Q5Magic

2016 Off-Season Thread

That's what I said... Hedo over McGrady is pretty absurd, but I guess successful teams stick out to casual fans

But hedo wasn't over mcgrady. Hedo was set at 5 and Mcgrady moved on to battle Penny or someone for #4

http://www.todaysfastbreak.com/nba-east/orlando-magic/scalettas-summer-top-100-countdown-68-aaron-gordon/

They also have their Aaron Gordon breakdown up. Out of all of the ones I have read so far, this seems to be the most threadbare and one I disagree with the most. He has Gordon's ceiling at 60 and floor at 150. If he has Zach Lavine's ceiling at 50 and floor at 100 and has Wiggin's ceiling at 35 and floor at 90, Gordon should be in the same general vicinity. The only knock on him is that he will be playing mainly at a different position, but that is little reason to put his ceiling and floors below a player that he has outperformed in almost every way so far in their careers.

http://www.todaysfastbreak.com/nba-east/orlando-magic/scalettas-summer-top-100-countdown-68-aaron-gordon/

They also have their Aaron Gordon breakdown up. Out of all of the ones I have read so far, this seems to be the most threadbare and one I disagree with the most. He has Gordon's ceiling at 60 and floor at 150. If he has Zach Lavine's ceiling at 50 and floor at 100 and has Wiggin's ceiling at 35 and floor at 90, Gordon should be in the same general vicinity. The only knock on him is that he will be playing mainly at a different position, but that is little reason to put his ceiling and floors below a player that he has outperformed in almost every way so far in their careers.

yeah, that's why I didn't post that one.

I really don't care about the rankings because they don't matter (it seems foolish to argue the rankings where you could easily have Beal, who was ranked 95, over Fournier, ranked 90 and both over Mahinmi, ranked 81. so the rankings don't really matter) but every other one has had an in depth look at the player.

Gordon was basically "he played much better the second half of the year, he's probably a better PF, 82 games said he played poorly as a SF, and the magic now crowded his spot".

so yeah, just throw the rankings out when you read them and chalk Gordon's post up to fatigue or something. Most of the other ones are very well researched including today's George Hill story.

yeah, that's why I didn't post that one.

I really don't care about the rankings because they don't matter (it seems foolish to argue the rankings where you could easily have Beal, who was ranked 95, over Fournier, ranked 90 and both over Mahinmi, ranked 81. so the rankings don't really matter) but every other one has had an in depth look at the player.

Gordon was basically "he played much better the second half of the year, he's probably a better PF, 82 games said he played poorly as a SF, and the magic now crowded his spot".

so yeah, just throw the rankings out when you read them and chalk Gordon's post up to fatigue or something. Most of the other ones are very well researched including today's George Hill story.

Yeah, most of them are pretty good and thoughtful. I am looking at more the range that he gave, in that Gordon should be in the same general range as Wiggins and LaVine. Then at least I don't think my homerism is completely overdoing it even though most of Gordon's advanced stats completely blow both of theirs away.

Yeah, most of them are pretty good and thoughtful. I am looking at more the range that he gave, in that Gordon should be in the same general range as Wiggins and LaVine. Then at least I don't think my homerism is completely overdoing it even though most of Gordon's advanced stats completely blow both of theirs away.

I mean he ranked Gordon over Wiggins and Lavine so you figure he's got more faith in Gordon.

Gordon is kind of a hard player to rank in these things because so much of his optimism is based on what he might be and what the league is turning into.

We've seen him shoot. We've seen him run a fast break. we've seen him drive to the basket. We've seen him play smothering perimeter defense and block three pointers. We've seen a first step, leaping ability, and body control that lets him cut through the lane and contort his body while absorbing contact.

But he doesn't do any of this consistently based on the fact he can't legally drink for almost another month and wasn't getting consistent minutes. He started out last year being productive before his minutes took a hit and he had a 20 game slump. Then he started being productive without minutes again. Then in mid January he got the minutes and his efficiency took a hit but he turned into a 10/10 guy. Then it was like the lightbulb went on against golden state and he turned into a high efficiency 15/8 guy for 11 games. then he went into another slump. then he finished strongly.

So he's all over the place and better suited for a position he's going to now get limited minutes at. So I'm not surprised a national guy has a tough time with him. We still don't know if we should picture him as Kawhi or some off brand Draymond Green.

I just hope, for whatever player he turns into, he gets closer to 32 mpg vs the 23 he did last year (even 28 as a starter).

I mean he ranked Gordon over Wiggins and Lavine so you figure he's got more faith in Gordon.

Gordon is kind of a hard player to rank in these things because so much of his optimism is based on what he might be and what the league is turning into.

We've seen him shoot. We've seen him run a fast break. we've seen him drive to the basket. We've seen him play smothering perimeter defense and block three pointers. We've seen a first step, leaping ability, and body control that lets him cut through the lane and contort his body while absorbing contact.

But he doesn't do any of this consistently based on the fact he can't legally drink for almost another month and wasn't getting consistent minutes. He started out last year being productive before his minutes took a hit and he had a 20 game slump. Then he started being productive without minutes again. Then in mid January he got the minutes and his efficiency took a hit but he turned into a 10/10 guy. Then it was like the lightbulb went on against golden state and he turned into a high efficiency 15/8 guy for 11 games. then he went into another slump. then he finished strongly.

So he's all over the place and better suited for a position he's going to now get limited minutes at. So I'm not surprised a national guy has a tough time with him. We still don't know if we should picture him as Kawhi or some off brand Draymond Green.

I just hope, for whatever player he turns into, he gets closer to 32 mpg vs the 23 he did last year (even 28 as a starter).

think his # isn't really a true ranking as much as it is a ball park #. He is more emphatic about the floor/ceiling numbers, which is why it is weird that Gordon is "ranked" at 68 when he puts his "floor" as 150 and "ceiling" at 60. So he is already close to his ceiling? But enough griping about his ranking system.

I agree that he has had his rough patches, but very few young players are super consistent, as I know you are well aware. The scary thing is he seems to still be all potential, but most players who are all potential aren't that good.

1.Shaq

2.McGrady

3.Penny

4.Hill

5.Dwight

Everyone else who cares

1. Penny

2. Shaq

3. D12

4. T'Mac

5. Hedo

You guys have no clue how great Penny was. He was spectacular. May have become top 5 all time NBA great if it wasn't for his injuries.

1. Penny

2. Shaq

3. D12

4. T'Mac

5. Hedo

You guys have no clue how great Penny was. He was spectacular. May have become top 5 all time NBA great if it wasn't for his injuries.

Lol. He wasn't even going to be top 5 in the league. He wasn't even the best player on his own team.

McGrady's 02-03 was arguably a top 25 nba season of all time.

1. Penny

2. Shaq

3. D12

4. T'Mac

5. Hedo

Please...I remember it like it was this morning.

I loved watching Penny play (I'm an former pg who loved to pass with creativity and fundamentally) and Penny was an all around, remarkable, player but Tmac was a few steps above Penny.

I don't think you have an clue how good Tmac was and how great he really could've been. He was well on his way to becoming one of the GOAT.