Sign in to follow this  
Live or Die Magic

Fan Voice: "$10 Million Turk"

The Fan Voice: "$10 Million Turk"

By Live or Die Magic | April 5th, 2011

While watching the Orlando Magic’s losing performance against the Toronto Raptors on Sunday evening, I was amused at the constant booing that Hedo Turkoglu received from the Raptor faithful every time he touched the ball. I do not take issue with the booing; I’m of the mind that booing is acceptable, if it is justified. To Raptors fans, Hedo was a bill of goods that was sold at too high a price, a price that also included Chris Bosh. What I mean is, in the minds of Raptors fans, Hedo’s failure to produce as expected last season contributed to the Raptors not faring so well. This may also have diminished Toronto’s chances to keep Bosh (though he was likely gone, no matter what). Hedo didn’t help his cause by saying negative things about the team and the city of Toronto. So, the Raptors fans had plenty of reasons for booing Hedo.

The reason it amused me is because Hedo should never have been in a position to be booed by Raptors fans in the first place. If ever a player, and an international player at that, belonged with a certain team, a certain city, a certain system, it is Hedo Turkoglu and the Orlando Magic. The make-up of our team, with much of that emphasis placed on Dwight Howard, is perfect for getting the most out of Hedo’s game. Hedo’s finest seasons and finest moments have come while wearing Magic pinstripes. He feels happy here. His family feels happy here. He never wanted to leave Orlando.

It is telling that Otis Smith made a trade to bring Hedo back to the Magic in the 2nd year of a contract that Smith initially did not want to sign. Many Magic fans who truly liked Hedo, agreed with Smith’s decision not to sign him. These fans didn’t feel that Hedo was worth 10 million per season. After all, one of the reasons that Hedo was so valuable a player to us was because he did what he did while being such a bargain from a contract standpoint. But how could one justify suddenly having to pay twice as much for the same output, when the player is arguably only the third or fourth most important on your team? Smith’s decision to trade for Hedo means that, contract dollars aside, Smith feels that Hedo belongs here and that he is a better player with us than he could be elsewhere.

This rationale would be solid if Hedo was a more consistent player this season. You see, Hedo’s contract situation isn’t the only reason that he remains a divisive player amongst the Magic fan base. For every fan that was ecstatic to have him return last December, there was a fan screaming “What!! THAT guy!?” These particular fans have no issues with his timely passes into the post, his beautiful alleys to Howard’s oops, his effortless 3-point shooting, his ball-handling, or his offensive versatility. No, their problem is that he doesn’t do all of those wonderful things consistently enough to offset his defensive effort, his “all fade-away, all the time” shooting style, or his inexplicably poor decision-making at crucial moments. Presently, and for the first time since Stan Van Gundy took over the team, Hedo is a player that is very hard to get a read on. For every great game in which he gets double-digit assists and hits several timely 3-pointers, he has a game where he completely disappears from the offense. Even worse than his disappearing act are the games in which he takes multiple ill-advised shots, all with his patent-pending “fade-away flair.” Seriously, the guy is incapable of taking a shot while physically moving toward the basket. I’m sure you’ve heard me say this before, but Hedo is still the only NBA player to intentionally take a fade-away lay-up. Finally, for reasons unexplained, Hedo has forgotten how to shoot free throws. It is ridiculous that he is averaging under 70% for the season and under 60% over the last month!

Hedo’s inconsistent play from game-to-game is harder to swallow when you consider that he was brought back, in part, to improve ball movement and make it easier to get the ball into Dwight in the post (this should always be easy for Hedo considering he is arguably taller than Dwight). At this stage of his career, Hedo is unlikely to grow further as a player. Frankly, we don’t really need that from him. He will certainly never be a lock down defender, nor do we need him to be. He simply needs to execute Stan Van Gundy’s defensive philosophy, make his defensive rotations, and do his best to stay in front of his defender. Hopefully, his teammates’ help defense, and the presence of Dwight Howard, will more than make up for Hedo’s defensive shortcomings.

What we really need to see from Hedo is more of what we know he’s good at. If he is wide open for a 3-pointer, he should take it. He shouldn’t second guess himself. He should get the ball to Dwight in the post the moment Dwight has set himself in position. He should avoid dribbling for 15 seconds before unnecessarily taking a 20-foot fade away jumper. He should drive to the basket more and use his height to get a good and close shot at the basket and draw the foul. He should be more assertive but at the same time, more relaxed on the court. Much like they’ve done in their glorious recent past, his Magic teammates would feed off of that.

I know I’ve spent the last few paragraphs cutting Hedo down, but the truth is, I am glad he is back. As exasperating as Hedo’s play can be, he is still our Hedo. He truly is an Orlando Magic player. He chose to come here during his free agency season of 2004 and he never wanted to leave. He came into the Magic family at the same time as Dwight Howard and Jameer Nelson and he enjoys a strong bond with both of those players. He also has a great relationship with Coach Van Gundy. Van Gundy is not always pleased with what he sees from Hedo, but he recognizes that the Magic are a superior team when Hedo is playing at his best. By watching the games, it is easy to see that Hedo is an easy player to play with. He is adapt at getting the ball to a location the receiving player likes and, on the whole, he is unselfish on the offensive end. He is able to find Brandon Bass open at the top of the key. He is able to find Jason Richardson and Ryan Anderson wide open for 3-pointers. He allows Jameer Nelson to play off the ball at times, freeing up Nelson to focus on scoring. Of course, no one benefits from Hedo’s playmaking abilities more than Dwight Howard. Dwight Howard enjoys playing with Turkoglu, and that has to stand for something, doesn’t it? It is what we have to hang our hat on because frankly, Hedo and the Magic are likely stuck together for another three seasons (Hedo has a player-option in 2013).

Over the years, we found humor in Hedo’s well-deserved reputation for being lazy. We made fun of his affinity for pizza (and really, what’s not to love?) His teammates made fun of him for his gut and his lack of discipline with his conditioning. His effortless offensive game was only matched by his effortless defensive game (see what I did there?). But now, what we really need from Hedo, especially since our playoff prospects look murky for the first time in three seasons, is less humor, and more value. In fact, what we need is for him to become the 10-million a year version of himself.

This message was not subject of approval by the NBA or the Orlando Magic. The views expressed in this blog do not necessarily reflect the views of the Orlando Magic or the NBA, but solely the writer.

• Upvote 3

LoD, did you read what the Raptors management wrote about Hedo after he was traded? It was ridiculous. As bad as Hedo was, he was the guy to offer him that much money and then he goes on a tirade about how Hedo was fat and lazy, yet never once did he stop to think that this was the same Hedo as before, just in a different team, role, and system.

Also, keep in mind that since the trade to Phoenix, the amount of $$$ in Hedo's last year was cut by over 40%.

Also, keep in mind that since the trade to Phoenix, the amount of $$$ in Hedo's last year was cut by over 40%.

True. But really, what will we care about saving 5 million or so in 2013 if Howard is gone by then? Sorry...I hate sounding so cynical.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

True. But really, what will we care about saving 5 million or so in 2013 if Howard is gone by then? Sorry...I hate sounding so cynical.

Not at all, but I do think it makes him easier to be moved if needed.

Not at all, but I do think it makes him easier to be moved if needed.

True. I have to wonder if the rest of the league has now caught on that Hedo really only works in this system, where we allow him to handle the ball and he has a teammate capable of grabbing anything he throws up.

• Upvote 1

But now, what we really need from Hedo, especially since our playoff prospects look murky for the first time in three seasons, is less humor, and more value. In fact, what we need is for him to become the 10-million a year version of himself.

I can't think of a single reason to expect this.