Sign in to follow this  
Dan Savage

Daniel Orton Update

It’s only fitting that Orlando Magic rookie Daniel Orton wanted to be a garbage man growing up, because right now he’s doing plenty of dirty work.

The Magic have been putting the green center out of Kentucky through a reprogramming process since the moment they drafted him with the 29th overall pick in the 2010 NBA Draft.

The most important part of that program has been getting his body ready to play at the NBA level.

He’s been working out extensively with Strength-and-Conditioning Coach Joe Rogowski along with Scouting Information Manager Charles Klask on rehabbing his knee and improving his physical condition. And he’s already seen substantial results.

Orton has dropped over 20 pounds and lost four percent body fat, while also regaining strength and confidence in his knee.

More: http://www.nba.com/magic/news/aroundtheamway_101410.html

Plus here's a 12 minute video of Daniel Orton going through all his drills: http://www.nba.com/magic/video/2010/10/14/101410ortonpracticem4v-1439245/index.html

• Downvote 1

I find these videos really fascinating. I could watch this stuff for hours. The kid looks like he has decent touch from the outside.

Good stuff Dan. I'm curious to know what Orton's role will be next season, and in the future, and see how his defensive abilities fare against other NBA talent. Could he be our backup C, or battling Anderson for starting PF? I think his development will push Bass out the door, if he isn't there already. Could he ease the pain of an eventual loss of Gortat? This guy is a total mystery and I look forward to watching him grow with our team.

Orton is a luxury pick that not many teams have the ability to do. However, the fact that he's already dropped 4% body fat since the draft is quite unreal. He appears to be working hard and really trying to step his game up.