Sign in to follow this  
For the love of the game

Gun control

It seems like there are quite a few multiple offenders out there, I'm not so sure that the relaxed approach to prison works well either. I get what you are saying I just find it hard to stomach what they get vs what someone who is down on their luck has to live with. Doesn't seem like much of a deterrent to me, it seems like another on of those things in life that keeps the honest people honest.

We do not have a relaxed approach to prisons. Look into what the prison systems are like in the Scandinavian countries for examples of that. Also note their recitivism rates.

The reason people oppose things like that is not because they want to be politically correct or sensitive. That's absurd. People oppose things like that because they're counter-productive and make criminals into worse people. If you put people in prison and then torture them the whole time, they aren't going to turn into good people because they've been punished so harshly that it sets them straight. They're going to turn bitterly against society and they're not going to want to follow its rules at all.

Crime is a complex issue with lots of factors that go into both why it happens and how we effectively reduce it. These simplistic and absurd solutions are not helpful, and in most cases (like this one) they're actually harmful.

I was being sarcastic with my solutions. But seriously, jail should not be a place you would fine those little comforts you get while free. You get milk or water to drink, beans and rice with a choice of veggie beef or chick. baking sode for your toothpaste. Will it harded some, yes, but those are the repeats anyway.

Getting a little off topic, but maybe backing off of the war on drugs might help alleviate some of the prison overcrowding, particularly by reducing (or removing) sentence length for using offenses.

If you guys think prison is anything even close to resembling a comfortable experience, I encourage you to visit one. Or just talk to someone who has been in prison.

3psc42.jpg

In all seriousness though, if you go to jail there is a high chance you will be raped by another man. I'd hardly call that comfortable or worthwhile.

Getting a little off topic, but maybe backing off of the war on drugs might help alleviate some of the prison overcrowding, particularly by reducing (or removing) sentence length for using offenses.

I'd think that would put a good-sized dent in the recitivism rate as well.

Also, don't overlook a key reason why some of the things you consider to be unnecessary comforts exist: They incentivize good behavior and are useful in managing prison populations.

If you're not overlooking that and disagree with the idea of incentivizing good behavior itself, then you're taking a position that is at odds even with the people who run these prisons and jails. Ask a warden if he thinks it's a good idea to get rid of that.

How would that help? I mean, wouldn't that leave more drug dealers on the streets and in turn lead to more and more drug addicts. As drug addicts become more desperate wouldnt that lead to more break ins and robberies, usually involving a weapon, thus back to the gun issue?

If you guys think prison is anything even close to resembling a comfortable experience, I encourage you to visit one. Or just talk to someone who has been in prison.

I have personal experience. It is not fun. It's no torture camp, but you have to do what you can to survive. There are huge racial divisions, the guards don't give a ***** about you, and worst of all, your freedom is gone.

There are a few things to distract you from the cage you're in, but it's no picnic in there. And Florida has it better than a lot of other states.

Its overburdened, therefore the success rate suffers.

I agree with you there. Mainly because of nonviolent drug offenders who shouldn't be doing hard time in the first place.

I agree with you there. Mainly because of nonviolent drug offenders who shouldn't be doing hard time in the first place.

Ok, so remove the non violent drug offenders from our prisons. As I am sure we can all agree, drugs ruin lives. So the non violent guy continues using until the point were he is out of cash, his wife has left with his kids and he has no place to live. He still has his gun though and it could even be legally owned. He becomes desperate and so he goes and mugs grandma and gets away with it. Then he becomes more desperate and tries to rob the dealer down the block who has nothing to do with it and opens fire and the drug addict is dead or worse yet an innocent victim dies.

That just one aspect. What about the girl who becomes a prostitute to because of her habit, she is non violent as well, but she lives off the violent pimp.