Sign in to follow this  
Ryan the Magic Fan

College Basketball Recruting 2011

every school does something against NCAA regulations. There's a lot of people "in the know" who always remark about how Clem$on always steals an improbable recruit. The, for lack of a better term, insiders would never come out and blatantly throw accusations around (because it hurts their access and unless it's a major notable story [cam newton] there isn't enough reward for exposing the situation) but they do wink at a lot of things. Its pretty much common knowledge in college football circles. Just like how New Mexico pays players too. You're naive if you think Calvin Smith, top 20 DT of 2010, picked New Mexico over Alabama, Tennessee, Arkansas, Florida, Florida State, Mississippi, Notre Dame, South Carolina, etc at the very last minute.

Clemson pays recruits just like Auburn pays recruits.

I don't think FSU pays recruits based on the fact we have trouble finding the finances for an indoor practice field. I do know of some minor things that I wont mention for obvious reasons.

I don't think UF pays recruits because they can recruit fine without it.

EDIT: I'm not sure if Tony Steward was paid by Clemson, but they did "show him a good time".

All those words and you didn't offer anything more than speculation.

To keep score: You said Clemson pays players. OK, I responded. Show me. You offered nothing substantial.

All those words and you didn't offer anything more than speculation.

To keep score: You said Clemson pays players. OK, I responded. Show me. You offered nothing substantial.

Lets just skip this whole thing and get to the end. I'll go find some story from a recruiting board saying how he's involved with a major booster and said booster was passing out some $500 handshakes to players at a 7 on 7 camp. You'll respond "You're basing your entire argument off of some guy on a message board. Look, I'll throw out some random accusations right now and it will be just as credible!"

But in reality, unless you have a major news outlet reporting something like the Reggie Bush stuff, the Tennessee stuff, the Auburn stuff, etc then nothing is going to be credible.

All i know is the Clemson paying players stuff is coming from many different avenues (i.e. not just idiot FSU fans who are pissed we didn't get Tony Steward).

Lets just skip this whole thing and get to the end. I'll go find some story from a recruiting board saying how he's involved with a major booster and said booster was passing out some $500 handshakes to players at a 7 on 7 camp. You'll respond "You're basing your entire argument off of some guy on a message board. Look, I'll throw out some random accusations right now and it will be just as credible!"

But in reality, unless you have a major news outlet reporting something like the Reggie Bush stuff, the Tennessee stuff, the Auburn stuff, etc then nothing is going to be credible.

All i know is the Clemson paying players stuff is coming from many different avenues (i.e. not just idiot FSU fans who are pissed we didn't get Tony Steward).

Fair enough. Then perhaps you should have reworded your original comment to sound something like "I've heard Clemson pays recruits" and leave out the certainty that statements like "Clemson does pay recruits" or "Miss Lippy's car is green" portray.

If your not trying to cheat, your not trying to win.

I truly believe every sporting team, collegiate and professional will take every advantage they can get away with to win. Why? Because people will do it at their normal jobs all the time.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/30/sports/ncaabasketball/30recruit.html?_r=1&ref=sports

well so much for your ascension UCF

Ware ended up picking the University of Central Florida, which has never won an N.C.A.A. tournament game and plays in a second-tier league, Conference USA.

Central Florida, it turns out, had an ally in its recruitment of Ware: Kenneth Caldwell, a Chicago man with a substantial criminal record and apparent ties to a prominent sports agency. Ware said Caldwell called him repeatedly to talk up Central Florida, traveled to Atlanta to meet with his family and even arranged joint phone conversations with the university’s basketball coach, Donnie Jones, and his staff — contact prohibited by the N.C.A.A.