Sign in to follow this  
FlawlessVictory

Orlando Magic - Contenders or Pretenders?

So the only reason you even have your panties in a bunch is because I outright said the Magic are not a championship contending team? Cool.

Being happy with just playing Boston or Miami or whoever in the EASTERN conference is NOT contending for a title....however you want to spin it. Again.....that is my opinion.

Playing and competing aren't the same thing.

To contend is to:

2. Engage in a competition or campaign in order to win or achieve (something).

As long as the Magic are competing against the top teams in the East and beyond, they're contenders. As long as they're fighting in the playoffs against Boston and Miami until the final possessions, they're contenders. Talk to me when this team can't compete.

And "panties in a bunch"? Really? As much as you would love for it to happen, not everyone/barely anyone will share the same view as you, and when you make threads such as this one, you're going to have people call you out on it. This isn't your livejournal where you post your thoughts and opinions for people to read. It's not RealGM.

Playing and competing aren't the same thing.

To contend is to:

2. Engage in a competition or campaign in order to win or achieve (something).

As long as the Magic are competing against the top teams in the East and beyond, they're contenders. As long as they're fighting in the playoffs against Boston and Miami until the final possessions, they're contenders. Talk to me when this team can't compete.

And "panties in a bunch"? Really? As much as you would love for it to happen, not everyone/barely anyone will share the same view as you, and when you make threads such as this one, you're going to have people call you out on it. This isn't your livejournal where you post your thoughts and opinions for people to read. It's not RealGM.

Obviously, your idea of "competing" for a CHAMPIONSHIP is different than mine and others. What's the big deal? Relax, it's the internet.

Obviously, your idea of "competing" for a CHAMPIONSHIP is different than mine and others. What's the big deal? Relax, it's the internet.

Several things, actually. . . threads like these encourage new posters to do the same.

As far as definition goes, it may be just semantics, but distorting the definition of something to fit what you're saying isn't exactly going to get people to take you seriously.

Oh, and I'm very relaxed. . . why do people think that for someone to call someone else out they have to be on edge?? Hell, how can I not be relaxed with this sad violin playing in the background and rain hitting my window?????

its your fault i always laugh at sad violin songs now

I actually really like that song, sometimes I'll listen to the whole thing.

Well then your definition of "competing" is wrong.

Competing != Winning

When you compete, there is a chance you can still lose or not attain your goal. If you win, well you win.

See the difference? And when I said you were wrong, I meant about "competing", not "winning".

As far as definition goes, it may be just semantics, but distorting the definition of something to fit what you're saying isn't exactly going to get people to take you seriously.

It's not distorting at all....it's perception.

Well then your definition of "competing" is wrong.

Competing != Winning

When you compete, there is a chance you can still lose or not attain your goal. If you win, well you win.

See the difference? And when I said you were wrong, I meant about "competing", not "winning".

Well then by your definition the Knicks, 76ers, Nuggets, or Jazz have equally as much a chance of winning a championship because they'll be "competing".

Well then by your definition the Knicks, 76ers, Nuggets, or Jazz have equally as much a chance of winning a championship because they'll be "competing".

The Magic have a better shot of winning a title than those teams and you know it.

The Magic have a better shot of winning a title than those teams and you know it.

Marc Acres 3:16, on 25 January 2011 - 07:39 PM, said:

Do you really think Pierce and Allen are great individual defenders? Is that your response? LOL, really?

Did I say that? They ARE, however, lightyears better than our duo.

"Van Gundy said Turkoglu is a good on-ball defender – Boston Celtics SF Paul Pierce said the same last month – but he gets lazy when playing off the ball. And he believes Richardson has the athleticism to be a great defensive player. "

My link

lol.

Magic coach Stan Van Gundy, however, has confidence the guys on the current Orlando squad can capably defend players on the perimeter.

“There’s no reason we can’t defend with the team that we have now,” Van Gundy said. “I don’t see any reason from a personnel standpoint that we wouldn’t be able to be an outstanding defensive team.”

Guys that are not great individual defenders can be part of a great defensive team. Every team in the league has weak defenders mixed in with very good ones, some teams are able to make it work, some are not. The teams that do make it work have a great defensive player as their leader and they have a coach that pushes them both are things that we do have.