Sign in to follow this  
~O~

Morning Tip

13_Columnist_Banner_MorningTip.jpg

Walker hopes next NBA job gives him chance to teach others

CHICAGO -- I have been warned off of this story.

I will damage my credibility, a coach tells me, if I write a story painting Antoine Walker in a sympathetic light. He was a bad guy in Boston, the coach says of the 34-year-old Walker, and a bad guy in Miami, and a bad guy in Memphis, and he's just desperate and broke now, looking for a last payday.

But my goal, as training camps begin leaguewide this week, is not to make you like or feel sorry for Walker, but just to tell you that he's looking for a job.

He's been out of the league since reaching a settlement with the Grizzlies in 2008, and last spring, he ballooned to almost 300 pounds. He's lost 35 pounds in the last six months, working out both at the University of Louisville and at Tim Grover's Attack Athletics in Chicago. Whether you believe he's trying to come back because he needs to make money to pay the still-numerous people he owes -- having lost almost all of the more than $100 million in salary he earned during his career -- or because, as he says, he didn't leave the game on his own merit, I'll leave up to you.

My link

-------------------------------

Opinion:

I honestly can't bring myself to feel sorry for him.

Your given money that should make your family rich for generations and blow it the same way you've seen others blow it. As if seeing what MC Hammer went through isn't enough of a lesson to NOT spend so much. As if there aren't television shows and sitcoms and cartoons on television that tell you to not spend so much? As if knowing gambling is addictive and there are leeches and succubus's that are only after your money in this world that you would not know to spend so much.

Your mother didn't raise you right.

-------------------

0927-la-lakers-300.jpg

Top O' the World, Ma!We begin our top 15 Power Rankings this week with the first preseason snapshot, taking into account all the moves made this summer, but also respectful toward teams that have proven themselves year in and out in the playoffs -- which is the whole point of this, isn't it?

1) L.A. Lakers (57-25 in 2009-10, won NBA championship): When another team has three 7-footers who can all ball, and the best closer in the game, and is going for another Threepeat, for a coach with 11 rings, let me know and I'll rank them No. 1.

2) Orlando (59-23, lost Eastern Conference finals to Boston): They were the best team in the league through two rounds of the playoffs, and then it came apart against Boston. Think Magic would love another shot.

3) Miami (47-35, lost in first round to Boston):Anything big happen on South Beach this summer?

---------------------------------------------------------------

We're ranked in front of Miami?! -waxes my eyes in disbelief-

I don't feel sorry for the guy, but if he can somewhat contribute to any team, you don't look at how much he has on his savings, but how much can he contribute to my team.

I see people being pulled over on the highway about 4 times a week and that does not stop me from going 10-12 miles above speed limit. While I don't feel sorry for the guy, I can't blame him and I'm no one to do so. I'm sure if I made 100mil in 10+ years, my lifestyle would drastically change even if my mom thought me how to spend my money. I don't think I'd be that stupid, but who really know....give 100k million and I tell it how it goes!