Sign in to follow this  
NBAMagic47

Why?

quote:
Originally posted by NBAMagic47:

quote:
Originally posted by nbagod_2006:

i think you are just trying to stir up the pot on our happy day.... Who cares about Donovan anymore?! Stop raining on our parade.

I'm not trying to rain on our parade. I'm just wondering what message is management sending Van Gundy and us fans by not showing the same enthusiasm with Gundy and they showed with Donovan?

Obviously the Donovan hiring was a popular move by the Magic, which is why it was covered by much of the media in person. Donovan is well known and was liked due to his stint at UF. It's a story that the general public was interested in.

SVG is a good hire and I think he'll do well with the Magic, but he's not really well know with the general public. Why throw a big PR press conference if its not big news to the general public?

Hopefully SVG wins a championship with the Magic and then has the big press conference that you're dying to see.

quote:
Originally posted by lemonice1:

quote:
Originally posted by NBAMagic47:

quote:
Originally posted by nbagod_2006:

i think you are just trying to stir up the pot on our happy day.... Who cares about Donovan anymore?! Stop raining on our parade.

I'm not trying to rain on our parade. I'm just wondering what message is management sending Van Gundy and us fans by not showing the same enthusiasm with Gundy and they showed with Donovan?

Obviously the Donovan hiring was a popular move by the Magic, which is why it was covered by much of the media in person. Donovan is well known and was liked due to his stint at UF. It's a story that the general public was interested in.

SVG is a good hire and I think he'll do well with the Magic, but he's not really well know with the general public. Why throw a big PR press conference if its not big news to the general public?

Hopefully SVG wins a championship with the Magic and then has the big press conference that you're dying to see.

In my opinion, after all we have been through these past few weeks, they should have had the press conference at the Amway arena. They should have had it open to all the magic fans. They should have produced a couple of hundred "Van Gundy's our Choice" T-Shirts and invited every news organization in the country. That would have definitely send the message to Van Gundy and us fans that they are confident in their decision, and originally choosing Donovan was OUR mistake, not his mistake.

Seriously wow... I suprised you guys jumped on him like you did. I think it is a good question that could spark a good discussion...

With that said, I would imagine it being like setting up for a suprise party all day, get everyone into place waiting for the guest of honor to walk through the door, just to yell suprise to some unsuspecting person. Right after the birthday guest comes through the door and the suprise is never as spectacular as the first.

With us introducing 2 coaches in a weeks timeframe, everyone basically used up all their efforts on the first attempt, and basically thought "been there, dont that.. Lets move on"

I dont really think that is the right thing to do, but see it as the only logical explaination. Its not like the Orlando media is not excited about the hire. But I did think it was embarassing, and extremely disrespectful that there was no applause when introduced.

quote:
Originally posted by RoBo2002:

Seriously wow... I suprised you guys jumped on him like you did. I think it is a good question that could spark a good discussion...

With that said, I would imagine it being like setting up for a suprise party all day, get everyone into place waiting for the guest of honor to walk through the door, just to yell suprise to some unsuspecting person. Right after the birthday guest comes through the door and the suprise is never as spectacular as the first.

With us introducing 2 coaches in a weeks timeframe, everyone basically used up all their efforts on the first attempt, and basically thought "been there, dont that.. Lets move on"

I dont really think that is the right thing to do, but see it as the only logical explaination. Its not like the Orlando media is not excited about the hire. But I did think it was embarassing, and extremely disrespectful that there was no applause when introduced.

Exactly Robo, everyone there had like a "Are you kidding me, this is the best you can do?" attitude. It was sickening!! And I blame that on the organization, they should have outdid the Donovan press conference or gave their best attempt to do so.

Van Gundy just doesn't generate that same kind of hoopla that Donovan did. He's not a ready-made PR moment. He's just a very good coach, nothing fancy. It would have been embarrassing to try the same thing with Van Gundy - it wouldn't have felt right,especially after just going through all that last week. The Magic did it just the right way, and everyone handled the press conference with humor and grace. It could have been an embarrassing moment for both Otis and Van Gundy. Van Gundy handled the questions about him being "2nd choice" very well, I thought.

I didn't notice that "this is the best you can do?" attitude. Most of the sports writers seemed respectful, but then someone of course had to ask the "2nd choice" question. I agree with you about the applause, but I wasn't paying attention to that. If there was no applause, that was wrong. There should have been an effort to REALLY applause Stan, for all the praise he heaped on the Magic, and his desire to be Orlando's coach, after Donovan's rejection.

"Exactly Robo, everyone there had like a "Are you kidding me, this is the best you can do?" attitude. It was sickening!! And I blame that on the organization, they should have outdid the Donovan press conference or gave their best attempt to do so."

I Agree after all we've been through this week this had the look and feel of a side note...However whats more embarassing is Otis Smith's Speaking ability.....He must've said "UMM" about 1000 times...not to mention the mumbling....Is he Italian? He talks with his hands....He might be a great GM but talking to this guy you'd get the impression that he's SLOW or something.......

NBAMagic47....This post will more than likely get people off your back while they focus their attack on me......RUN!!!!!!!!!!!

Everyone here was just caught up with the euphoria of finally having a coach and failed to see the injustice of the whole thing. Injustice to Van Gundy and all of us fans. The press conference had a feel of like we just signed Van Gundy to a 10 day contract. The biggest smile was on Van Gundy's face, because he realised because of the whole Donovan fiasco, he just got over paid!!

quote:
Originally posted by RoBo2002:

Very nice analogy Robo!

Donovan was a "WOW" signing. No one expected it and the UF fan base was all over it. Then the debacle that ensued kind of let the air out of the balloon. I think we all, management included, just want to move on to basketball.

I think PR and arena wise Donovan was a "sexy" hire. Stan is the right hire from a basketball sense.

P.S. Does anyone deserve a long weekend at a secluded beach more than Otis does after this week? I actually felt for the guy this week.

quote:
Originally posted by jack daniel 999:

Quit making something out of nothing...

And just BELIEVE in what we are trying to do with our team.

Which is WIN A CHAMPIONSHIP.

I BELIEVE ...

DO YOU ???

GO MAGIC !!!!!!!!!

Whoa....you made JD break out the classic six liner.

Go Magic!!!