Soul Bro

Official 2015 Offseason Thread

http://www.orlandose...409-column.html

I hope this is just posturing to discourage bids.

I think this speaks more to what Henny sees as being realistically available to us in future free agency. I mean lets face it, the odds of us landing a Durant, Aldridge, or similar talent are pretty long so why not pay Harris and keep him as an asset? Best case scenario he continues to improve and lives up to his contract. Worst case he can be traded down the road, hopefully for a missing piece when we are seriously ready to contend.

On a similar note, this is the off-season where I expect Henny to go all in and put us in a position to take the next step. If Henny can nail the draft (Winslow/Hezonja in my book..I expect him to aggressively go after one of these two even if we get screwed in draft lottery), add Thibs (or stick with JB if he feels he's the guy), and maybe acquire a rim protector we will not be in the lottery again for a long, long time.

About the lottery, I personally hope we just stay put at 5 as Okafor and Mudiay are not good fits and I am not nearly as enamored as most with Karl Anthony-Towns. Russell is nice but I love Winslow and Hezonja brings something we are sorely missing...elite caliber shooting.

I think this speaks more to what Henny sees as being realistically available to us in future free agency. I mean lets face it, the odds of us landing a Durant, Aldridge, or similar talent are pretty long so why not pay Harris and keep him as an asset? Best case scenario he continues to improve and lives up to his contract. Worst case he can be traded down the road, hopefully for a missing piece when we are seriously ready to contend.

It's typically very hard to trade a player as an asset when they're paid 50% more than they're worth.

It's typically very hard to trade a player as an asset when they're paid 50% more than they're worth.

At the moment we don't even know what he'll wind up being paid (much less whether he will or won't be able to live up to his contract), but yeah, if he indeed ends up being paid 50% more than he's worth you're probably right...no argument here. Henny has to determine the risk/reward of that scenario versus letting him walk for nothing but it sounds like he may be leaning towards matching at the moment, and I do think that's largely based on the FA landscape and the fact that a higher percentage of teams will have money once the salary-cap increases which significantly decreases our chances of landing elite talent.

At the moment we don't even know what he'll wind up being paid (much less whether he will or won't be able to live up to his contract), but yeah, if he indeed ends up being paid 50% more than he's worth you're probably right...no argument here. Henny has to determine the risk/reward of that scenario versus letting him walk for nothing but it sounds like he may be leaning towards matching at the moment, and I do think that's largely based on the FA landscape and the fact that a higher percentage of teams will have money once the salary-cap increases which significantly decreases our chances of landing elite talent.

I think, based on contracts for rudy gay, Harris isn't worth more than 12ish million per year

I think, based on contracts for rudy gay, Harris isn't worth more than 12ish million per year

I'd agree with that. So for him to be paid "50 percent more than he's worth" he'd have to be making what, $18M per?

Or Payton4thewin and I have different opinions of the value of Tobias Harris.

Yes, I assumed you were more a $10M per guy since he can't even make $18M per under the current CBA. Obviously none of our opinions on his value have any relevance to the reality of what he ultimately gets paid and how he may or may not perform. He could get paid the max and live up to it (doubt it) or get paid $10-12M per and plateau. This is what Hennigan and company have to be debating, however, he is a bird in hand and I think that has to factor in to some extent.

I've beat the drum for Danny Green already, but I'm even more convinced he should be a top target for us. A stud shooter and solid defender with a 6'10'' wingspan, he'd be great at SG or SF for us… This year he has a RPM of 5.2 and WARP of 10.14, while last year his RPM was 3.51 and his WARP was 6.13.

You're hearing it here from me… I'd now rather sign Green than Harris…. to balance out our young team. Boom!!!

This doesn't mean I'm not a fan of Harris, rather that as my OPs indicate, we need:

1. Proven Coach (Thibs)

2. Proven Shooters

3. Proven Frontcourt (PF) Defenders

Im not sure. I'm starting to think we'll keep Tobias. With the cap set to increase paying Tobias 15 mil a year under a 90 mil cap (about the projected 2016 cap) is equivalent to paying him 10 mil under this one. That's the worst case. The best case is the market isn't really there for him and we pay him 12 mil a year or less which looks even better with the cap increase.

Pass

I think some are slightly overrating Tobias. He doesn't do any one thing really well. He can't defend and on offense he's where ball movement goes to die. I mean, don't get me wrong, I like the guy, but he's not anywhere near a max player, and I wouldn't even give him 10 a year.