Sign in to follow this  
Franchero MVP

GAMETHREAD: New Orleans Pelicans @ Orlando Magic

So we've gone from massively overrating Kyle O'Quinn to massively overrating Dedmon?

That's cool.

Excuse me, for a minute. I need to go ask my father to remind me why we never had a second flood.

I don't think it's overrating Dedmon as much as some of us feel that Frye's spacing ability is overrated. At least Dedmon can play defense, and our defense is better when he's on the floor.

It's getting to the point where Dedmon should just start over Frye, period. Don't care how much Frye is getting paid, don't care about spacing, he's just flat. Out. Playing. Better.

Borrego (BoGo, in my household) has me really excited to go to the next game. They're just far more watchable and the effort is real.

Since BoGo took over , Frye's minutes have been reduced from 28 MPG to 18 MPG. Defense wins games.

Dedmon is way underrated around here. That boy is like Ben Wallace 2.0. Wow!

BWAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHA

Sorry Catalina Maria but he was right to laugh at you.

People aren't overrating Dedmon like they were overrating KOQ -- I remember seeing posts about people saying he could get 5-8 mill per year; that's just crazy.

But what's wrong with being pleased with Dedmon's performance? This whole season it seemed our defense sucked really bad and our players play with a lackluster attitude.

The guy is a cheap contract that brings in energy off the bench and appears to hold up our defense with the second unit. Yeah, his offense leaves a lot to be desired, but the guy blocks, affects shots, and rebounds - exactly what we need from a backup center. I think he'll continue to get better with his fouls as the season goes on.

Sorry Catalina Maria but he was right to laugh at you.

People aren't overrating Dedmon like they were overrating KOQ -- I remember seeing posts about people saying he could get 5-8 mill per year; that's just crazy.

But what's wrong with being pleased with Dedmon's performance? This whole season it seemed our defense sucked really bad and our players play with a lackluster attitude.

The guy is a cheap contract that brings in energy off the bench and appears to hold up our defense with the second unit. Yeah, his offense leaves a lot to be desired, but the guy blocks, affects shots, and rebounds - exactly what we need from a backup center. I think he'll continue to get better with his fouls as the season goes on.

I might add that turnovers have been killing this team. Since January 1st Dedmon has 5 turnovers. That's right, 5 turnovers and 14 blocked shots, while averaging 11 minutes a game. Frye has averaged 23 minutes a game during that time span and 23 total turnovers with only 8 blocked shots. Frye's FG% since January 1st is 34.9%. Yet folks still claim he's a bargain.

I might add that turnovers have been killing this team. Since January 1st Dedmon has 5 turnovers. That's right, 5 turnovers and 14 blocked shots, while averaging 11 minutes a game. Frye has averaged 23 minutes a game during that time span and 23 total turnovers with only 8 blocked shots. Frye's FG% since January 1st is 34.9%. Yet folks still claim he's a bargain.

Definitely. I think its easy to hate on Dedmon because the guy's ceiling isnt too high and he will never be more than a serviceable backup center, but that doesn't change the fact that right now he is bringing what the team needs in terms of defense, rebounding, and work ethic on a nightly basis.

And hey, it may be the fact that Frye is so terrible that it makes Dedmon look good, but whatever -- our defense is better and we are winning.

Definitely. I think its easy to hate on Dedmon because the guy's ceiling isnt too high and he will never be more than a serviceable backup center, but that doesn't change the fact that right now he is bringing what the team needs in terms of defense and work ethic on a nightly basis.

Nobody hates on dedmon. We just needed to maintain our composure and realize that a 25 year old 7 footer blocking a few shots makes him a fun but garden variety player. He's not a defensive player of the year type guy

Well yeah, of course.

But the only person making that comparison is Catalina -- but who takes that person seriously here anyways?

None of the regulars but newbies think he's being serious

Just remember that Wallace had the same numbers and similar game. I am not going to tell you Dedmon will be Ben Wallace but he is producing at the same rate currently at the same point in his career.

The main takeaway to me is that he was barely a rotation player last year. A guy who looked pretty terrible. He has improved his game to being a bench player who can spark on the defensive side. So this is a nice improvement that has happened fairly quickly.

His offensive game is depressingly bad, but for a team who needs paint presence, he has really stepped up and helped out in that regard.

I can tell you right now that someone will pay KO that

Highly doubtful, especially at this point when he's not getting as much burn as he did earlier in the season.

KOQ is at best, a mediocre backup center who's inconsistent both offensively and defensively -- and no one is going to pay him that much to be that. I do think he has room to improve though.

Nobody hates on dedmon. We just needed to maintain our composure and realize that a 25 year old 7 footer blocking a few shots makes him a fun but garden variety player. He's not a defensive player of the year type guy

The best part about Dedmon is his energy seems to be contagious. So far so good under Borrego as well. Without the late collapse against the Bulls, we're looking at 4 - 1 with a couple pretty nice wins.