Soul Bro

2017 NBA Draft Thread

So, based on most of the mock drafts, the Magic will probably have three of the following to choose from: Smith/Fox/Monk/Isaac, as most of the mock drafts seem to have Fultz/Ball/Josh Jackson/Tatum going in the top four. So, the question becomes what do we do with the #6, and how does that impact what we do with #25. I think you have always have to go with BPA, not just fit. I also like that we have #33, and #35 as two early second round picks, as they seem perfect for the new "two-way" contracts you can now do with your Developmental League team. Below are my ideas of how we should approach these picks, assuming the Magic go with whomever they think is the BPA at #6.

If you think Smith or Fox is the BPA

# 6 Smith or Fox (PG) - I think requires waiving CJ Watson, and possibly Georges-Hunt/Garino

#25 Best Available (SF/PF) Giles/Rabb/Lydon/Justin Jackson (possibly Diallo, I know he's a SG, but got a feeling)

#33 Best Available (SF/PF/C) Motley/Anunoby/Swanigan (Diallo, if he's still there)

#35 BPA (SF/PF) Ojeleye/Anigbogu or flyer Jeanne/Fall

If you think the BPA is

# 6 Monk (SG)/Isaac (SF/PF) - I think may require moving Hezonja to backup SF, waiving Georges-Hunt and/or Garino

#25 PJ Dozier/Frank Jackson (PG/SG) (waiving Watson if you think either is better) or BPA (SF/PF) Giles/Rabb/Lydon/Justin Jackson (Diallo?)

#33 Best Available (SF/PF/C) Motley/Anunoby/Swanigan (Diallo, if he's still there)

So, based on most of the mock drafts, the Magic will probably have three of the following to choose from: Smith/Fox/Monk/Isaac, as most of the mock drafts seem to have Fultz/Ball/Josh Jackson/Tatum going in the top four. So, the question becomes what do we do with the #6, and how does that impact what we do with #25. I think you have always have to go with BPA, not just fit. I also like that we have #33, and #35 as two early second round picks, as they seem perfect for the new "two-way" contracts you can now do with your Developmental League team. Below are my ideas of how we should approach these picks, assuming the Magic go with whomever they think is the BPA at #6.

If you think Smith or Fox is the BPA

# 6 Smith or Fox (PG) - I think requires waiving CJ Watson, and possibly Georges-Hunt/Garino

#25 Best Available (SF/PF) Giles/Rabb/Lydon/Justin Jackson (possibly Diallo, I know he's a SG, but got a feeling)

If you think the BPA is

# 6 Monk (SG)/Isaac (SF/PF) - I think may require moving Hezonja to backup SF, waiving Georges-Hunt and/or Garino

#25 PJ Dozier/Frank Jackson (PG/SG) (waiving Watson if you think either is better) or BPA (SF/PF) Giles/Rabb/Lydon/Justin Jackson (Diallo?)

its hard to discuss any of the lower picks because we don't know who is going to be there. Like i think Jeanne might not even make it to 25.

but i don't think Watson is on the team next year. I think we're going to bring in one point guard at one of those draft slots. I'd be shocked if we came out of free agency without a new point guard in the rotation.

No way CJ is back, he's only guaranteed 1 mill if we waive him, 5 mill if we keep him on until the season. No way Georges-Hunt or Garino are back either. We may give up on Zimmerman too, depending on our seconds rounders. Only guy I could see us re-signing is possibly Jodie Meeks, if the numbers are right.

No way CJ is back, he's only guaranteed 1 mill if we waive him, 5 mill if we keep him on until the season. No way Georges-Hunt or Garino are back either. We may give up on Zimmerman too, depending on our seconds rounders. Only guy I could see us re-signing is possibly Jodie Meeks, if the numbers are right.

we might bring back hunt. remember we have two extra d-league/NBA transition roster spots this year.

we might bring back hunt. remember we have two extra d-league/NBA transition roster spots this year.

Ahh.. I always forget about the Bayhawks

Ahh.. I always forget about the Bayhawks

That's what I think we may do with the second-rounders - I'm not sure you can use those on players with existing contracts like Georges-Hunt, Garino, or Zimmerman.

But, if we pick Monk or Isaac with the #6, CJ may be a better backup than anyone we can get at #25 or on a minimum contract. I could see us waiving CJ and resigning Meeks if we go with Fox or Smith at #6. As a third point guard who can also play some SG, and step up if there is an injury, Watson isn't a bad alternative, and from what I've heard, he is a good practice/locker room guy.

Remember, we still have Payton and Augustin at this point.

That's what I think we may do with the second-rounders - I'm not sure you can use those on players with existing contracts like Georges-Hunt, Garino, or Zimmerman.

you'd just waive the guy and negotiate the new two-way player contract

Same, I'd like Isaac, Monk, and then Smith in that order but would be happy with either one of them

I like Smith, Issac, and Monk.

I have a bad feeling Smith won't be there when we pick.

I like Smith, Issac, and Monk.

I have a bad feeling Smith won't be there when we pick.

yeah, smith is benefiting from his injury.

It usually takes a full year of play before a player mentally recovers. so if he was legitimately one of the best guards in the country 11 months after a knee surgery, what's he going to be 2 years from now?

I mean, I think he's probably the exception to this thinking where he came back and was able to play up to his level immediately because he looked fine. there was no lack of explosion or hesitancy in his game last year that would suggest a step forward is possible. But he's definitely benefitting from that narrative.

yeah, smith is benefiting from his injury.

It usually takes a full year of play before a player mentally recovers. so if he was legitimately one of the best guards in the country 11 months after a knee surgery, what's he going to be 2 years from now?

I mean, I think he's probably the exception to this thinking where he came back and was able to play up to his level immediately because he looked fine. there was no lack of explosion or hesitancy in his game last year that would suggest a step forward is possible. But he's definitely benefitting from that narrative.

That and plus he shot the 3 ball extremely well in his workout. I'm starting to think he climbs up and won't be there at 6.

Would be nice if we could trade up with Philly or some other team.