashionable to be down on the magic.

I don't think they said anything that's wrong though. Gordon is interesting, the other guys can do some things, we're missing "the guy". If we get that guy in this draft (and there's 6 or 7 guys in this draft that have varying degrees of hope that could be that guy depending on what you think of Fox) we're suddenly a much more interesting team. And the narrative could change quickly.

I don't think what he said about the team is necessarily wrong- but I don't think his rankings make sense- for example putting Philly as the top with all of the injury concerns, or putting us at the very last. I think we are at least above the Nets. We have better picks this year (and the nets lose their pick again next year), we have a better and more talented current team, we have more young guys with potential (their best players are in their prime), and they really don't have "that guy" yet either (nor really do many of the other teams above us). It seems to be based mostly on the writer liking their coach. I think it is arguable with a couple of the other teams, but at the very least I think we are above the Nets (even if we just lost to them).

You might say "Odin, being the second worst is still pretty bad." And I would agree with you. But at least give us the dignity, however small, of having a more positive future outlook than the Nets.

I don't think what he said about the team is necessarily wrong- but I don't think his rankings make sense- for example putting Philly as the top with all of the injury concerns, or putting us at the very last. I think we are at least above the Nets. We have better picks this year (and the nets lose their pick again next year), we have a better and more talented current team, we have more young guys with potential (their best players are in their prime), and they really don't have "that guy" yet either (nor really do many of the other teams above us). It seems to be based mostly on the writer liking their coach. I think it is arguable with a couple of the other teams, but at the very least I think we are above the Nets (even if we just lost to them).

You might say "Odin, being the second worst is still pretty bad." And I would agree with you. But at least give us the dignity, however small, of having a more positive future outlook than the Nets.

I think people are just tired of ****ting on the nets. everyone who made those bad decisions are gone. they've already hit rock bottom. its hard for people to say "blah blah blah but nobody is as bad as the nets" on every story for 2 straight years. they play an untalented but entertaining version of basketball now. So it's easy to hate on us over them. Don't take it personally. its just a dumb ranking.

I think people are just tired of ****ting on the nets. everyone who made those bad decisions are gone. they've already hit rock bottom. its hard for people to say "blah blah blah but nobody is as bad as the nets" on every story for 2 straight years. they play an untalented but entertaining version of basketball now. So it's easy to hate on us over them. Don't take it personally. its just a dumb ranking.

That's fair.