Fultz4thewin

The Official 2015-2016 Regular Season Thread

If last year all good SL had Payton, why would Payton regress so much this year? I think there's a chance Skiles or his system is not utilizing the players' skill set.

Last year ALL SL had Payton. Back-up PG was Ridnour. Skiles' system doesn't utilize his skill set, it asks him to gain skills rather than relying on talent, because talent alone doesn't win. Payton's skill set is horrendously limited as an NBA player. He's very raw. He also doesn't seem to get that.

If last year all good SL had Payton, why would Payton regress so much this year? I think there's a chance Skiles or his system is not utilizing the players' skill set.

Because that's not what my post said at all...

We played 250 lineups last year. of those lineups I limited them to ones that include vucevic. the ones I listed were the only ones that played well in both facets of the game.

Here's the bottom line...This team for the first time in 4 years has not only a coach who puts winning above any individual but also has management backing that. During the JV tank era, no one was really held accountable. JV near the end tried but it was too little too late. The mannerisms and habits were already ingrained.

One thing I learned through my life is when bad habits are developed through time it takes a lot more time to relearn new and improved habits. You first must break down the subject and begin the relearning process. It's long and hellish. Some can get through the break down quicker than others. They also seem to learn quicker. This is the exception not the rule. Most will go through pains of regrowth.

Skiles is doing what he was brought in to do. Break them down and rebuild them back up. Is he leading us to a ship? Who knows? Unlikely but it's hard to predict because there's so many variables involved. What I think he will do is teach this unit to look within themselves. Those that don't will be weeded out. For Payton, this is his opportunity to rise above. He's got the fight in him but what he has ingrained in himself has to be broken down first. You can see he's in this process just by how he handled the last post game.

Instead of looking within himself, he got agitated and pulled an one liner basically saying he's not the problem. I might be misinterpreting it but everything I mentioned above says I'm not.

The telling sign will be how he comes out each game. He's either going to direct that frustration into his game by looking more within himself or he's going to be a pulled weed.

It's in him and Skiles, having his flaws, is trying to keep the latter from happening to Payton.

Here's the bottom line...This team for the first time in 3 years has not only a coach who puts winning above any individual but also has management backing that. During the JV tank era, no one was really held accountable. JV near the end tried but it was too little too late. The mannerisms and habits were already ingrained.

One thing I learned through my life is when bad habits are developed through time it takes a lot more time to relearn new and improved habits. You first must break down the subject and begin the relearning process. It's long and hellish. Some can get through the break down quicker than others. They also seem to learn quicker. This is the exception not the rule. Most will go through pains of regrowth.

Skiles is doing what he was brought in to do. Break them down and rebuild them back up. Is he leading us to a ship? Who knows? Unlikely but it's hard to predict because there's so many variables involved. What I think he will do is teach this unit to look within themselves. Those that don't will be weeded out. For Payton, this is his opportunity to rise above. He's got the fight in him but what he has ingrained in himself has to be broken down first. You can see he's in this process just by how he handled the last post game.

Instead of looking within himself, he got agitated and pulled an one liner basically saying he's not the problem. I might be misinterpreting it but everything I mentioned above says I'm not.

The telling sign will be how he comes out each game. He's either going to direct that frustration into his game by looking more within himself or he's going to be a pulled weed.

It's in him and Skiles, having his flaws, is trying to keep the latter from happening to Payton.

what part of breaking down bad habits is designing a defensive scheme that gives up corner threes when analytics have screamed at us for the last 10 years that corner threes are the highest value shot in the league.

The young core could benefit from veteran players that know how to win. If you look at the vets we've had throughout the rebuild, they're high character guys but very few have spent time in consistent winning locker rooms. Its why the experience of all these close games this year hasn't translated in to more W's, the kids get frustrated and upset in close losses not realizing if we played every night like we played the OKC games this year (for example) we'd be a playoff squad.

It's been a frustrating year, I've even had several posts where I allude the sky may be falling in the heat of an emotional post game thread, but this team is moving in the right direction. The roster is somewhat flawed, but we have all the flexibility in the world to fix it. My only regret is that I bought a Payton jersey last year after much debate between going with a Gordon or an Oladipo, but I loved rookie Payton! Hopefully he finds his mojo.

what part of breaking down bad habits is designing a defensive scheme that gives up corner threes when analytics have screamed at us for the last 10 years that corner threes are the highest value shot in the league.

How are we for certain that's by Skiles design?

I'm not going in depth about Skile's in game coaching. My post was more about Payton and his ineffectiveness, approach, and the pros of Skiles. I have cons in Skiles. I've made that clear in many other posts.

actually, maybe I'm wrong. Maybe we fixed the corner three issue and are now giving up a bunch of wing threes.

LA- 4 left wing threes, 4 right wing threes, 1 left corner three

GS- 9 left wing threes, 2 right wing threes, 3 right corner three

PHX- 4 left wing threes, 1 right wing three

CHI- 4 left wing threes, 1 right wing three, 1 left corner three

DAL- 3 left wing threes, 1 right wing three, 3 left corner threes, 2 right corner threes

Philly went 5/22 so I don't care

New York went 4/16 so I don't care. they got something like 22 fgs at the rim

GS- 6 left wing threes, 5 right wing threes

PHI- 6 left wing threes, 2 right wing threes, 2 right corner threes

IND-1 left wing three, 3 right wing threes, 4 left corner threes, 1 right corner threes

DAL- 3 left wing threes, 8 right wing threes, 5 left corner threes, 2 right corner threes

so yeah, looks like the problem from earlier in the season has migrated to the wings.

actually, maybe I'm wrong. Maybe we fixed the corner three issue and are now giving up a bunch of wing threes.

LA- 4 left wing threes, 4 right wing threes, 1 left corner three

GS- 9 left wing threes, 2 right wing threes, 3 right corner three

PHX- 4 left wing threes, 1 right wing three

CHI- 4 left wing threes, 1 right wing three, 1 left corner three

DAL- 3 left wing threes, 1 right wing three, 3 left corner threes, 2 right corner threes

Philly went 5/22 so I don't care

New York went 4/16 so I don't care. they got something like 22 fgs at the rim

GS- 6 left wing threes, 5 right wing threes

PHI- 6 left wing threes, 2 right wing threes, 2 right corner threes

IND-1 left wing three, 3 right wing threes, 4 left corner threes, 1 right corner threes

DAL- 3 left wing threes, 8 right wing threes, 5 left corner threes, 2 right corner threes

so yeah, looks like the problem from earlier in the season has migrated to the wings.

Seems to me this might be a player issue.

Seems to me this might be a player issue.

well, watch tomorrow and figure out how teams get left wing threes.

Earlier in the season we gave up corner threes because everybody was standing with one foot in the paint on the weakside and they couldn't get out fast enough to contest. Literally every player.

When one player does something its on the player. when everyone does something the same way it's scheme. They're being told to do something.

basically, if most of the wing threes are marco belinelli running off of three screens and getting open shots on the wing then that's on oladipo/Fournier/hezonja/Watson fighting through the screens better.

If its a defensive spacing thing that might be on scheme depending on if it's consistently doing the same thing.

If they pass the ball around a bunch and we're left with Jason Smith being slow to rotate then that's on Smith.

Via Josh Robbins on Twitter

No Vooch tomorrow, EP questionable and not practicing today with a right elbow sprain.

Payton shadow suspension. imo.