Babir_9

2012 Offseason

Dude, where in the hell did the REAL Dwight go?

That Russian owner has to be paying him under the table to be THAT hellbent on going to Brooklyn.

You don't have to trade him. He is under contract for another year. Not trading him is a valid option.

So no deal and letting Dwight walk is a bad deal? No sir, that is one of the best deals. Gift wrapping him to the Nets for Lopez, Brooks, and whatever crap they have to offer is a bad deal.

I never said they should make that deal. I said some people want to make bad deals to make sure the team gets bad but they still feel they got the satisfaction of "getting something" for Dwight. If you've been reading my posts the past couple months, you know I wouldn't take that deal.

The Magic have built their team through the draft twice, and both times went to the NBA Finals. Unfortunately Shaq's dream was to be a Laker and he said so before he signed with the Magic in 1992. The 2nd time around we had a GM who was doing good at first then completely fell apart. Just because other teams suck does not mean the Magic will have the same fate. Phoenix and Portland have rebuild their teams numerous times. You just need a good management staff and the Magic seem to have that with Hennigan and his new staff.

The Magic built their team through the draft the first time. It was a brand new team, and fans were just excited to have a team. They had no expectations. They sold out the building every night and they were much louder than they are now. Starting in about their fifth season, they got to be a playoff team. The Magic had picks in the top 10 for each of their first 4 seasons, mostly in the top 5.

Not sure the second time you mean they built through the draft unless you mean the one year they got Dwight and Jameer. They were fortunate that one of the best big men in history was available that year and they were able to get someone to draft and trade a good point guard for them in the same year. They went through three bad losing seasons then -- TMac's last season and the first two while Dwight and Jameer were establishing themselves.

We can be hopeful, but we are not sure yet what kind of management team the Magic have. They have made two draft picks who we haven't seen play yet. There isn't even a coach yet.

Really? Is that why guys were lining up to sign with the Magic back in 2008 - 2010? Back in 2000 the Magic had no one and all of the top FA in that year all wanted to join the Magic and almost pulled off the same heist that everyone hates the HEAT for doing. The plan was to get all 3. What about Webber wanting to leave the Kings to join the Magic somehow back in 2003? I remember back in 1994, Horace Grant announcing in an interview during the halftime of a game on NBC that he felt he was the missing piece to the Orlando Magic. Once the Magic have cap room, the same thing will happen. Letting Dwight walk will give the Magic their immediate cap room VS taking back contracts just so that we can be "competitive". Not only do guys want to stay in Orlando, they also want to come.

They got them to come (well, except for Duncan), but they didn't stay past that contract they signed. Horace and Rashard got traded so you can't say what would have happened there. Grant left when he became a free agent. Tracy demanded a trade after a few seasons of struggling. Rashard was looking for a home and the Magic did offer him a fortune and the chance to play with Dwight.

But when Shaq was eligible to be a free agent, he left. When Penny was eligible to be a free agent (after his first long deal), he left. Dwight did say one extension so he made it longer than everyone except for Nick and Darrell. Dwight was a restricted free agent at the time. Jameer re-signed, too. He wants to re-sign again. Hopefully, he does.

You make it sound like the Magic are going to struggle to get players. There is a reason Orlando rebuilt itself fast, and that is because Florida has great weather year round. This is why Miami or Orlando will never be a perennial loser like the Nets.

Texas has good weather year round and no state taxes, too.

Mediocrity is not going to make the Magic money. They *****ed about not turning a profit when they wanted a new arena and we and the rest of the Eastern Conference were dug deep in mediocrity. It was easy getting tickets to see the Magic from 2000 - 2008. 2009 and 2010, not so easy any more. If the Magic want to make money you need to get a good product on the floor. Kevin Martin and Andrew Bynum are not great attractions, but they will get us to the playoffs. Then we could all go to the games, cheer them on, and maybe just maybe get to the second round where they would get beat. Then we resign Bynum to a MAX contract because that's what centers seem to be getting these days, resign Martin, eat up the rest of the cap and go into the lux tax to continue our mediocrity for a few more years until Bynum's knees really start to give out, then we will suck for 3 to 4 years with all kinds of cap problems while the Magic start the rebuilding process like we should have done back in 2012.

Lets get the sucking over with now. Let Dwight sit out the year and sign where he wants 2013.

If you want to rebuild through the draft, you're going to have to suck for 3 to 4 years. That's what a lot of people are advocating -- be like Oklahoma City. Well, it took them a few years of being really bad. And then it would be easy to get tickets again. Easier than ever because this is a bigger building. I don't want Kevin Martin either. I'm not convinced that Bynum would work trying to stop Lebron and Wade myself, but you'd get a year to test him. And if you don't like what you've got or he doesn't like being here, you can let him walk instead of Dwight and get cap space, too. Their contracts are up at the same time. Maybe you get a better deal for him than you can get for Dwight right now. Or if it works, you can re-sign him. Either way, it might shorten the pain.

• Upvote 1

WHy the ***** did he opt in if he asked for a trade literally a few weeks later like is he an idiot? He could be in Brooklyn right now being courted and offered a max deal but he isn't and is taking it out on the Magic and the fans. I'm so *****ing done with him and I really don't care where we trade him as long as he is gone and it's not the Nets.

• Upvote 1

Trade Howard and Turkeygoo to Houston, Scola and Lowery to Lakers, and Bynum to the Magic.

And if Brian shaw is the coach, which will be a perfect match for the team, then Magic still has a chance to be in the playoffs with a little Lakers taste featuring Bynum and Coach Shaw.

Anyone get this weird feeling that if BK gets JJ and Hou gets Asik that 12 might actually cry, apologize and stay? I mean what are his options? Once he becomes a fa where does he sign if BK no longer has cap?

Nah....he's trying to get traded now, before that happens. I think talks with Atlanta were designed (by the Nets) to put pressure on HWNSNBU to get a deal done, with the thought it might not be able to happen if they made other moves. Maybe they think it would get the Magic moving too. Not sure how, considering what they have to offer for him, but I guess it's a possibility.

He is truly a piece of ****!! Good riddance *****!!

There is absolutely nothing new in that story except that he denies that he used the word "blackmail." All the rest of it has been reported previously.

I guess he's saying that the ESPN guys made that up then.

Wow. I knew Dwight was largely innocent or naive since he didn't go to college. But after reading this, I realize this kid is just really stupid. Nothing he did makes sense. I'm pretty sure when and if he becomes a Net he'll say something to the effect that "I did this so not to dismantle the Nets roster and I can go there with their assets mostly intact," but then that would just make him more of a douche bag. He can't win now. He's either really stupid or really evil. I actually think he's both.

• Upvote 1

What a relief this is going to be to have this fool playing for another team. What a complete headcase, he's so far from the guy he was as a rookie. Just goes to show that money can corrupt anyone, and usually does.

I give it until Wednesday at the latest.

I don't know if relief is the word. If he ends up in the East, he'll still be pounding on the Magic 4 times a season.

And I'm sure he's just winding up. He could very well have a lot more to say....and keep saying....after he is not here anymore.