Sign in to follow this  
CTMagicUK

GAME THREAD: Clippers @ Magic

I think Harris is only more of an All-Star than Oladipo in the sense that he can score more points than Vic. Outside of that, Vic is a better defender and passer, and I would argue has the ability to make the people around him better. Harris's game is very much like Carmelo Anthony in the sense that he can score the ball, but doesn't necessarily bring a lot on the defensive end and doesn't pass or dribble the ball well enough to make the players around him better.

The only argument I can see for keeping Harris over Fournier (whom I think DOES play good team defense and passes the ball much better - a la Manu) is that it's much harder to find someone who is 6'8" and as burley as Harris who can score like him AND we also have two "guards of the future" already in Vic and EP. Nonetheless, Fournier being 6'7" and able to dribble, pass, shoot, and drive better than Harris makes me want to keep him more, despite that leaving a hole for us at PF (Aaron Gordon? Future 1st?).

If I called the shots I'd try to keep the big 2 + Harris and Fournier, because I'm biased towards people that can shoot the ball (and as you said, Harris is really versatile for his size). Even though Payton and Gordon are promising, they would be part of the 2nd tier to me.

If I called the shots I'd try to keep the big 2 + Harris and Fournier, because I'm biased towards people that can shoot the ball (and as you said, Harris is really versatile for his size). Even though Payton and Gordon are promising, they would be part of the 2nd tier to me.

Just because Gordon can't score right now doesn't mean he's part of the second threshold. Do we need scorers? Yes. But teams win who have amazing role players who are unselfish and don't need the ball in their hands all the time (a la Ben Gordon who doesn't play defense and stops all offensive ball movement).

I choose Harris OR fournier with Gordon because Gordon is going to grow into an incredible player (has anyone else noticed how much his games improved with every passing game??). To me, I choose Fournier over Harris and look for a bruiser PF to complement Vic and contrast with Frye. It has been said already, but I think O'Quinn could be that player.