Sign in to follow this  
The Ryan Anderbads

Has SVG failed the Magic? OR Management? OR players?

Some posters get upset if everyone does not agree that SVG is the best coach ever. It seems they take other peoples opinions personally. This hinders healthy discussions on these subjects. I think 90% of the failures can be contributed to Otis Smith and SVG. Otis Smith because he has made several bad trades ( I am only referring to the last 2 years- I don't know about his prior trades). The Carter experiment is an example. Turk said that he never wanted to leave the Magic, and had Smith made a decent offer to Turk, he probably would have stayed. After getting Turk back, Smith trades for a player that is injury prone and has some mental issues. He made the trade too quick imo. Turk and Lewis caused mismatches with other teams. I would liked to see how that would play out. We could have signed Areans any time before the trade deadline. Smith says things that hurt the Magic. For example, saying that James was not a competitier was not the right thing to say, as another poster pointed out, it made him look jealous and resentful. The remark about the Celtics was not good either. The Celtics are a tough time team. Smith has the Magic in not a good place. We are much too small to complete with the Lakers or the Celtics. Realistically, how often is Dwight going to be able to play the entire game with no breaks? Smith needs to get a high defensive player and quickly.

I agree that SVG was a good coach when he first become coach of the Magic. His style of play worked well for the first 2 years, but then Boston figured out how to defeat the Magic, and SVG has made little adjustment. I don't mean just in rotations. If other teams do not double team dwight, there must be a plan B. Last night we shot just 14% beyond the arc, (before the 4th quarter), and yet we continue to shoot them. We allowed the wizards to get back into the game. We need a coach who encourages more higher % shots instead of these bad 3 shots. SVG doesn't seem to have a lot of rapport with the players and during half time at the heat game, they seem to be tuning him out. No one appeared to be interested in what he had to say. I don't think he is helping the situation any by publicaly critizing his players.

The players contribute to the failure, but not playing 100% each night and with heart. I have a problem with players being played millions for a service, and not providing it on al daily basis.

The facts are right now, we are 5th in the Eastern conference and 3rd in the Southeast division. Things do not look too good for the Magic. The hawks have a favorable schedule in the next few games, and they probably will pull away from the Magic. We are looking at being the 5th seed at best.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Some posters get upset if everyone does not agree that SVG is the best coach ever.

Not a single person defending Van Gundy has said he is the best coach ever and is not supporting this. Quit making stuff up.

• Upvote 1

Since we had Dwight as a given after his rookie deal expired I would say the failure of the team rests on the fact that we are one of the highest payrolls in nba history (if not the highest) and dont have the assets on our team we should given the expendatures. I mean Otis should have at least one more star player (maybe two) for the amount the devos family is shelling out. Instead we have the worst contract in the league (Gil), few tradeable assets and a bunch of average to above average guys. The cash outlay for the club doesnt equal the talent. I like SVG and at one point even ate crow on Otis' moves but at this point the gm is the failure in my mind. In the Lakers series we easily could have and should have been 3-1 in orlando the Lakers got really lucky (and yes they are good....but lucky too). Last year our club looked unbeatable until the cold shooting doomed the club in boston series....it can happen to any club.

As an aside how do people say gortat is getting easy looks in PHX and thats why he looks good and then comment that JRich was getting 19ppg last year....it almost sounds like a politician. Pick a side.

Not a single person defending Van Gundy has said he is the best coach ever and is not supporting this. Quit making stuff up.

I did not say people defending Van Gundy said that. I said some people get upset if you don't agree that Van Gundy is the best coach. There are at least 4 different posters who get upset and I can tell by their posts they took it personally.

They play two different positions. Jrich was making a lot of open shots, something that can/has translated to our offense. Gortat haas scored a lot by being in the right position for nash dishes right near the basket. That's something he could not do here with the offense we run and dwight clogging the paint.

Also it'd be a lot easier to get other star players if the opportunity was there

I did not say people defending Van Gundy said that. I said some people get upset if you don't agree that Van Gundy is the best coach. There are at least 4 different posters who get upset and I can tell by their posts they took it personally.

People get upset because the people criticize svg without considering what a bad coach is. we're lucky to have svg because the alternatives are very scary. Svg is nowhere near the perfect coach but unless phil, pop, or coach k are available then stan is the best coach we can get.

it's like criticizing jameer because he's not chris paul or dwight because he's not bill russell.

Can you read?

There is a HUGE ass difference between "get upset and take posts personally" and defending Van Gundy. Find out WHY they're defending him before you even mention anything else. You cannot say "you can tell".

Same re-occurring problems against tough defensive teams. I still think we we get it together after the all star break but I'm not too sure about our championship contention with this team. Feeling a 2nd round knockout. I'll stand by my original statements until this team/coaching/management proves me wrong.

Its clear that the players have failed Stan more so than him failing them. Despite the bad rotations and his use of certain players on court, they should be prepared to play and compete against the biggest/smallest competition.

Instead, the so called best three point shooting team can never be efficient at shooting the shot their known to live and die for as a team. They are dying out there and have 20 losses on the season. Thats at a faster rate then last season and the All-star break isn't amongst them yet...amonst us yet. These players are getting paid millions of dollars to look like...play...like crap and Stan Van Gundy knows they can do better. This just ruins it for players who work harder to become better. Dwight Howard is the ONLY exception to not going hard every single game and taking everything personal. He's worked so hard...too damn hard for this team to be better than it is today.

If it wasn't for Dwight Howard and the few players with WORK ETHIC on this team, we would have been a lottery team, no question about it. There is too many times that Stan has to tell his players the same exact thing. While he's speaking, they're changing channels.

We're on the downfall fellas. Its been great to be a 40 plus win team for 4 seasons and a fifty plus win team for 3 straight seasons. The dark black hole is opening up and sucking us back into event horizon and breaking up this team into particles. We'll reassemble one day as one again...if..not this year..but in the future..

• Upvote 1

Its clear that the players have failed Stan more so than him failing them. Despite the bad rotations and his use of certain players on court, they should be prepared to play and compete against the biggest/smallest competition.

Instead, the so called best three point shooting team can never be efficient at shooting the shot their known to live and die for as a team. They are dying out there and have 20 losses on the season. Thats at a faster rate then last season and the All-star break isn't amongst them yet...amonst us yet. These players are getting paid millions of dollars to look like...play...like crap and Stan Van Gundy knows they can do better. This just ruins it for players who work harder to become better. Dwight Howard is the ONLY exception to not going hard every single game and taking everything personal. He's worked so hard...too damn hard for this team to be better than it is today.

If it wasn't for Dwight Howard and the few players with WORK ETHIC on this team, we would have been a lottery team, no question about it. There is too many times that Stan has to tell his players the same exact thing. While he's speaking, they're changing channels.

We're on the downfall fellas. Its been great to be a 40 plus win team for 4 seasons and a fifty plus win team for 3 straight seasons. The dark black hole is opening up and sucking us back into event horizon and breaking up this team into particles. We'll reassemble one day as one again...if..not this year..but in the future..

:svgsad: