Sign in to follow this  
VCplusD12

The Official Soccer Thread

lol, Pato & Brazil are going to have nightmares about that game. Dominated the entire thing but missed an unbelievable amount of chances and couldn't score a single goal in the shootout. It's why I don't like PKs one bit. . .

You have to give credit where it´s due: Justo Villar is just a superb GK. We know him well because here he had tremendous seasons from 2004/2007, but all the saves he had today, including with the foot, was what gave Paraguay the victory. Martino said: "We won because of focus, Villar, and lot of luck". That simple.

On the other hand, did anyone saw that everyone, after missing, was signaling the penalty point?. I guess there was a hole or something there, this was totally abnormal. Some, like Elano or Haedo Valdez, were not even close.

You have to give credit where it´s due: Justo Villar is just a superb GK. We know him well because here he had tremendous seasons from 2004/2007, but all the saves he had today, including with the foot, was what gave Paraguay the victory. Martino said: "We won because of focus, Villar, and lot of luck". That simple.

On the other hand, did anyone saw that everyone, after missing, was signaling the penalty point?. I guess there was a hole or something there, this was totally abnormal. Some, like Elano or Haedo Valdez, were not even close.

Definitely, but half of those shots were ridiculous misses (like Neymar's ball that didn't even sniff the post and Pato's header after the rebound). I just don't like seeing a team win despite only having maybe one shot at the goal (which was that header in which the guy was offside and I think ended up not even counting), while the other team misses over 10 shots, some the goalie just had pure luck. I mean, if it was a tight game back and forth and the goalie saved a few his team scored, then heck yep. . . but PKs are lame. I guess I only like them if the game is close throughout.

Definitely, but half of those shots were ridiculous misses (like Neymar's ball that didn't even sniff the post and Pato's header after the rebound). I just don't like seeing a team win despite only having maybe one shot at the goal (which was that header in which the guy was offside and I think ended up not even counting), while the other team misses over 10 shots, some the goalie just had pure luck. I mean, if it was a tight game back and forth and the goalie saved a few his team scored, then heck yep. . . but PKs are lame. I guess I only like them if the game is close throughout.

Nobody who likes "good football" wants the defensive teams to win it all. But look, it happens all the time. Its the strengths that teams like Paraguay and Uruguay use to beat teams like Brazil and Argentina. Heck, even Italy, doing next to nothing, with Cannavaro and Buffon at top level, won a WC doing it.

The only place in the world you will see a great offensive team, dominant like no other, that justifiably crushes all its opponents to the ground with the most artistic football you will ever seen, is Barcelona. That is something you did not see in the last 20 years.

But if you play any other team in the world, with tactics like kicking its best player all the time, simulating, flopping, complaining to the ref, going all out in corner kicks and free kicks, you will have a chance.

The level of Copa America is awesome.

Take away 4 guys: Xavi, Iniesta, Casillas and Rooney, and the rest of the World´s Best Players are here:

Messi, Forlan, Aguero, Neymar, Pato, Maicon, Mascherano, Lucio, Lugano, Robinho, Suarez, Sanchez, Vargas, Falcao, Tevez, Guarin, Lavezzi, Ganso.

Nobody who likes "good football" wants the defensive teams to win it all. But look, it happens all the time. Its the strengths that teams like Paraguay and Uruguay use to beat teams like Brazil and Argentina.

Their defense wasn't good though. . . that's the problem. A few good saves and some extremely lucky ones but there were at least 5 times where Brazil had a guy, the goalie, and the goal between them. I thought that minus their terrible finishing Brazil played extremely well whereas Paraguay was garbage for the entire game (minus their goalie). It's not even that they won but that they won on PKs, which to me is pretty lame. Had they scored at the last second of OT it would've been more deserved.

Actually if you like "upsets", this is the cup for you.

4 favourites quarter finals matches

Colombia - Peru

Argentina - Uruguay

Brazil - Paraguay

Chile - Venezuela

All 4 favourites lost. All 4 deserved to win. All faced extremely poised GKs, tough defenses and bad luck.

You don´t see this so often.

Take away 4 guys: Xavi, Iniesta, Casillas and Rooney, and the rest of the World´s Best Players are here:

Messi, Forlan, Aguero, Neymar, Pato, Maicon, Mascherano, Lucio, Lugano, Robinho, Suarez, Sanchez, Vargas, Falcao, Tevez, Guarin, Lavezzi, Ganso.

I actually think the level of Copa America was pretty mediocre up until the quarterfinals. Since it's gotten a lot better.

South America has a lot of great players, but on your list, you're missing amazing players like Ronaldo, Ozil, Pique, Rossi, Gerard etc, but I know what you mean...

2 things are happening....1-The level of bad teams such as Venezuela and Peru have improved and they're not scared of playing the big dogs anymore. 2-Good teams like Brazil and Argentina are not playing well. Brazil played pretty good today, but Pato simply isn't the answer for them.

I can't wait for the world cup qualifiers!

• Upvote 1

Argentina Uruguay was an instant classic. Probably one of the best 10 matches i ever seen. Not a good result for me, but it was brilliant. Goals, red cards, fights, posts, tremendous goalkeepeing, forlan, messi, lugano, aguero, penalty kicks...amazing.

I wouldn't go that far

but it was fun to see 4 upsets in 4 matches

I actually think the level of Copa America was pretty mediocre up until the quarterfinals. Since it's gotten a lot better.

South America has a lot of great players, but on your list, you're missing amazing players like Ronaldo, Ozil, Pique, Rossi, Gerard etc, but I know what you mean...

2 things are happening....1-The level of bad teams such as Venezuela and Peru have improved and they're not scared of playing the big dogs anymore. 2-Good teams like Brazil and Argentina are not playing well. Brazil played pretty good today, but Pato simply isn't the answer for them.

I can't wait for the world cup qualifiers!

No, i think level is good, just that there is parity nowadays. Venezuela is not allowing 5-6 goals every time you faced them, Peru is mentally tougher, and Uruguay and Paraguay come from long process with solid coaching and up and coming players.

Argentina is definitely not playing well. We do have one the best attacks in the World, but playing without a tall striker, your goal opportunities diminishes badly, taking into account how football is played today, when a FK or CK can be a game changer. Brazil was good just today and last game of the group stage.

080913Goldenbootaward12.jpg