Soul Bro

2017 NBA Draft Thread

Smith is one of my favorite players in the PG position. But in reality he can be Chris Paul good or end up been a Muday type of player. All hype but in reality no much better than an average NBA back up PG.

I am currently very high on him but that can change once we see more of him in the nba workouts.

nah, there were significant signs that Mudiay was going to be bad (as I chronicled in our predraft discussion why we shouldn't trade payton for mudiay). He was inefficient and ineffective in a league that is closer to a charity pickup game than a competitive league. Old players and untalented players tend to put up big numbers in China. Jimmer just finished a season where he averaged almost 38 ppg.

There's a lot to like about smith. he's one of those guys who can get to the rim when his shot isn't falling and throws his body into bigmen to get to the freethrow line and hangs in the air longer to draw fouls. If you look at the freshman since 2001 who put up 18+ ppg as point guards it's Smith, Fultz, Russell, and Jahii Carson who score that well and average more than 4.3 assists per game (and carson's numbers were inflated by non-conf games and he was only listed at 5'10).

Smith might be pre-injury Brandon Jennings where he can put up some numbers but not efficiently so you're left with some dynamic scorer that may or may not make you better. Smith might be some dominant point guard. I'd be kinda shocked if he was mudiay (though I've been wrong before).

oooh. looking back farther in the stats I figured out a comparison I like for smith.

Stephon Marbury (on the court, ignore off court).

heres the numbers

smith 18.5, 6.3, 4.5 with 1.9 steals and 3.4 turnovers on 46.1/37/72 shooting (51% on 2s)

Marbury 18.9, 4.5, 3.1 with 1.8 steals and 3.2 turnovers on 45.7/37/74 shooting (53% on 2s)

Smith and Mudiay's offensive games are not in the same realm.

I like the Mabury comp. I clump smith in the Lillard, Francis, Mabury type mold.

Payton at the peak of his career won't be comparable to Smith Jr at the peak of his career.

I obviously can't state that as a fact, but Payton has had free reign for 3 years to put up numbers and be the PG for this franchise and failed.

I do not think it's remotely far fetched to think Smith Jr puts up better numbers as a rookie than Payton did year 3.

Payton is bad. He ranks at the bottom in just about every major statistical category amongst NBA starting PG's. How anyone can really defend that guy is beyond me. And I liked the pick when we drafted him--I was wrong and have no problem admitting that and moving on.

You really don't think Smith Jr can averange 12 and 5 as a rookie!? PLEASE.

Edit: Also, Murphanator, you don't get to say I have questionable judgements on PG's when your on here actually arguing for Payton. Not only arguing for him but claiming he's a better prospect than Smith--which just isn't true. Payton was never regarded as an elite prospect, never--and that is fact. Wasn't recruited in college, no one knew him until that USA basketball event. Even than he was never more than a high risk high reward player.

Plus one

Must be that time of year again..

I think we need to land one of the three pgs.

Don't know that we can package our 2nd pick with vuc to move up and get one of the elite 6-7 guys on the board but i like patton and collins as big men that can potentially play the 4/5 that we may be able to sneak up and get

It's funny that about 85% of us wanted Dante Exum too. I think PG is the hardest position to evaluate when it comes to NBA potential. Even Marcus Smart is starting to look promising as his shot has improved

Must be that time of year again..

I think we need to land one of the three pgs.

Don't know that we can package our 2nd pick with vuc to move up and get one of the elite 6-7 guys on the board but i like patton and collins as big men that can potentially play the 4/5 that we may be able to sneak up and get

Trade Vucevic and get that freshman center from Kentucky.

It's funny that about 85% of us wanted Dante Exum too. I think PG is the hardest position to evaluate when it comes to NBA potential. Even Marcus Smart is starting to look promising as his shot has improved

I agree, which is why it wouldn't surprise me if we threw a ton of money at someone like Patty Mills and then drafted Monk, Tatum or Isaac.

eh, Exum was a different situation because we were using international under-18 games to discuss him. With Smith playing in college, in the ACC, we have a deeper data set to pull from.

I agree, which is why it wouldn't surprise me if we threw a ton of money at someone like Patty Mills and then drafted Monk, Tatum or Isaac.

That would be ideal IMO. Mills, Payton, and Augustin would be a great trio of PG's. Then we could draft someone who's a scorer off the bench that has starting potential down the road.

Starters: Vucevic, Gordon, Ross, Fournier, and Mills (free agency)

Bench: Biyombo, Hezonja, Payton, Augustin, Zimmerman,

Draft: Jonathan Isaac (F), Luke Kennard (SG/SF), Amile Jefferson (PF)

Other free agent pickups: Terrence Jones(PF)?

Just some suggestions ( Yes I'm a Duke fan but that'd be a solid draft)

eh, Exum was a different situation because we were using international under-18 games to discuss him. With Smith playing in college, in the ACC, we have a deeper data set to pull from.

Regardless it doesn't change the fact that we wanted him and felt he could be the next great PG.

Regardless it doesn't change the fact that we wanted him and felt he could be the next great PG.

sure. but if you pull on that thread we quickly go from We wanted Exum -> we were wrong about exum -> we'll be wrong in the future -> we could be wrong about any prospect we discuss -> why even discuss draft prospects at all?