Live or Die Magic

The Dwight Howard Drama Unfolds

Just curious -- say we do trade dwight and lets say he does what he does where ever he does and somewhere down the line he wants to come back to orlando (lets hypothetically assume on good terms etc) and we had the ability to make it happen. Would people say no? I ask this for purposes of discussion because when I hear Howard could be a laker, I think back to 2004 when we got the #1 pick and drafted howard. We were about to get rid of t-mac that summer and if I recall correctly, that was the summer when shaq got traded. I remember hearing some rumblings of lakers willing to take our #1 pick (howard) and other players and we could then try to pair shaq with tmac but the emotions were so high (anti-tmac, anti-shaq) that there was no way this was going through (in addition to all the ra-ra of ppl excited about rebuilding with howard). I think if we took a step back and thought things through at that time, we could have pulled the trigger on that deal -- prob would have given us a title as tmac and shaq were both very dominant then.

Its just something about this houston deal that worries me. I understand where everyone is coming from about "hitting the reset button" etc etc. I feel like we've been through this before, after the loss of shaq penny then tmac. And I'm as frustrated with howard as everyone else but there is just something that doesnt sit right with me about giving away the #1 center in the league (which no matter what deal we do, is just giving him away). I feel like we are getting emotions involved again (like not wanting shaq back). At that time I could care less if we took him back, I want this damn city to win a title! I'd give up 10 years straight in the lottery to taste 1 championship today. Which is why I'm also somewhat frustrated when I see houston willing to role the dice on him. What will they do differently that we can't do? Just as houston knows he has no better offers to really walk towards, it would be the same here, and we would be in as much position to add to the team as much as they would.

Maybe its just years of bitter taste from management, but its still hard to believe they will get it right if we start another youth movement. And to be honest, even if Rob does everything 100% to his ability, who is to say all these young guys will get along? We keep looking to OKC but I think they are more an anomaly, bc Durant is such a good, glue guy, as is Harden. Westbrook already has been reported to have some attitude problems. When we had shaq penny and nick, it ultimately came out that they didnt all get along. Look at shaq and kobe. Marbury/Garnett. Jim Jackson/Jason Kidd/jamal mashburn; stackhouse/iverson. That Dallas analogy scares me the most. 3 great young guys and they all caused so much headache they wound up getting traded for pennies on the dollar. Who is to say that if we amass all these great guys going forward that we can keep them together? Given our history, we can screw that up too and it doesnt even have to completely be management's fault.

Lets just stop playing basketball then

Just curious -- say we do trade dwight and lets say he does what he does where ever he does and somewhere down the line he wants to come back to orlando (lets hypothetically assume on good terms etc) and we had the ability to make it happen. Would people say no? I ask this for purposes of discussion because when I hear Howard could be a laker, I think back to 2004 when we got the #1 pick and drafted howard. We were about to get rid of t-mac that summer and if I recall correctly, that was the summer when shaq got traded. I remember hearing some rumblings of lakers willing to take our #1 pick (howard) and other players and we could then try to pair shaq with tmac but the emotions were so high (anti-tmac, anti-shaq) that there was no way this was going through (in addition to all the ra-ra of ppl excited about rebuilding with howard). I think if we took a step back and thought things through at that time, we could have pulled the trigger on that deal -- prob would have given us a title as tmac and shaq were both very dominant then.

Its just something about this houston deal that worries me. I understand where everyone is coming from about "hitting the reset button" etc etc. I feel like we've been through this before, after the loss of shaq penny then tmac. And I'm as frustrated with howard as everyone else but there is just something that doesnt sit right with me about giving away the #1 center in the league (which no matter what deal we do, is just giving him away). I feel like we are getting emotions involved again (like not wanting shaq back). At that time I could care less if we took him back, I want this damn city to win a title! I'd give up 10 years straight in the lottery to taste 1 championship today. Which is why I'm also somewhat frustrated when I see houston willing to role the dice on him. What will they do differently that we can't do? Just as houston knows he has no better offers to really walk towards, it would be the same here, and we would be in as much position to add to the team as much as they would.

Maybe its just years of bitter taste from management, but its still hard to believe they will get it right if we start another youth movement. And to be honest, even if Rob does everything 100% to his ability, who is to say all these young guys will get along? We keep looking to OKC but I think they are more an anomaly, bc Durant is such a good, glue guy, as is Harden. Westbrook already has been reported to have some attitude problems. When we had shaq penny and nick, it ultimately came out that they didnt all get along. Look at shaq and kobe. Marbury/Garnett. Jim Jackson/Jason Kidd/jamal mashburn; stackhouse/iverson. That Dallas analogy scares me the most. 3 great young guys and they all caused so much headache they wound up getting traded for pennies on the dollar. Who is to say that if we amass all these great guys going forward that we can keep them together? Given our history, we can screw that up too and it doesnt even have to completely be management's fault.

wow hows that novel comin?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Did this take you since lunch time to type this?

• Downvote 1

I think we're going to keep Hedo in any Houston deal; gotta pay someone and it may as well be him with his buyout coming next season

Yes. J-Rich and his 3 years left need to go more than Turk. God, what a horrendous signing by Otis.

Would be great if they took Duhon or Qrich too.

Yes. J-Rich and his 3 years left need to go more than Turk. God, what a horrendous signing by Otis.

Would be great if they took Duhon or Qrich too.

wats Q deal? is it 2 more years at 2.4 or 3.4 mill? dudu aint to bad cuz next year 1.5mill dont hurt to bad

wats Q deal? is it 2 more years at 2.4 or 3.4 mill? dudu aint to bad cuz next year 1.5mill dont hurt to bad

If we get to rid of J-Rich and Duhon-or-Qrich, get back 2 rookies, and that Toronto pick, I say do it.

Felton and Kurt Thomas from Blazers traded to Knicks for Jared Jeffries and Dan Gadzuric from NBA TV

Knicks moving on from Lin