Sign in to follow this  
Secretly Space Jesus

NFL offseason thread

If you mean delaying him eventually ending up in jail for some length of time, I agree.

However, the bigger issue is that it puts the Bucs in a position where they basically HAVE to assume that Talib is not going to play this year, which means that, in my mind at least, they HAVE to take Claiborne if he's there at 5.

If you mean delaying him eventually ending up in jail for some length of time, I agree.

However, the bigger issue is that it puts the Bucs in a position where they basically HAVE to assume that Talib is not going to play this year, which means that, in my mind at least, they HAVE to take Claiborne if he's there at 5.

Agree 100%, but I have a hunch that they're going to take Richardson, just off of articles I've read and knowing Schiano's background. I like Richardson and I think he's going to be the next big time RB, but Claiborne just makes so much sense for Tampa.

I'd almost buy into the whole idea of taking Richardson if the team could legitimately be described as being "just one player away".

But they're not. The team's peak for next year should be about a .500 season. And that's fine. Get to that, and then continue to build on it. Get your D-line healthy and a year older. Give your young #2 and #3 receivers a year to grow. Give the rookie linebacker you HAVE to draft next month a year to grow next to Mason Foster(who'll be getting his first training camp ever).

And if you're really not sold on Blount, just take whichever of David Wilson and Doug Martin is available in the 2nd. Or hell, wait and see if a strictly 3rd down back is available in the 3rd.

I'd almost buy into the whole idea of taking Richardson if the team could legitimately be described as being "just one player away".

But they're not. The team's peak for next year should be about a .500 season. And that's fine. Get to that, and then continue to build on it. Get your D-line healthy and a year older. Give your young #2 and #3 receivers a year to grow. Give the rookie linebacker you HAVE to draft next month a year to grow next to Mason Foster(who'll be getting his first training camp ever).

And if you're really not sold on Blount, just take whichever of David Wilson and Doug Martin is available in the 2nd. Or hell, wait and see if a strictly 3rd down back is available in the 3rd.

Yeah, Richardson would be a great piece, but like you said, there are many other holes. While it would be great that the offense is getting revamped by adding Nicks, Jackson, and hypothetically Richardson, I'd be concerned that improving the defense would be neglected.

I still like Blount a lot. I think he's just had to work that much harder due to a subpar offensive line. Having an interior of Nicks, Zuttah, and Joseph is fantastic, so I'm interested to see if that has a positive effect on Blount. Yes, he has issues with fumbling, pass protecting, etc. but I want to see how he does now that he'll have a little less pressure due to a decent OL.

Also, I will flip if Tampa ends up with Kuechly somehow. Guy has bust written all over him, IMO.

I don't think much of Blount, but the guy ran for over 1000 yards in 13 games just two seasons ago as an undrafted rookie.

Even if we choose to believe that an upgrade over Blount is a huge priority, it's impossible to argue that Blount wasn't serviceable for a season. And he was undrafted.

The point is that there is usually value in later rounds at running back. Hell, here's last year's top 10 rushing leaders and when they were drafted.

1. Maurice Jones-Drew - second round, 60th overall in 2006
  2. Ray Rice - second round, 55th overall in 2008.
  3. Michael Turner - fifth round, 154th overall in 2004
  4. LeSean McCoy - second round, 53rd overall in 2009
  5. Arian Foster - undrafted in 2009
  6. Frank Gore - third round, 65th overall in 2005
  7. Marshawn Lynch - first round, 12th overall in 2007
  8. Willis McGahee - first round, 23rd overall in 2003
  9. Stephen Jackson - first round, 24th overall in 2004
  10. Ryan Matthews - first round, 12th overall in 2010

Even if we drop Foster being undrafted, we're looking at an average draft position among the other 9 of around 51. So that's the middle of the second round, and no one in the top 5 rushers from last year went earlier than 21st pick of the second round in their respective draft.

And that's before you even consider the obvious Ki-Jana Carter concerns a running back has.

I just don't see any reason to use a top 10 pick on a running back.

There's that and the fact that the shelf life of a RB is so short compared to other positions. Once they hit 30, they're done.

A Corner hits 30 and they're still very valuable and can play at a very high level.

Bama had Pro Day just a little bit ago. Richardson apparently ran between a 4.46 and a 4.58 (conflicting times) and he's only at about 70% health-wise. Bucs' RB coach was giving Trent a personal workout so the interest seems legit. However, the fact that his knee procedure was supposed to be very minor, yet he's still not 100% concerns me

I don't think much of Blount, but the guy ran for over 1000 yards in 13 games just two seasons ago as an undrafted rookie.

Even if we choose to believe that an upgrade over Blount is a huge priority, it's impossible to argue that Blount wasn't serviceable for a season. And he was undrafted.

The point is that there is usually value in later rounds at running back. Hell, here's last year's top 10 rushing leaders and when they were drafted.

1. Maurice Jones-Drew - second round, 60th overall in 2006
  2. Ray Rice - second round, 55th overall in 2008.
  3. Michael Turner - fifth round, 154th overall in 2004
  4. LeSean McCoy - second round, 53rd overall in 2009
  5. Arian Foster - undrafted in 2009
  6. Frank Gore - third round, 65th overall in 2005
  7. Marshawn Lynch - first round, 12th overall in 2007
  8. Willis McGahee - first round, 23rd overall in 2003
  9. Stephen Jackson - first round, 24th overall in 2004
  10. Ryan Matthews - first round, 12th overall in 2010

Even if we drop Foster being undrafted, we're looking at an average draft position among the other 9 of around 51. So that's the middle of the second round, and no one in the top 5 rushers from last year went earlier than 21st pick of the second round in their respective draft.

And that's before you even consider the obvious Ki-Jana Carter concerns a running back has.

I just don't see any reason to use a top 10 pick on a running back.

Agreed. Also taking into account how Reggie performed up until the Dolphins.

On a more-or-less-related note, we signed Brandon Jacobs. Don't like this rb. His only serviceable as a 3rd down carrier, and now not even so. We already had Dixon there, so not sure why we are bringing a lot of washed up talents. GM is definitely smart, but both Moss and Jacobs are not looking that bright to me.

I don't know if it's a generational thing or what, but if you talk about a football player named Reggie without using a last name, I always believe you're talking about this guy:

reggie_white_330.jpg

Also: I just looked up White's stats from '86 to '88. I think my brain just melted.

I don't know if it's a generational thing or what, but if you talk about a football player named Reggie without using a last name, I always believe you're talking about this guy:

reggie_white_330.jpg

Also: I just looked up White's stats from '86 to '88. I think my brain just melted.

If we are talking about a runningback being chosen as top 10 draft, in the last decade and his name is Reggie, i think it is pretty obvious.