Sign in to follow this  
Mauro Pedrosa

GAMETHREAD: ORLANDO vs Washington

And if his current pace stays the same or improves after 40 games?

Then you would have a positive trend.

His point is, you can't include the positive outliers while discounting the negative ones and that you can't claim either is really an outlier as 10 games doesnt meet a representative sample of a season.

Then you would have a positive trend.

His point is, you can't include the positive outliers while discounting the negative ones and that you can't claim either is really an outlier as 10 games doesnt meet a representative sample of a season.

And I would agree with that. All I'm saying is that if you look at the last month of last year's season and the 10 games or so that he has played this year, I see a vast improvement from what he was producing before those periods. I believe his stock is rising, but I do not consider him to be worthy of being a starting center in the NBA. Yet. That could change if he keeps progressing, but he absolutely will have to cut down on his personal fouls for that to happen.

And I would agree with that. All I'm saying is that if you look at the last month of last year's season and the 10 games or so that he has played this year, I see a vast improvement from what he was producing before those periods. I believe his stock is rising, but I do not consider him to be worthy of being a starting center in the NBA. Yet. That could change if he keeps progressing, but he absolutely will have to cut down on his personal fouls for that to happen.

Of course his stock is rising. He went from

"probably not an NBA player"

to

"probably an end of the bench bigman"

to

"hustle bench guy, does enough good things to have a positive impact on games, probable 10th or 11th man on an elite team, could have a long NBA career doing this".

That's significant.

Some people here think he's going to be David West. He's not going to be that.

Of course his stock is rising. He went from

"probably not an NBA player"

to

"probably an end of the bench bigman"

to

"hustle bench guy, does enough good things to have a positive impact on games, probable 10th or 11th man on an elite team, could have a long NBA career doing this".

That's significant.

Some people here think he's going to be David West. He's not going to be that.

Does San Antonio qualify as an elite team? Last time I checked they had Tiago Splitter starting for them. For his career he averages 19.7 minutes per game, 8.3 ppg, and 5.3 rpg per game. Oh, and the Spurs pay him $9M annually for that production. I'm willing to bet the Spurs would be more than willing to swap Splitter for O'Quinn even up.

11th man my ass.

• Upvote 1

Does San Antonio qualify as an elite team? Last time I checked they had Tiago Splitter starting for them. For his career he averages 19.7 minutes per game, 8.3 ppg, and 5.3 rpg per game. Oh, and the Spurs pay him $9M annually for that production. I'm willing to bet the Spurs would be more than willing to swap Splitter for O'Quinn even up.

11th man my ass.

Splitter is much much better than o'quinn

11th man my ass.

We offer o'quinn straight up for splitter and the Spurs won't answer our calls anymore.

We offer o'quinn and a hypotherical 15th pick in this upcoming draft for Gorgui Dieng and I don't think the wolves would do it.

We offer o'quinn straight up for splitter and the Spurs won't answer our calls anymore.

We offer o'quinn and a hypotherical 15th pick in this upcoming draft for Gorgui Dieng and I don't think the wolves would do it.

I hope I'm wrong, but I think you're going to find out this summer that there are several NBA teams who value Kyle O'Quinn more than you do. Again, I hope I'm wrong.

I hope I'm wrong, but I think you're going to find out this summer that there are several NBA teams who value Kyle O'Quinn more than you do. Again, I hope I'm wrong.

That doesn't change what he is.

Darrell Arthur got 2/ 9.6m so I'm sure some team will pay him. But that doesn't make him suddenly turn into a better player at 25.

That doesn't change what he is.

Darrell Arthur got 2/ 9.6m so I'm sure some team will pay him. But that doesn't make him suddenly turn into a better player at 25.

See, I normally respect and agree with your assessments. However, while I have I slight bias towards towards O'Quinn, you pose the opposite in that I don't think he'll ever be good enough for you until he's a bonafide All-Star (which I recognize will never happen).

His progress has shown itself. He's not elitely big like some of those I placed on that list, but for what he lacks in athleticism, he makes up for in bball IQ and hard work. Give me a guy who will take good shots, make good passes, and will work harder than the opposite big man any day over a guy who is big and strong but will have lapses of both judgement and hustle. Additionally, O'Quinn is seen as a leader in the Magic locker room, and has been since his rookie year among his peers.

I'm not saying he is an All-Star, but the best teams in the league (San Antonio, OKC. Etc) are teams with all-stars who score, and roles players who make good decisions, make open shots, and work hard on both ends of the floor. O'QUINN IS THAT TYPE OF PLAYER.

This is all speculation by all of us, but I'm willing to bet O'Quinn gets $6/7 million at least this offseason by someone (if not the Magic) and will be given an opportunity to start or at least play major minutes.

See, I normally respect and agree with your assessments. However, while I have I slight bias towards towards O'Quinn, you pose the opposite in that I don't think he'll ever be good enough for you until he's a bonafide All-Star (which I recognize will never happen).

His progress has shown itself. He's not elitely big like some of those I placed on that list, but for what he lacks in athleticism, he makes up for in bball IQ and hard work. Give me a guy who will take good shots, make good passes, and will work harder than the opposite big man any day over a guy who is big and strong but will have lapses of both judgement and hustle. Additionally, O'Quinn is seen as a leader in the Magic locker room, and has been since his rookie year among his peers.

I'm not saying he is an All-Star, but the best teams in the league (San Antonio, OKC. Etc) are teams with all-stars who score, and roles players who make good decisions, make open shots, and work hard on both ends of the floor. O'QUINN IS THAT TYPE OF PLAYER.

This is all speculation by all of us, but I'm willing to bet O'Quinn gets $6/7 million at least this offseason by someone (if not the Magic) and will be given an opportunity to start or at least play major minutes.

See, I'm not anti o'quinn, I'm anti unreasonable expectations for o'quinn.

While O’Quinn is only playing 19 minutes per game, two more than last season, he has increased his scoring average to 10.1 and his rebound total to 5.1 per contest. With O’Quinn off the court the Magic’s plus/minus is -5.9. Not surprisingly, the Magic are much better defensively with O’Quinn on the floor.

O’Quinn’s size and strength make him a formidable defender, think a poor-man’s Draymond Green. The Magic are better defensively from 5-9 feet, 10-14 feet, and 15-19 feet with O’Quinn on the floor.

The Magic are also better offensively with him on the floor, while they shoot similar percentages, the Magic score a much higher percentage of shots as a result of an assist which is a testament to the floor spacing that O’Quinn helps to provide the Magic with.

The Magic currently sit in the 9 seed of the Eastern Conference at 9-16 seem destined to be back in the lottery come June. But with a young core of Victor Oladipo, Elfred Peyton, Aaron Gordon, and Nikolai Vucevic coupled with the steady play of O’Quinn look for the Magic’s continuous improvement.

http://oldfashioned3...ando_magic.html