VCplusD12

The Official MMA Thread

That might have been the easiest to predict main event in 5 years. Nick Diaz has never beaten a top tier fighter in his life, and to think he was going to start against GSP is really stupid.

That might have been the easiest to predict main event in 5 years. Nick Diaz has never beaten a top tier fighter in his life, and to think he was going to start against GSP is really stupid.

Diaz beat BJ Penn, former UFC Welterweight and Lightweight champion

Diaz beat BJ Penn, former UFC Welterweight and Lightweight champion

You would say that. Speaks volumes as to where you're coming from.

wacko.gif

Responding with BJ Penn is like me saying Kevin McBride never beat a top tier fighter and you coming back with Mike Tyson. It's obvious why that's stupid, mainly that Mike Tyson had no business being in a ring at that point of his life. Had those two fought in the 80s, McBride would be apart of Tyson's first round KO reel. Similarly, Nick Diaz beating a BJ Penn who was well past his prime, and fighting in a weight class he should have given up on 5 years earlier, doesn't mean much.

At 170, Penn is flabby and out of shape, and at a huge disadvantage against bigger and stronger men. If anything, that fight kind of shows how overrated Diaz is in general. Penn won the first round and did real damage, then he gassed out like he always does at 170 and became a human punching bag. If they fought each other while Penn was in his prime at 155, he would've easily had his way with Diaz. I mean, this is the same guy who couldn't beat Sean Sherk, a one dimensional wrestler who was very short in stature.

The truth is, Diaz has made a career out of fighting average fighters who could do nothing more than to stand in front of him and try to exchange. Hell, this is the same guy who was dropped by Paul Daley twice in the first round. Imagine what would have happened if Daley had any idea what he was doing. So, yeah, you could say Penn in response to my claim, but when you apply the proper context, it falls apart.

I understand you're a fan, but Jesus, what has he done to deserve the kind of blind adulation he receives from his followers? It's weird.

Responding with BJ Penn is like me saying Kevin McBride never beat a top tier fighter and you coming back with Mike Tyson. It's obvious why that's stupid, mainly that Mike Tyson had no business being in a ring at that point of his life. Had those two fought in the 80s, McBride would be apart of Tyson's first round KO reel. Similarly, Nick Diaz beating a BJ Penn who was well past his prime, and fighting in a weight class he should have given up on 5 years earlier, doesn't mean much.

At 170, Penn is flabby and out of shape, and at a huge disadvantage against bigger and stronger men. If anything, that fight kind of shows how overrated Diaz is in general. Penn won the first round and did real damage, then he gassed out like he always does at 170 and became a human punching bag. If they fought each other while Penn was in his prime at 155, he would've easily had his way with Diaz. I mean, this is the same guy who couldn't beat Sean Sherk, a one dimensional wrestler who was very short in stature.

The truth is, Diaz has made a career out of fighting average fighters who could do nothing more than to stand in front of him and try to exchange. Hell, this is the same guy who was dropped by Paul Daley twice in the first round. Imagine what would have happened if Daley had any idea what he was doing. So, yeah, you could say Penn in response to my claim, but when you apply the proper context, it falls apart.

I understand you're a fan, but Jesus, what has he done to deserve the kind of blind adulation he receives from his followers? It's weird.

Well, what you're doing with Nick Diaz can be done with anyone else.

GSP - oh he stinks, he lost to a fat lightweight in Matt Serra and was submitted by a wrestler

Condit - he stinks, he lost to Martin Kampmann who got TKO'd by PAUL DALEY

and so on

remember BJ Penn was supposed to face Carlos Condit when Diaz and GSP were first scheduled to meet but then the switcheroo happened? If Condit had beaten BJ Penn you would've considered that a good win

Nick Diaz is as valuable as any other opponent GSP has faced, let's see

Josh Koscheck - just got KO'd by Robbie Lawler who also got KO'd by Nick Diaz

Jake Shields - lost a bunch of fights after his title shot

Dan Hardy - went on a 4 fight losing streak and almost got cut

---

Those arguments are stupid and can be done with anyone else. I could say Anderson Silva lost to japanese cans back in the day (he did)

Ok GSP won, no one's disputing that, but it wasn't outclassing anyone, GSP won every round with superior wrestling but he didn't really hurt Diaz more than Diaz hurt him.

GSP did the same to Condit, to Koscheck, to Shields, to Hughes and to every god damn Welterweight in the world.

I'm not butthurt, but trying to diminish Nick Diaz's skills just because he's a "punk" is stupid.

^ Can't do it to Jonny Bones. His one loss is a DQ because he was hitting the guy too hard lol.

Jon Jones has the best resume anyone at his age has ever had. If he keeps this up he will be the greatest of all time