Sign in to follow this  
Mauro Pedrosa

GAMETHREAD: ORLANDO @ Milwaukee

Borrego is not going to be the coach next year. We win 2 in a row, 1 against one of the worse teams in the league, and people want the coach to stay again. Rob is not going to gamble the future of his job on JB. It would have had to of been a complete 180 turnaround when JB tookover for him to keep this job. JB is far better than JV ever was but he won't be coaching here next year IMO.

Borrego is not going to be the coach next year. We win 2 in a row, 1 against one of the worse teams in the league, and people want the coach to stay again. Rob is not going to gamble the future of his job on JB. It would have had to of been a complete 180 turnaround when JB tookover for him to keep this job. JB is far better than JV ever was but he won't be coaching here next year IMO.

I guess this is true. I keep thinking we've won more games under him than we have. Truthfully, it's that the team looks better together and games are closer than they ever were when JV was a coach. But we're still getting beat substantially by the best teams and aren't finishing like we should often.

If anything, I believe that the players really do enjoy working for him and he really loves them (as seen by the tech he does last night for getting a little too fired up on the sideline).

Would they keep Borrego on the sideline? Can they with a new coach coming in? I'm seeing him as gone either HC or gone.

I guess this is true. I keep thinking we've won more games under him than we have. Truthfully, it's that the team looks better together and games are closer than they ever were when JV was a coach. But we're still getting beat substantially by the best teams and aren't finishing like we should often.

If anything, I believe that the players really do enjoy working for him and he really loves them (as seen by the tech he does last night for getting a little too fired up on the sideline).

Would they keep Borrego on the sideline? Can they with a new coach coming in? I'm seeing him as gone either HC or gone.

If the Magic win 2 more games this year, Borrego will finish with a .366 winning percentage compared to Vaughn's dismal .288 this year. If it wasn't for the 2 games that the Magic players absolutely gave away with less than a minute to play, Borrego's percentage could be over .400. As of late, he has left our highest paid player on the bench and replaced him with minimum paid player by the name of Dedmon, and gotten positive results. It's obvious to anyone who understands how much chemistry means to a team that the players like playing for the man. If Henny can get a proven winning NBA coach this summer, I think he will, and if that happens, he will want to bring in his own assistants. If not, I can see Borrego getting the opportunity to coach this team.

If the Magic win 2 more games this year, Borrego will finish with a .366 winning percentage compared to Vaughn's dismal .288 this year. If it wasn't for the 2 games that the Magic players absolutely gave away with less than a minute to play, Borrego's percentage could be over .400. As of late, he has left our highest paid player on the bench and replaced him with minimum paid player by the name of Dedmon, and gotten positive results. It's obvious to anyone who understands how much chemistry means to a team that the players like playing for the man. If Henny can get a proven winning NBA coach this summer, I think he will, and if that happens, he will want to bring in his own assistants. If not, I can see Borrego getting the opportunity to coach this team.

Back when he was promoted we did a thought experiment. You stated he needed to go 15-15 for you to be comfortable with keeping him as coach.

Right now he's 9-16 with a high likelihood that he finishes at 11-19 or worse.

What changed your mind?

Back when he was promoted we did a thought experiment. You stated he needed to go 15-15 for you to be comfortable with keeping him as coach.

What changed your mind?

At 15-15, I would consider him a slam dunk. I would still prefer a seasoned NBA coach, but would prefer Borrego over a college coach with no NBA experience.

I really would have no probs keeping Borrego around if we don't have a real slam dunk choice this summer.

The players obviously like him and play hard for him. We could always hire some exNBA head coaches to be his assistants.

And, we can always fire him if someone great coach becomes free.

And its not like Borrego is a slouch either. He worked hard to get to his position and started from a video boy and became an assistant coach on a really good Spurs team.

Very similar background as the Heat's coach. I really wonder what the Magic would look like if he was hired as head coach three years ago instead of JV.

What changed your mind?

Good recon. I don't remember what I said, I think it was like at worse 20-10. It would have had to be a complete turnaround. That's not slight to Borrego, I wish he would have been our hire over Vaughn. But at this time, we will be going with an outside hire. It would be cool if JB could stay on as an assistant although IDK how he would feel about that for one, and also don't know if a new coach would want that.

Good recon. I don't remember what I said, I think it was like at worse 20-10. It would have had to be a complete turnaround. That's not slight to Borrego, I wish he would have been our hire over Vaughn. But at this time, we will be going with an outside hire. It would be cool if JB could stay on as an assistant although IDK how he would feel about that for one, and also don't know if a new coach would want that.

I agree. My number was 17-13. I don't think we should keep Borrego as a head coach.

My main concern is teams typically wake up for a change in coaching. They hear a new voice in the locker room and start paying attention for the sole fact that it's a different message.

Borrego is better than Vaughn but is he drastically better? Or did the team just tune out Vaughn after 2.5 years? Is Borrego such a great head coach that they'll still listen to him in 18 months?

Maybe, but I don't think 10 wins is good enough to hand him the keys. I'd rather get Alvin Gentry, a guy who knows how to install an nba defense and has experience coaching in the western conference finals

I agree. My number was 17-13. I don't think we should keep Borrego as a head coach.

My main concern is teams typically wake up for a change in coaching. They hear a new voice in the locker room and start paying attention for the sole fact that it's a different message.

Borrego is better than Vaughn but is he drastically better? Or did the team just tune out Vaughn after 2.5 years? Is Borrego such a great head coach that they'll still listen to him in 18 months?

Maybe, but I don't think 10 wins is good enough to hand him the keys. I'd rather get Alvin Gentry, a guy who knows how to install an nba defense and has experience coaching in the western conference finals

No to your first question and yes to your second. This is why we will have a new coach next season. I like Gentry. Honestly, there's few guys I would be upset with, just want a proven coach that can get the most out of our players every night while implementing an identity on both ends of the floor.