Fultz4thewin

2016-2017 Season Discussion Thread

I disagree. I think squeaking into the playoffs is fine -- playoff basketball is necessary for young talent to develop and become hungrier for next season. Losing stunts development. Getting there also makes us more respectable in FA

Totally agree.

1. I can't honestly say. He seems to have the mental fortitude to stick it out. He loved it here. I don't think he would've demanded out. I mean yeah Dipo and JJ play the same position but depth doesn't kill you. You could've played them both more as one is a good shooter. Probably more effective than Dipo and EP since Dipo plays with the ball and JJ can play without it.

2. I'm talking about Ray Allen. He got him for Jeff Green of all players. I'm not ready to call the Ibaka trade a win. Right now our record is misleading and we could very well be in the same boat with a player who says "I'm out" in just over a few months in a weak FA. We could very well be on course to rebuilding next season or resigning Ibaka to big money and be a treadmill team. Just can't make that verdict yet.

3. Yeah but I also read about how he isn't the best negotiator. May not be the same article because it seemed like it was later on then that. Can't quite remember when . Maybe after Tobias to Detroit? He got a lot of flack for that.

The reason the Magic traded JJ had nothing to do with if he would demand out. The Magic were not going to sign him to a 4 year contract for 27 million which is what he got. At the time, that was a big hit on the cap, and it made sense. If JJ would've been willing to give the Magic a "home team" discount, I'm sure the Magic would jump at it, but they knew that wasn't happening. Henny made the right move. Unfortunately, Tobias did not become the star that we all thought he would, but he sure thrilled the heck out of us for awhile.

The reason the Magic traded JJ had nothing to do with if he would demand out. The Magic were not going to sign him to a 4 year contract for 27 million which is what he got. At the time, that was a big hit on the cap, and it made sense. If JJ would've been willing to give the Magic a "home team" discount, I'm sure the Magic would jump at it, but they knew that wasn't happening. Henny made the right move. Unfortunately, Tobias did not become the star that we all thought he would, but he sure thrilled the heck out of us for awhile.

I didn't think he would become a star. That was back at the time when everyone was raving about our "young guns". The mindset seemed to be that the worse we were playing, the faster we would become champions. I never drank from that particular Kool-Aid.

I didn't think he would become a star. That was back at the time when everyone was raving about our "young guns". The mindset seemed to be that the worse we were playing, the faster we would become champions. I never drank from that particular Kool-Aid.

History still shows the way to a championship is high draft picks.

You do know that his career high averages for points and rebounds were in the 27 games that he played for us when we got him from the Bucks, right? Over 17 points and and 8.5 rebounds, and he was only 20 years old. Sure looked like a potential star to me, but what do I know. I've only been watching NBA ball for over 50 years. Maybe I'm getting senile.

Truth... we get 4 instead of 5 and pick Porzingis instead of Mario, we're singing a whole different tune right now

You mean like Boston, Miami, and Cleveland in the past 10 years?

You do know that his career high averages for points and rebounds were in the 27 games that he played for us when we got him from the Bucks, right? Over 17 points and and 8.5 rebounds, and he was only 20 years old. Sure looked like a potential star to me, but what do I know. I've only been watching NBA ball for over 50 years. Maybe I'm getting senile.

I can't comment on your mental acuity. However, he was racking up good numbers on a terrible team. Someone has to score. It doesn't mean all that much. No one wanted to hear that at the time, though.

You mean like Boston, Miami, and Cleveland in the past 10 years?

Yes. Like Boston who used a high draft pick to trade for ray allen, Miami who drafted Wade high, and Cleveland who drafted LeBron at 1, kyrie at 1, traded another #1 pick for Kevin love, drafted Thompson at 4, etc.

Yeah but let's be honest. It's more about opportunities. Lakers wouldn't have won dick if they don't sign Shaq. Boston with Pierce and Rondo alone? Heck no. They traded for Allen and KG. Miami wins nada without signing Lebron and Bosh and so on. Hell, I say trading for Horace Grant really helped us to the finals and Detroit with Big Ben and Sheed (both trades) for them ships. Draft all you want but it's opportunities plus adding through all means.

I just want to see Rob pull off a big one to get this team moving upward.

Yeah but let's be honest. It's more about opportunities. Lakers wouldn't have won dick if they don't sign Shaq. Boston with Pierce and Rondo alone? Heck no. They traded for Allen and KG. Miami wins nada without signing Lebron and Bosh and so on. Hell, I say trading for Horace Grant really helped us to the finals and Detroit with Big Ben and Sheed (both trades).

You can draft all the stars you want but a lot of times, it's opportunity that one sees.

Yeah but what gets those opportunities are the stars you have initially.

Except the lakers. Prior to the last 10 years or so markets mattered

Yes. Like Boston who used a high draft pick to trade for ray allen, Miami who drafted Wade high, and Cleveland who drafted LeBron at 1, kyrie at 1, traded another #1 pick for Kevin love, drafted Thompson at 4, etc.

Draft didn't play zero role. But it was mainly bold moves by the GMs to attract enough talent to win the championship. Cleveland drafting LeBron didn't win them anything, by the way. It's only when he came back from Miami that they finally won.

Trading #1 picks successfully to build a great team is not at all the same as building a team through the draft. You're conflating the two in your post.