Q5Magic

2016 Off-Season Thread

I disagree. There's a difference between having a bad team and losing intentionally

We purposefully obtained young players and use cap room for asset acquisition with the idea that those young players would grow and lose because young teams always lose.

We also strategically held players out of games when we started to win. This is why afflalo miraculously missed the final 12 games of 2013 in order to secure the worst record.

We held guys out longer than they needed to in order to push for better draft picks

Losing intentionally is illegal. Creating a situation where losses are more likely than wins is tanking

We purposefully obtained young players and use cap room for asset acquisition with the idea that those young players would grow and lose because young teams always lose.

We also strategically held players out of games when we started to win. This is why afflalo miraculously missed the final 12 games of 2013 in order to secure the worst record.

We held guys out longer than they needed to in order to push for better draft picks

Losing intentionally is illegal. Creating a situation where losses are more likely than wins is tanking

I see it as a complete rebuild rather than tanking. We could have gone after vets and tried to win 25-35 games but that would have been stupid. Our team wasn't good whether by design or not, and we would have only been a shade better overpaying decent vets because no one wanted to come here for a bottom up rebuild

I see it as a complete rebuild rather than tanking. We could have gone after vets and tried to win 25-35 games but that would have been stupid. Our team wasn't good whether by design or not, and we would have only been a shade better overpaying decent vets because no one wanted to come here for a bottom up rebuild

What you're describing is taking though. If that's not tanking, nobody is tanking. Philly did the same thing

What you're describing is taking though. If that's not tanking, nobody is tanking. Philly did the same thing

Okay then it's what I said because to me tanking implies losing intentionally. We were rebuilding and sucked but we didn't lose intentionally...we were just legitimately terrible

We also tanked for Dwight fwiw. Tanking is smart.

Not really. We were stuck in the worst portion of the Grant Hill saga, and T-Mac was left to shoulder the load all on his own. We sucked by circumstance, not by design.

Okay then it's what I said because to me tanking implies losing intentionally. We were rebuilding and sucked but we didn't lose intentionally...we were just legitimately terrible

This.

Losing due to circumstance, because of injury, because of loss of players, I can get behind. That's not tanking. The team may suck, but you're still trying.

Losing by design, intentionally making yourself as bad as possible to secure better draft picks, I absolutely will not endorse under any circumstances.

Also, neglecting to sign mediocre veterans because they won't make you better long term and will hinder your long term objectives, is not tanking.

Keeping your players out when they are healthy so that you can lose more games, is tanking, and is entirely unacceptable in my view.

Not really. We were stuck in the worst portion of the Grant Hill saga, and T-Mac was left to shoulder the load all on his own. We sucked by circumstance, not by design.

And Grant hill said a few years ago that he was ready to come back with about 20 games left in the season and we held him out to preserve the worst record.

How is unintentionally being bad better than intentionally? If its unintentional it probably means you're now saddled with some bad contracts

And Grant hill said a few years ago that he was ready to come back with about 20 games left in the season and we held him out to preserve the worst record.

No offense, but **** Grant Hill

How is unintentionally being bad better than intentionally? If its unintentional it probably means you're now saddled with some bad contracts

No, there's lots of reasons a team can be unintentionally bad. But at least unintentional means they want to be good.