Q5Magic

2016 Off-Season Thread

I really like Alex Poythress. I think he can make the roster. Does anyone know who picked up Wayne Seldon Jr.?

Do you like poythress? Or have you just heard of poythress?

Mario is a better defender than Fournier

you really believe this? What makes you think this? I don't disagree but I don't remember seeing anything out of Mario to show good defense. If so, that's really great.

you really believe this? What makes you think this? I don't disagree but I don't remember seeing anything out of Mario to show good defense. If so, that's really great.

Once the game slowed down for him at some point after that Dallas game he really picked things up. His reputation as a bad defender comes more from one or two plays where he's completely out of position followed by him getting yanked rather than actual ability

Once the game slowed down for him at some point after that Dallas game he really picked things up. His reputation as a bad defender comes more from one or two plays where he's completely out of position followed by him getting yanked rather than actual ability

interesting, and very encouraging. I always expected him to be a capable defender but not this soon. I'll have to go back and watch some of those games again. Think he can better defend SGs or SFs?

I love Paraons shooting, but I'd be worried about our perimeter defense with Payton, Fournier, Parsons.

Not sure why you'd be so worried, unless it's his injuries. Parsons is a really solid defender at the 3 when healthy. Not really much worse than Batum. I'm all for Parsons if his knee holds up (that's a big if, though).

The reason we use stats in concert with games is all of our brains are imperfect recording devices. For example, the second video I watched for the above post was Jeff green's 30 point game because I have vivid memories of Jeff green dominating Fournier. Turns out Fournier rarely defended him, it was Harris's bad defense instead.

Fournier needs as few minutes at SF as possible.

I disagree. He's shown to be far more effective on offense as a 3. I would say he needs as many minutes as possible at the 3, so long as it's not against the stronger guys he just can't defend.

Fournier needs as few minutes at SF as possible.

The other main concern is two point guard lineups. Philly killed Fournier with the Smith/canaan backcourt. When Atlanta tried to do that to us with Teague Schroder we just sat Fournier and played Oladipo but we don't have that now.

We need a backup 2 that can defend point guards or else teams are just going to out small us.

some rumors:

- listening to a podcast, it was reported sometime during this season, Rob had moved Fournier into tier 1 of franchise centerpieces. Vic was in tier 2.

- listening to same podcast, Magic brass have serious concerns about Parsons' injury history and character. I doubt we offer max, if we're interested.

- usatoday says Magic interested in Demar Derozen (i don't believe it, but it was reported)

https://soundcloud.com/magic-basketball-online-137665379/penny-pops-podcast-magicbasketballonlinecom-episode-8-june-24-2016

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/raptors/2016/06/26/demar-derozan-bismark-biyombo-masai-ujiri-raptors-free-agents/86403132/?hootPostID=3b8198a17d3f5ba7ce31b878360fc31e

I disagree. He's shown to be far more effective on offense as a 3. I would say he needs as many minutes as possible at the 3, so long as it's not against the stronger guys he just can't defend.

We need to be versatile enough to change our strategy based on the opponent. Play Fournier at 3 when we can buy not by default.

The other main concern is two point guard lineups. Philly killed Fournier with the Smith/canaan backcourt. When Atlanta tried to do that to us with Teague Schroder we just sat Fournier and played Oladipo but we don't have that now.

We need a backup 2 that can defend point guards or else teams are just going to out small us.

I think Conley and Payton could coexist for small stretches