Fultz4thewin

2016-2017 Season Discussion Thread

Hate to use preseason as a judge but my prediction is that Payton hezonja and Vuc won't be here by the end of the year. They kind of seem like the odd men out with our other guys.

Really disappointed in Mario -- I'm hoping it's just a preseason thing but the guy had a chance to ball with Fournier out and did nothing.

It's looking more and more like reality tbh. If the team had limited/little confidence in those guys, AND we signed their replacements, why not have traded them and gotten as much as you can before the fallout. How can you trade Payton now if he ends up losing to Augustin. Journeyman Augustin outplaying Payton! And if Mario doesn't show a considerable improvement he'll have the same questions lingering over his head.

It's looking more and more like reality tbh. If the team had limited/little confidence in those guys, AND we signed their replacements, why not have traded them and gotten as much as you can before the fallout. How can you trade Payton now if he ends up losing to Augustin. Journeyman Augustin outplaying Payton! And if Mario doesn't show a considerable improvement he'll have the same questions lingering over his head.

Agreed. It's preseason so I hate to make judgements. One can argue that Payton was out for a bit in the preseason and needs to get Back into shape but I don't see how that will fix his glaring weaknesses.

Vuc is always gonna be Vuc. No changing him.

Does anyone want to play in the unofficial TBN Fantasy Basketball League?

I'd be interested

If we all "hate to use the preseason" to judge performances too harshly, why are we doing it? I have the regular season itch as much as the next guy, but we're not going to decide it's time to trade Elfrid, Mario or Vooch off of a preseason game or two. Especially Elfrid, he's notoriously terrible in games that don't matter.

My take on preseason is this:

If you're an established veteran then it is what it is. Nobody is discussing Serge Ibaka's preseason bc by now we all know what he can do. But for players like Mario, Elfrid, etc. it's a real test for them and if they are struggling in preseason it's not really encouraging when the game matters and you're up against starters and not the 14th guy who is just trying to make the roster.

If you're an established veteran then it is what it is. Nobody is discussing Serge Ibaka's preseason bc by now we all know what he can do. But for players like Mario, Elfrid, etc. it's a real test for them and if they are struggling in preseason it's not really encouraging when the game matters and you're up against starters and not the 14th guy who is just trying to make the roster.

Vogel needs to tell Mario to just score. And forget trying to be magic freaking Johnson

And that's the thing -- they should be killing it now, and making us wonder if that will in fact translate to the regular season.

Heck even Moe harkless is balling this preseason and making a case for himself to start -- but we know Moe and there will be a huge question mark on whether he can consistently perform after the preseason is over.

I'd love if Hezonja and Payton stepped up and started playing well and I would admit I made a premature judgement. But I'm so underwhelmed by them and my expectations right now are super low.

And that's the thing -- they should be killing it now, and making us wonder if that will in fact translate to the regular season.

No. No they shouldn't.