Sign in to follow this  
BMP

Chris Vernon Show

http://chrisvernonshow.podbean.com/2010/08/23/chris-vernon-show-august-23-2010-interview-with-grizzlies-owner-michael-heisley-interview-only/

Memphis Grizzlies Majority Owner Michael Heisley visited The Chris Vernon Show (730 Fox Sports) Monday August 23, 2010. Mr. Heisley spoke with Chris Vernon about his decision making with the Xavier Henry contract situation, the Xavier Henry contract situation, the Xavier Henry contract situation, and the Xavier Henry contract situation. This podcast features only audio from Chris Vernon’s interview with Memphis Grizzlies Majority Owner Michael Heisley on Monday August 23, 2010.

http://chrisvernonshow.podbean.com/mf/play/9gzw8w/Michael_Heisley_8-23-10.mp3

right click > save as to download

I know it's incredibly long and know a lot of people here can't stand to listen to anything for longer than 5 minutes, but it's definitely a must-listen. This makes me EXTREMELY glad we have Otis as our GM.

"I've never seen the collective bargaining agreement" wincentsad.png

shooter' timestamp='1282626892' post='569329']

Boy, I wish I was a multimillionaire... :(

I'd probably be the most hated owner ever. I'd make Cuban look like a saint on the bench.

I'd probably be the most hated owner ever. I'd make Cuban look like a saint on the bench.

I'd probably go to every one of your games. Somehow get season floor seats and reek havoc from the stands. And perhaps steal Iguodala's shoes before a game.

I'd probably never be able to get any stars on my team because of the amount of collusion that would eventually lead back to me (from spamming their twitter accounts, e-mails, and skywriting).

I would personally accompany you on your meeting with the real AI. We could take Andre to the Andean mountains where he could flock with his own kind. He's a lock for the team.

If I owned a team with Howard, Iggy, AND Nelson, I think I'd be the happiest man alive.

Bump for this thread. This interview was gold, figured at least some people here would like it...

Chris Herrington on it:

http://www.memphisflyer.com/BeyondtheArc/archives/2010/08/24/michael-heisley-annotated-part-two

Though he denies it on a follow-up question, Heisley gives the strong impression of being out of sorts about past rookie performance, which may have led to him taking a more personal interest in negotiations this time. This is one potential answer to the question of why the Grizzlies changed their stance toward rookie contracts this season. But the other comes here:

Vernon: Did this way of conducting business regarding the rookie contracts just come to you after reading the collective bargaining agreement? It appears as if you had this epiphany after reading the collective bargaining agreement — 'Oh my god, why are we conducting our business this way. Here I am reading the collective bargaining agreement and we don't have to do it this way.'

Heisley: I've never seen the collective bargaining agreement.

Vernon: What?

Heisley: I've never seen it.

Vernon: How is that possible?

Heisley: It's very possible. Are there things you haven't seen in your life?

Vernon: Well, I don't own an NBA franchise.

Heisley: What would you do, study the collective bargaining agreement?

Vernon: Absolutely.

This is where a lot of Grizzlies fans had to start getting very depressed. Apparently, Heisley hasn't demanded stronger performance clauses in the past because he didn't know that he could.

Heisley pushes against Vernon's own knowledge of the CBA here, as if Vernon should be held to the same standard and unaware that his interviewer does actually have decent grasp of league rules. He makes a case for the advisory role of his staff that essentially makes Heisley sound like Jerry West and Chris Wallace sound like Tom Penn (West's assistant general manger during his Memphis tenure).

• Upvote 1