CTMagicUK

Official 2015 Draft Thread

I think we need to let Harris go and explore a trade for favors.

Favors can play next to Vucevic. Favors can back up the 5. Assuming Frye is in the deal for favors we would have favors and gordon being the primary pf minute earners with maybe harkless and dedmon sprinkled in depending on matchup. Then you have Gordon, Hezonja, Fournier, and harkless earning sf minutes. And Oladipo, Fournier, Hezonja playing sg. And Payton, Oladipo, and a player to be named later playing pg.

So, be stingy on backup center bc he plays fewer minutes…pay 6th man more than anyone else on team even though there's a handful of replacements on the team already…got it.

Nice strawman.

FYI, I'm not huge on Harris, but I think with the way the cap is expected to increase, $12M/yr or whatever isn't terrible. But if he's going to get a max offer sheet... Yeah, then you have a decision to make.

On the flip side, Harris is arguably our best scorer right now and I don't think Gordon or whoever else can fill that void at SF/PF... Unless I'm forgetting someone

I think we need to let Harris go and explore a trade for favors.

Favors can play next to Vucevic. Favors can back up the 5. Assuming Frye is in the deal for favors we would have favors and gordon being the primary pf minute earners with maybe harkless and dedmon sprinkled in depending on matchup. Then you have Gordon, Hezonja, Fournier, and harkless earning sf minutes. And Oladipo, Fournier, Hezonja playing sg. And Payton, Oladipo, and a player to be named later playing pg.

Makes too much sense for that to happen

Your reading comprehension is flawed.

I would take that money and use it on multiple players to boost the bench. Maybe we could get a guy like milsap or carroll, idk. But We could eaisly sign a guy like Koufous and someone else to improve the bench. 2 8 mil a year players rather than Harris 16.

Come off it.

We have plenty of holes to fill on the bench where people could still find enough court time to suit them. Plus if you do lose Harris that opens up 35 minutes a night.

So which two $8M per players do you suggest? You mentioned Carroll, but he's way over that number. I'm all ears to the idea if you can name two guys who we can afford, and obtain for $8M per, and make more sense than Harris.

I think the problem is the Harris issue is a multifaceted one.

Is Harris valuable: yes

Does Harris fit with our roster: yes

Is Harris likely the best free agent we'll be able to attract this off-season: yes

Now here's the issue- does signing Harris and another big man limit the ability for several of our young players to get minutes? Yes. I don't see how you can fit Fournier, Gordon, Hezonja, Harris, harkless and another big man into a rotation. If you bench harkless you have Fournier, Harris, Hezonja, and gordon playing small forward minutes. And you have Harris, Gordon, and additional big man playing pf minutes. That's not a huge issue. But then we have to trade harkless if he's out of the rotation.

We have to explore the idea that Harris is likely not going to be a part of the crunch time lineup.

Not signing Harris isn't necessarily a vote against Harris, but a promotion for Gordon and to a lesser degree, harkless.

Now, we could still sign Harris, but I think we'd have to live with the weakness we have at 4 and that's not necessarily a bad thing with the current makeup we have in the nba.

So which two $8M per players do you suggest? You mentioned Carroll, but he's way over that number. I'm all ears to the idea if you can name two guys who we can afford, and obtain for $8M per, and make more sense than Harris.

I think if we let Harris walk we don't need to sign another sf. We have 4 capable ones already.

Younger Backup PG

Shane Larkin

Jeremy Lin

Veteran Backup PG

Andre Miller

Jameer Nelson

CJ Watson

I think any of these five can be signed for $2M - $8M per, leaving you $8M - $14M to fill your PF hole.

Younger PF

Greg Monroe ($14M area)

Ed Davis ($4M)

Thaddeus Young ($9M)

Prime PF

LaMarcus Aldridge ($16M area) (we do have some additional cap room, especially if we wave B Gordon before his is guaranteed)

Paul Milsap ($14M area)

Your 2 for 1 challenge is difficult, as the pieces have to fall into place, but it isn't impossible. It really depends on the direction you want to take, and who is willing to come here. Having said that, I hate the idea of Harris at age 22 walking away with us getting nothing in return. :svgsad:

Ok. I'm all for shipping Harkless and Nicholson out. I think they've had plenty of chances to prove themselves, going on year 4 now with little to show for it. So then you're left with Hezonja-Fournier-Harris-Gordon. Gordon and Hezonja should fight for mins. I also believe if Harris gets a max offer which starts at 15mil I believe, he's still movable at any time moving forward.

