Sign in to follow this  
ball junkie

NBATV's McHale & Webber; "Magic Improved Markedly"

The Magic's recent moves have elicited mixed opinions by league observers, but NBA TV analysts Kevin McHale and Chris Webber said during a media conference call Tuesday that Orlando has improved markedly.

McHale doesn't accept the conventional wisdom that the additions of Gilbert Arenas, Earl Clark, Jason Richardson and Hedo Turkoglu will hurt the Magic defensively.

"After they made the trade, all of a sudden now Vince Carter and Rashard Lewis are [considered] defensive wizards," McHale said. "I didn't know those guys are that good defensively. Now, Mickael Pietrus is a solid defender, [but] I think they've actually improved defensively.

"I think J-Rich is very capable of playing a lot of defensive schemes," McHale added. "I think that [stan] Van Gundy is going to have get guys that kind of came from non-defensive schemes and put them into defensive schemes where they play well."

Webber thinks the acquisition of Turkoglu will make the Magic better — so much better, in fact, that Webber said the Magic moved up "maybe to the favorites" to win the Eastern Conference title.

Go Magic !!!

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/orlando-magic/os-orlando-magic-news-1222-20101221,0,4288397.story

• Upvote 2

It does seem to be quite a popular trade in favour of Orlando rather than Phoenix or Washington.

It does seem funny that people are talking about the defence we've lost because of it when you take into account half of the trade was VC and Lewis but there's no getting away from the fact that Gortat and MPs efforts will be missed on D due to the size and range they gave us.

Let's see who the new big is that we bring in and then see where our defence stands but the new roster SEEMS more energetic and if you have energy on the defensive end of the floor that's half the battle.

IMO a lot of the people that are negative about this trade are either not considering or are unaware of what JRich brings to the table! We traded 2 guys that we were supposed to be able to depend on for 2 guys that should get us 15-30 points each every game and a guy that was a very good play maker for us and knows how to get Dwight the ball at the right time. I for 1 feel that once our new guys get fully acclimated and we pick up anther big (even if it's Battie) we will be a much better team!

The team has already shown a tremendous increase in energy and after we beat Boston this afternoon we can all get back to supporting this team 100% and maybe even congratulate Otis for making a bold move at the right time!

It would be hard to say "Magic Improved Markedly" isn't true, we got the best scorer from the Suns, the best scorer from the Wiz, and we got our 6'10 play-maker back! We got 3 guys that go to the hole and traded 2 guys that don't and a couple of good bench players. IMO we raped!

McHale, Webber and Barkley all like the moves we made. Otis is going to be a lock to win the Executive of the Year Award.

Otis should win it... instead of doing VC for Arenas straight up and leaving us on the gallows with Shard he dumped both and got us a great shooter and Turk back!

Turk's contract looked really bad when he 1st got it but I'd rather have his on the books as a starter that can make a difference than Gortat's to be a bench player. We now have several people that can and will push the ball which will improve every guy that wants to run! When Otis makes a final play and somehow trades small for big he will truly be our hero!