Sign in to follow this  
nbr

Fran would be fine

Any reason you see not to do this that I'm glossing over or downplaying?

More than half of the teams in the league having jump shooting PFs that would keep Dwight from being the inside presence he has always been, taking away one of his biggest strengths.

Coaches would pretty much tell their PFs to stand at their very maximum range and wait for Dwight to rotate over for a wide open shot or let their guys drive to the rim and not have to deal with him.

If Dwight and Okafor played 4/5 they'd just be interchangeable defensively. It's not a matter of who plays PF and who plays C, but who gets to guard who,

I don't like the idea of them playing together offensively, but with a guy like CP3, it can't be too bad.

I know that, but Dwight is better at everything than Okafor. Dwight's greatest skill is man-man post defense and help side blocking along with rebounding, all of those would be utilized more effectively at the PF position IMO.

Couple this with our lack of any PF talent, and Okafor demanding starters minutes, Dwight at the 4 could do a lot of good for this ball club.

I think that would only work well if Dwight really really really developed his mid range jumper this summer. Unless Okafor has a good mid range game (don't think he does).

On a side note, how sick would that be if we could run ISO plays for dwight outside the paint like that. He could easily take his man to the hoop, or bank in a 14-17 footer, or dump it to Okafor.

I know that, but Dwight is better at everything than Okafor. Dwight's greatest skill is man-man post defense and help side blocking along with rebounding, all of those would be utilized more effectively at the PF position IMO.

Couple this with our lack of any PF talent, and Okafor demanding starters minutes, Dwight at the 4 could do a lot of good for this ball club.

This is a petty idea, but pulling Dwight away from rim on the defensive end will hurt his overall numbers and maybe his confidence.

Also, just the way Dwight plays on the offensive end he would still play like a center even though he is labeled at the PF spot.

I just don't think you take the 3-time defensive player of the year and MVP contender away from his natural position. This is Dwight's team, why make him change?

More than half of the teams in the league having jump shooting PFs that would keep Dwight from being the inside presence he has always been, taking away one of his biggest strengths.

Coaches would pretty much tell their PFs to stand at their very maximum range and wait for Dwight to rotate over for a wide open shot or let their guys drive to the rim and not have to deal with him.

If Dwight and Okafor played 4/5 they'd just be interchangeable defensively. It's not a matter of who plays PF and who plays C, but who gets to guard who,

I don't like the idea of them playing together offensively, but with a guy like CP3, it can't be too bad.

I have no doubt Dwight can do both, guard the jump shot and remain inside, didn't Dwight guard both Kevin Love (man with big range) and Amare Stoudemire (one of the best jump shooting inside guys in the league)?

Or maybe eliminate this whole problem and start running some zones for the first time ever?

Also, offensively Okafor has shown he can get it done.

This is a petty idea, but pulling Dwight away from rim on the defensive end will hurt his overall numbers and maybe his confidence.

Also, just the way Dwight plays on the offensive end he would still play like a center even though he is labeled at the PF spot.

I just don't think you take the 3-time defensive player of the year and MVP contender away from his natural position. This is Dwight's team, why make him change?

No matter what the media says I refuse to believe Dwight is a numbers guy. Winning is his number one priority.

That's the thing, from all I know the PF is his natural position. Most Cs in the league are naturally PFs, Amare, K love, Nene, and DH all started as PFs.

I have no doubt Dwight can do both, guard the jump shot and remain inside, didn't Dwight guard both Kevin Love (man with big range) and Amare Stoudemire (one of the best jump shooting inside guys in the league)?

Or maybe eliminate this whole problem and start running some zones for the first time ever?

Also, offensively Okafor has shown he can get it done.

Yea, I think it would be interesting to see those two on the same team.

Also, it would be the #1 and #2 draft picks from the year that Dwight was drafted. Not sure if there has been a lot of players who have gone 1-2 in a draft and then eventually end up on the same team.

I think that would only work well if Dwight really really really developed his mid range jumper this summer. Unless Okafor has a good mid range game (don't think he does).

On a side note, how sick would that be if we could run ISO plays for dwight outside the paint like that. He could easily take his man to the hoop, or bank in a 14-17 footer, or dump it to Okafor.

Does anyone remember those plays during the Hawks series where Howard got the ball at the top of the key and made his way to the hoop with spins and ball handling? Don't forget he did play a little PG in high school. And obviously a commitment to a jump shot of any kind from Dwight would be important for this switch.

No matter what the media says I refuse to believe Dwight is a numbers guy. Winning is his number one priority.

That's the thing, from all I know the PF is his natural position. Most Cs in the league are naturally PFs, Amare, K love, Nene, and DH all started as PFs.

nobody is saying that dwight couldn't play PF. His strength (and the team's best option) is to have Dwight anchor the middle. If Dwight isn't in the middle, suddenly the lane opens up for attackers. And Okafor, though capable on defense, doesn't have nearly the same impact as Dwight.

• Upvote 1

I don't think he is a numbers guy either, but Dwight is one of the top 5 players in the NBA right now. Why wouldn't you feed his strengths and make him your main guy when you run the offense? D12's strength is strong post moves and power dunks. Putting him at a 4 that is typically set outside of the paint doesn't really make sense to me. But maybe that is just me.

nobody is saying that dwight couldn't play PF. His strength (and the team's best option) is to have Dwight anchor the middle. If Dwight isn't in the middle, suddenly the lane opens up for attackers. And Okafor, though capable on defense, doesn't have nearly the same impact as Dwight.

+1

OK, I see what you are saying now. Maybe Dwight stays on Center during defense and plays the PF position on offense? Or a modified version of the PF? I don't know just thinking out loud and trying to make a Okafor/Dwight front court work, and Emeka is too slow and not athletic enough to play the PF.

I don't think he is a numbers guy either, but Dwight is one of the top 5 players in the NBA right now. Why wouldn't you feed his strengths and make him your main guy when you run the offense? D12's strength is strong post moves and power dunks. Putting him at a 4 that is typically set outside of the paint doesn't really make sense to me. But maybe that is just me.

Why couldn't he still be our main guy at the 4? I don't see any drop in numbers with him switching from the 5 to the 4 offensively.