Younger Backup PG

Shane Larkin

Jeremy Lin

Veteran Backup PG

Andre Miller

Jameer Nelson

CJ Watson

I think any of these five can be signed for $2M - $8M per, leaving you $8M - $14M to fill your PF hole.

Younger PF

Greg Monroe ($14M area)

Ed Davis ($4M)

Thaddeus Young ($9M)

Prime PF

LaMarcus Aldridge ($16M area) (we do have some additional cap room, especially if we wave B Gordon before his is guaranteed)

Paul Milsap ($14M area)

Your 2 for 1 challenge is difficult, as the pieces have to fall into place, but it isn't impossible. It really depends on the direction you want to take, and who is willing to come here. Having said that, I hate the idea of Harris at age 22 walking away with us getting nothing in return. :svgsad:/>/>

Whoever we have as a backup pg, they need to be comfortable playing like 6 minutes per game or else everything goes out of wack

Younger Backup PG

Shane Larkin

Jeremy Lin

Veteran Backup PG

Andre Miller

Jameer Nelson

CJ Watson

Younger PF

Greg Monroe ($14M area)

Ed Davis ($4M)

Thaddeus Young ($9M)

Prime PF

Paul Milsap ($14M area)

Your 2 for 1 challenge is difficult, as the pieces have to fall into place, but it isn't impossible. It really depends on the direction you want to take, and who is willing to come here. Having said that, I hate the idea of Harris at age 22 walking away with us getting nothing in return. :svgsad:/>

Yeah, I guess I just feel like we can sign Harris, a high quality FA, and a 2nd tier FA on the market which retains Harris as an asset and allows us to add depth and improve the team overall. I am not 100% sure Harris will be here long-term but his contract will be much friendlier with the new salary cap and he will be a young, tradable asset that could help us acquire that missing piece when we're closer to contending. You just can't let talented, young players walk over what essentially is going to be $2M a year more than we'd like to pay (assuming he gets $13.5-$14M). This, of course, is my opinion but I do believe we'll match because it doesn't make sense not to.

While the Harris situation probably doesn't belong in this thread, I'll just add that nothing says Orlando cannot trade Harris after matching; and nothing says they cannot trade Vuc or Vic or anyone else if Harris winds up being more valuable in the long run. This team is still in the stage where it is probably bad to let assets leave, especially assets who help your team. Orlando has no one else right now who is likely to start at the 3 in November. He can slide to 4 in a lineup with Mario, and while I don't like that defense, I love that offense. Harris is not as bad a defender as he is sometimes made out to be on this forum (that is not to say he is good, or even average, just not Carmelo bad).

The idea that we know for sure what we have in Harris is just silly. He's 22 years old, and he put up good numbers last year on a team with no spacing. I say Orlando should match up 15 (can he get anymore than that?), as long as it's not a super-long-term deal (I doubt anyone is offering him a massive long deal, anyway). It might even be possible to sell him on a short-term deal to try to capitalize on the coming cap explosion.

One way or another, at that point he is an asset that has value (as Catman said, he won't regress, so his value at $13-$15 mil is solid). If Mario is ready to start mid-season, and if Harris is unwilling to come off the bench (I don't know why anyone would assume that of him, though), and if he is enough worse than whatever else we have guarding 4's that it makes a difference (at this point a 20-year-old AG and a defensive corpse Frye), then you trade him for... more assets.

The more I think about it, the more I start to believe there is no logical reason not to resign Harris. Henny at least says he agrees, for whatever that's worth. Harris' value is comparable to any FA Orlando is likely going to be able to get, and that is taking into account his and others' value to this team. Carroll is a great defender, but he is not as versatile where Orlando needs it (they don't need another 3/2, because they do not have any minutes available at the 2, but a 3/4 works fine), and he is not as good a scorer, and he would not be the bench asset that Harris could be in that role. Millsap is a solid player, and I wouldn't be too upset with losing Harris to gain Millsap except that again he's not as versatile and he wouldn't lead a bench unit at this stage of his career (and Orlando would probably have to pay him ridiculous money to get him here). It goes down the line with guys Orlando could actually get. Harris is the best talent and best fit. If it becomes necessary to move him, then move him. It's still early.

• Upvote 1