Sign in to follow this  
sharp/7/shooter

Cannabis, Marijuana and the Great Debate of Legalization

Agriculture as a whole is not incredibly profitable and the financial exposure required to turn a modest profit each year is probably the worst business model in America. Which is why independent farmers are being pushed out of the picture and the industry is going the way of corporate farms.

The Farm subsidies you're talking about do exist, but they are far from universal. Most farm subsidies exist because farmers can't survive at the prices they receive for commodities. And, obviously, restricting supply is bad for consumers.

Why I suggest "compensating" farmers (with emphasis on independent farmers) by allowing them to grow weed is to eliminate the need for subsidies & government manipulation of supply & demand. If this were policy, farmers would be virtually garuanteed a comfortable living, and in turn would be able to provide their regular commodities at the market price dictated by supply & demand without subsidies and without government manipulation. Good for independent farmers, good for tax payers, good for consumers.

I think that makes a lot more sense & serves the greater good more than allowing degens to grow weed in residential neighborhoods, where as we've seen in Cali, leads to all types of crime & public safety issues.

The way the farming industry is panning out worries me and should really get more attention. The fact that corporate farms are undoubtedly taking over the scene and will be producing the majority of acrigultural sales could result in a significant downgrade of the quality of product consumers will see each day. It all depends on how much pressure the mass market puts on the entities that initiate the loss of quality. I'm terrified of processed and mass-made, cheaply grown crops dominating the market.

Marijuana may not be the solution, but it could very likely revive the American agricultural industry. Make commercial licenses to grow hard to get and enforce penalties on those who do not cooperate with a well-structured policy model. This way, our GDP increases by the billions and we revive a struggling industry that continues to plummet south.

People like blaming Reagan for everything.

IMO, it is a state issue. I don't think there needs to be a federal law on the books or a Constitutional Amendment, but I also am anti- IRS, Dept of Education, Dept of HUD, etc.

I think states should have the right to legalize anything they want. I'd support the legalization of cocaine as well as pot. If cigarettes and tobacco are legal then so should numerous other drugs.

I've never smoked a cigarette in my life, but I am against private property smoking bans. I also think prostitution and gambling should be legal everywhere, as well as gay marriage and the ability to sell your organs. But like I said, its a state issue, and I don't want the government getting involved in any of these issues at the federal level.

hasn't obama's admin left this issue to the states to enforce? i think i saw something on current about the change in policy from bush to obama in california and other states that have legalized or decriminalized of pot in some way.

hasn't obama's admin left this issue to the states to enforce? i think i saw something on current about the change in policy from bush to obama in california and other states that have legalized or decriminalized of pot in some way.

Many states have chosen to decriminalize marijuana, for instance Massachusetts has made it a $100 fine for possession of less than an ounce without intent to sell. The decriminalization model is highly flawed IMO, leading people to think that it is ethically okay but yet are still penalized if caught. This is an issue in itself and mostly has public perception to blame. Politicians do not want to commit 100% to either side because they want to appeal to everyone. Marijuana is one of the most harmless substances on the face of the earth, coffee is worse for you for pete's sake...and yet the majority of society still rejects it.

Anyways, California is putting the legalization of possession and selling of marijuana on their November ballot due to public demand. I wonder how that will turn out, and I do hope they get it right if Cali decides to legalize it. Structure the marijuana laws and guidelines well so that they can benefit and allow other states to follow suit.

Im part of the group that wants it legalized. so many positive factors come from its use and it sucks you gotta buy it from people you don't exactly know.