Enolam

Otis and SVG gone!

Dwight >>> Stan

If we're serious about winning a championship, then you got to do what you have to to keep Dwight. Stan's a great coach and I'll miss him, but his inability to take risks, change up rotations, and Duhon is his downfall. Every great playoff team needs a horse. Trade Dwight, and it'll be a very long time before we sniff the playoffs again. The Magic made the right decision. If they want to win, then they'll do what it takes to keep the horse.

• Upvote 1

Bummed about SVG...... He is a great Coach and wont take him long to land with a quality team... hopefully with a competent GM.

As for Otis..... Thanks for Playing, you blew this one out your ---. Please stay away from GM position.

Marc Stein ‏@ESPNSteinLine

Person of interest in Orlando: Donnie Walsh as prime GM candidate. And as @sam_amick said: Mike Malone and Brian Shaw are strong coach names

Collapse

Reply Retweet Favorite

I'd be satisfied with an outcome like this.. to me it's really impossible to judge what's up as far as SVG being let go until we find out who the next guy is. Although like has been said, if you don't have an extension long term from Dwight, then why bother doing this? Stan is undoubtedly a top 10 coach in the NBA, and you don't let that go unless you have REALLY good reason, IMO.

To be devil's advocate though, when he called out Dwight and (more importantly) the Magic FO, he might as well of put the noose around his own neck.

As for Otis THANK GOD. Won't take much to do better than him, Donnie Walsh or Kevin Pritchard would be fantastic.

Presser is on NBA TV right as well, btw.

Firing Stan without getting an extension from Dwight? Extremely dumb. I'm all for doing it if it means keeping Dwight for the next 5+ years, but to lose a coach of Stan's caliber in the hopes of him staying? That's downright stupid.

• Upvote 1

Defense Exhibit #1: Magic Johnson forces Paul Westhead out as head coach of Lakers. Untested, inexperienced Pat Riley named new coach. Championships ensue.

Defense Exhibit #2: Michael Jordan forces Doug Collins out as head coach of Bulls. Untested, inexperienced Phil Jackson named new coach. Championships ensue.

In summary, what if Dwight is right? What if SVG really did lose the players with ill-advised play calling or constant berating? If Dwight stays and the new coach and GM lead the Magic to a championship, then SVG will be long forgotten. I'll take my chances with Dwight playing center on this team for the next several years, even if it came at the expense of SVG getting canned.

Anyone using the Stan lost the team argument didn't watch how hard these guys played in the first round of the playoffs.. We didn't lose this year because of poor coaching or poor effort (in the playoffs), we lost because of lack of talent..