Sign in to follow this  
Dan Savage

Van Gundy Fires Back at Riley

While the rivalry between the Orlando Magic and Miami Heat might lay dormant at times during the offseason, the venom between the two heated, hated sides clearly never bubbles too far below the surface.

And old rivals Otis Smith, Stan Van Gundy and Heat president Pat Riley have made sure that the vitriol between the two teams continues to flow all summer long.

Irked at some of the comments from Smith, Orlando’s President of Basketball Operations, and Van Gundy, the Magic’s head coach, following Miami’s free-agent signings of LeBron James and Chris Bosh in July, Riley went on the offensive on Friday. He was highly critical of Smith, Van Gundy and TNT analyst Charles Barkley for becoming the ``moral conscious or moral authority’’ of players in the NBA.

Van Gundy, who worked in Miami with Riley for 12 seasons from 1995-2006, fired back on Saturday at the many inconsistencies in Riley’s behavior and criticisms through the years.

``I thought it was pretty typical. I was kind of amused by it, especially reading down through the interview,’’ Van Gundy said. ``He goes into Charles Barkley, me and Otis and then says he doesn’t worry about what people say. Wait, you called the press conference, you went off and everybody and you don’t care what people say? Clearly, he cares a great deal about what people say. I was laughing when I saw that.’’

Read More: http://www.nba.com/magic/news/denton_story_091110.html

• Upvote 2

Wait, you called the press conference, you went off and everybody and you don’t care what people say? Clearly, he cares a great deal about what people say. I was laughing when I saw that.

Best part

I love Stan Van. Seriously, best coach in franchise history. and yeah, thats over Daly. RIP.

This guy doesnt take shyt from anyone. Our team has taken his personality. I love it. Stan is BOSS

I remember back when Rashard was a free agent, and ESPN and all the sports channels and papers were drooling over where Shard was going to go. All the FA were waiting for his decision before themselves deciding.

I will never for get it...

ESPN did a show where Shard was interviewed by Jim Gray, in a boys and girls club in Montana. I remember them showing the clips of a sports bar in Seattle, Houston, and Orlando and when Shard said "I have decided to take my talents to the Magic Kingdom" the Houston sports bar put the Astro's game on, the Orlando bar went ape ****, and the Sonics were put up immediately for sale. The funniest part was in the Orlando bar where there was a guy wearing a Seattle Rashard lewis jersey who was jumping up and down cheering his heart out about Shard coming to orlando. Even the commentator pointed it out: "Look! A Seattle fan cheering Shards decision".

It was great.

I will never forget it.

Erick Spolestra will be an assistant coach for the Magic for the 2011 - 12 season.

• Upvote 1

awesome

jameernelson

O yea!! Wish yall coulda saw my Head Coach doing Sprints today. Hilarious. about 1 hour ago via Twitter for BlackBerry®

jameernelson

To be honest it made me work harder. I think it shows His Commitment to us as players. But it was funny a hell to see 43 minutes ago via Twitter for BlackBerry®

• Upvote 1

But (Billy) King also said he was not surprised that Orlando Magic coach Stan Van Gundy and Orlando General Manager Otis Smith previously made their critical views known.

“Stan and Otis were making their point; it naturally becomes a mind game,” King said. “They fired the first shot across the bow. Now Pat comes back, and it will continue throughout the year until the Commissioner steps in.”

by: Ira Winderman

Link (Sun Sentinel)