Soul Bro

Official 2015 Offseason Thread

No, you're arguing a point I believe is categorically false, that's all.

16.9 points, 6.1 rebounds, 1.9 assists and 1.0 steals per game on 46.3 FG%, 36.1 3P% and 79.2 FT% are very respectable numbers and far from mediocre, even though he's on a mediocre team. And just because he's doing it on mediocre team doesn't mean he couldn't immediately contribute on playoff team (e.g. Jeff Green to the Grizz). If we acquired a random player in free agency with identical numbers, most fans would be grateful. Moreover, Harris is holding opponents to a PER of 14.9 at the SF spot and 14.4 at the PF spot. Meanwhile, Dipo is holding opposing SGs to a PER of 16.4.

There is this false narrative on this board that Harris is greatly to the blame for this team's woes, which is far from true. Outside of Vooch, he's been the most consistent contributor over the last two years for the Magic and the numbers back that up. Can he be replaced? Sure. Is he worth replacing? Maybe. Has he been solid? Yes.

You keep using stats that are ignoring a good 25% of games played...

Harris was a steal. A guy who barely played to an NBA starter. But I believe, and have always believed his best role is a 6th man. He can play 2 positions off the bench and dominate a second unit. In many ways he is like an Aflallo - a guy who can start when you have injury, but on a good team he is one of the first guys off the bench.

Aflallo had a near all star year with us because we were really bad and had no scoring anywhere else. He also dominated the ball like Harris and easily got 16-20 a night as a result. Does this mean he is a star player worth the max or even a starter? No. It means a great team would value him as a super reserve.

The Magic, long term could resign Harris for the same role. If you have Harris coming off the bench,your bench is already far better than it was. I would not be stunned if Orlando drafted a wing (depending on draft spot) and still resigned Harris. Why not? We have the worst bench in the NBA right now.

Harris is young, yes, but he hasn't shown much improvement since we acquired him. His RPM (real plus minus) is -2.35 (317th in the league) and his WAR (wins above replacement player) is ZERO. He is the very definition of mediocre in this league. If you're wondering about the breakdown in his RPM, his Offensive side of the equation is ZERO, and his defense is -2.35.

Captain, you must have missed the post where Payton4thewin said RPM and WARP were not reliable for a given season.

Harris was a steal. A guy who barely played to an NBA starter. But I believe, and have always believed his best role is a 6th man. He can play 2 positions off the bench and dominate a second unit. In many ways he is like an Aflallo - a guy who can start when you have injury, but on a good team he is one of the first guys off the bench.

Aflallo had a near all star year with us because we were really bad and had no scoring anywhere else. He also dominated the ball like Harris and easily got 16-20 a night as a result. Does this mean he is a star player worth the max or even a starter? No. It means a great team would value him as a super reserve.

We agree.

Captain, you must have missed the post where Payton4thewin said RPM and WARP were not reliable for a given season.

They aren't.

There are no reliable macro level statistics in the nba that say player x is better than player y because of #. You have to use multiple numbers to come up with conclusions or else you end up with improper data. Like PER. If you take PER and use it as a base evaluation tool, Hassan Whiteside is a better player than lebron and Vucevic is a top 20 player in the nba.

I still love everyone, especially my fellow Mods smile_creaturedance.gif

For the record, I want a new flippin' coach, a 3-and-D starting SF (not Harris… I think he's worth 10 mil/yr as a role player), a beater of a PF, more shooters, and a good back-up PG like Jack.

Again my only untouchable on the Magic is Payton, though I do see the value in consistency.

EDIT: And I want Winston on the Bucs

I still love everyone, especially my fellow Mods smile_creaturedance.gif

For the record, I want a new flippin' coach, a 3-and-D starting SF (not Harris… I think he's worth 10 mil/yr as a role player), a beater of a PF, more shooters, and a good back-up PG like Jack.

Again my only untouchable on the Magic is Payton, though I do see the value in consistency.

EDIT: And I want Winston on the Bucs

Please keep up this conversation. So bored at work. This filled up a good 30 minutes.

PAYTON CUT HIS HAIRPAYTON CUT HIS HAIRPAYTON CUT HIS HAIRPAYTON CUT HIS HAIRPAYTON CUT HIS HAIRPAYTON CUT HIS HAIR

:(/>

I'm thinking its an April Fool's photoshop released by the Magic

I'm thinking its an April Fool's photoshop released by the Magic

Yeah, I was too focused on his head and didn't notice the obvious Photoshop cropping near his elbow.

First, I'm not bound by his statements or opinions. Second, I'm not submitting them as stand alone items but in support. ;-)

First, I'm not bound by his statements or opinions. Second, I'm not submitting them in support. ;-)

You're not?

Boy I've been wasting some time.