Sign in to follow this  
MycTheSituation

Title Hopes

I'm only 23 and I've been a Magic fan ever since I remember. I was watching when we had Shaq and Penny...I remember the T-Mac days...when we got Dwight I thought we had it made. After the Finals I said to myself, damn we should have won it all but our team is strong and we will contend for years to come. But nooooo. We blow the team up for no reason....and have gotten periodically worst over the last few seasons. I want to hear other fans thoughts and and opinions about our Magic...Will I ever see my favorite team win a title in my lifetime?

In my opinion, no, and that's not because I don't have faith in the Orlando Magic, it's because I don't have faith in the NBA.

LeBron really catapulted a trend that was always a factor in the NBA, but at least it was manageable. But LeBron made it the way of the NBA.

The inmates are running the asylum.

Team building is now done by the superstars, who all get together and decide they want to play together in a big market. So now you have "super teams" being built by a bunch of superstarts getting together and deciding they want to play together in Miami, or New York, or wherever.

Small market teams, like the Cleveland Cavaliers, Orlando Magic, Denver Nuggets, etc. are gonna be assed out as they have no hopes of retaining their superstars, who bolt for a big market.

People complain about the Boston Celtics and hated them for "buying" a championship when they built their big three. And I agree. I hate the Boston Celtics. But I will say this - at least the Boston Celtics were a team built by a GM who took a particular approach to how he wanted to build his team in hopes of getting a championship. The Celtics weren't built because Kevin Garnett, Ray Allen, and Paul Pierce all got together one summer, and over poker and beer decided they wanted to do it every weekend, hey let's all play in Boston!

The NBA has always been the most superstar driven league of American sports, moreso than MLB or especially the NFL. Yes, you did have guys like Shaquille O'Neal bolt for bigger markets, or Tracy McGrady demand a trade and declare the team he wanted to play for. But those instances were merely a part of the reality of professional sports, not just another day at the office.

The NBA is, in my opinion, in a downward spiral. To be perfectly honest, the lockout didn't bother me all that much, just because I don't like where the NBA is headed.

I hope I'm wrong. I love the game of basketball, and I love the NBA. The NBA has had a negative image at quite a few different points the last decade, decade and a half or so, and I have always stuck by the NBA and defended the NBA. Against the idea that the league is just a bunch of thugs and gangsters, against the idea that the league is rigged and refs consciously influence the outcome of games.

But the way the league is headed, small market teams will never truly be able to compete. Teams like our Magic, teams like the Blazers, the Nuggets, the Warriors, the Grizzlies,, the Cavaliers, we may get some superstars here or there through the draft, but we will never be able to compete with the big markets like New York, Miami, LA, Boston, or Chicago for marquee players, whether it's luring them to us in free agency, or holding onto them in free agency.

Please, NBA, prove me wrong.

Yeah man, but part of this player teaming-up mentality is due to the fans' perception of Rings being the ultimate measure of a player's image or career.

People don't weigh contribution as much as they did in the old days, in many aspects of life.

In the NBA it's like: "Oh Nash, he was alright but.. no ring"

"Dirk, nah, no ring" - or updated: "Dirk, nah, only one ring."

Fans themselves don't value players that are just as great but stick around for simply great play-off runs with an underdog.

So we kinda had it coming.

Players are just kids growing up in a certain society. Barring when you strumble upon the odd exceptional kid that has been meticulously schooled and mentored in a certain environment*, that's all you're gonna get...

*but why even do so? Brons will always get more BRI than Dirks... :mellow:

I think we can win a title and very soon.

If you look at it we have one of the best players in the league. We can use Dwight to attract players to ORL. For example Dwight won't go to NJ because he is emotionally attatched to ORL, but Deron Williams just got to NJ so he won't feel as bad leavin NJ the D12 will leavin ORL.

But in the end it all really comes down to managment, Otis Smith will need to make big decisions soon to keep D12, whether it be getting CP3, Deron Williams, or i think possibly even Monta Ellis. All in all Dwight wants more say in the people added to ORL's roster. He wanted Big Baby we got him. Reports are coming out that he want Chauncey Billups, well Otis might just have to get him to keep him satisfied.

I think if Otis makes good decisions and Dwight stays Orlando will be a championship contender for years to come

:superman:

as long as we dont lose howard for nothing. we will be fine, but if he moves with out young talent coming back; it will be the dark ages.