Bang Gundy

Rumor Thread for Next GM & Coach

83 members have voted

1. 1. GM

2. 2. Coach

Five days after the Orlando Sentinel reported that the former Lakers and Bulls coach with 11 championship rings had "bowed out" of a plan to be the lead personnel man for the Magic, two sources close to the situation told SI.com that a revised version of the proposal that still included Jackson's involvement was submitted to the team Tuesday morning.

Sam Vincent, who played for the Bulls during Jackson's days as an assistant in Chicago and also played for the Magic, continues to captain the cause that would have Jackson work remotely (likely from Los Angeles, where his longtime girlfriend, Jeanie Buss, remains with the Lakers) most of the time. Vincent would operate in a front-office role in the plan, while the team would be coached by a protégé (or two) of Jackson's.

According to the sources, the latest version of the proposal has Pacers assistant and ex-Lakers assistant Brian Shaw coaching the team and Hall of Famer and Bulls ambassador Scottie Pippen as the lead assistant. And as if Jackson's potential price tag wasn't daunting enough (he earned $12 million in his last year with the Lakers), one of the sources said he is asking for a slice of minority ownership in the franchise as well. The hope, of course, would be for Jackson to use his cachet to convince Dwight Howard to remain in Orlando for the long-term. Jackson's agent, Todd Musburger, did not return a call for comment.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/sam_amick/06/05/phil.jackson.magic/index.html#ixzz1wz64VDeO

Doesn't anyone else think its weird that there are candidates pulling themselves out of candidacy for this job? Seems like nobody wants it except for executives with something to prove. I think that the mere fact that Martins obsession with Adonal Foyle may be scaring these guys away.

I don't like Bower.

Kevin Pritchard has been my man from the get go and hopefully we land him.

If the GM Alex hires happens to fail, then tha Magic should be looking for a new CEO. The Magic should have hired a real President long ago.

I never understood why owners and the business side of franchise can't just hire a smart basketball guy to make the decisions.

It's a damn shame Walsh pulled out because he could of worn the presidents hat while Pritchard GM'ed.

Doesn't anyone else think its weird that there are candidates pulling themselves out of candidacy for this job? Seems like nobody wants it except for executives with something to prove. I think that the mere fact that Martins obsession with Adonal Foyle may be scaring these guys away.

I don't like Bower.

Kevin Pritchard has been my man from the get go and hopefully we land him.

If the GM Alex hires happens to fail, then tha Magic should be looking for a new CEO. The Magic should have hired a real President long ago.

I never understood why owners and the business side of franchise can't just hire a smart basketball guy to make the decisions.

It's a damn shame Walsh pulled out because he could of worn the presidents hat while Pritchard GM'ed.

Probably has a lot to do with these rumblings of Dwight still wanting out, whether those reports are reliable or not.

1338957668[/url]' post='688131']

Probably has a lot to do with these rumblings of Dwight still wanting out, whether those reports are reliable or not.

I've never heard of a gm not wanting to go to a team because of its personnel. Coaches yes, but not GM's. Pat Riley left the Knicks for the heat and they had no Mourning or Hardaway. Those were moves he made after he got there, or at least help facilitate.

I've never heard of a gm not wanting to go to a team because of its personnel. Coaches yes, but not GM's. Pat Riley left the Knicks for the heat and they had no Mourning or Hardaway. Those were moves he made after he got there, or at least help facilitate.

It's not like the salary situation is good, either though, but I do get what you're saying.

Seriously, if we hire Jeff Bower, we are looking at Otis 2.0

I can't say I would be surprised.

Yea I wouldn't be thrilled by that hire but I highly doubt he's that bad. It would kill me bc it's pretty much a buyers market this year. There are some good candidates out there and if they hire a guy based on familiarity it would be dumb.

Just heard on WDAE here in Tampa Bay area that Brian Shaw is going to be announced as Magic new coach today. Anybody hear the same thing?

Just heard on WDAE here in Tampa Bay area that Brian Shaw is going to be announced as Magic new coach today. Anybody hear the same thing?

I haven't heard it, but if we're hiring a coach, it means a GM should be announced today too

I haven't heard it, but if we're hiring a coach, it means a GM should be announced today too

My thoughts exactly. Let's see if anything else is said within the next hour or so.

Sileo is gone. Who does WDAE have that gives two craps about the Magic? Not saying you're wrong but I just don't know who they have who would report that.