Sign in to follow this  
barnettej

Udonis Haslem Riding with Mary Jane

Can't say I sympathize for him in the least. He was obviously baked if he didn't realize that speeding to that degree with marijuana in his car was an idiotic idea on several fronts.

Regardless of what anyone says, the stuff is illegal (doesn't matter your views on it)...the problem is, he's an athlete, he's going to get off with a slap on his wrist even with the amount they found on him.

You make it seem like they found a lot on him... they didn't.

Florida law regarding this is really stupid, by the way. In a lot of states, almost everyone (athlete or not) would get a fine and that's it, and sometimes for a much bigger amount.

Whatever, though... he's an idiot for getting caught, already found a way to get bailed out (his friend proclaiming it was his), and no one really looks up to Haslem for it to be an issue either way.

Haslem should know better. He should have been out partying in a club or something with good clean alcohol instead, like a real American.

Also, he gets paid millions so he should be able to afford to pay people to keep him out of trouble. And he should donate the amount of the fine to charity and do some community service or something, perhaps warning kids about the dangers of drugs (only the illegal ones though).

Can't say I sympathize for him in the least. He was obviously baked if he didn't realize that speeding to that degree with marijuana in his car was an idiotic idea on several fronts.

I can. He's in trouble for being in possession of a plant. Not for driving while under the influence of the plant, not for selling it or even consuming it. Just having it. That's ridiculous.

If it had been a case of beer or some liquor, there would be no problem. I fail to see the difference, beyond "one of these things is illegal because we say it is".

You make it seem like they found a lot on him... they didn't.

Florida law regarding this is really stupid, by the way. In a lot of states, almost everyone (athlete or not) would get a fine and that's it, and sometimes for a much bigger amount.

Whatever, though... he's an idiot for getting caught, already found a way to get bailed out (his friend proclaiming it was his), and no one really looks up to Haslem for it to be an issue either way.

Do you even know the amount that was found on him? No, it could be 20.2g or up to 99g, we are not told the specifics, we are only told that it's more than 20g and in the state of FL that is a lot and the penalty, if the judge applies it fully, is harsh.

Possession of Marijuana (more than 20 grams)

Possession of more than 20 grams of marijuana is a Third Degree Felony.

A 3rd degree felony has a maximum penalty of 5 year in jail and a $5000 fine.

(See My FL Marijuana possession page.)

Ref: Florida Criminal Statute - §893.13(6)(a)

But like I said, I'm sure he'll get a slap on the wrist.

Do you even know the amount that was found on him? No, it could be 20.2g or up to 99g, we are not told the specifics, we are only told that it's more than 20g and in the state of FL that is a lot and the penalty, if the judge applies it fully, is harsh.

But like I said, I'm sure he'll get a slap on the wrist.

It doesn't make the law any less stupid or discussion of it any less warranted. He already got his friend to take the blame, so he'll be fine. Now, do we lock the thread and move on or talk about how stupid FL law (well, most of the country's law) is and how it should be changed? Most people here want to discuss things, not leave them as they are and move on.

It doesn't make the law any less stupid or discussion of it any less warranted. He already got his friend to take the blame, so he'll be fine. Now, do we lock the thread and move on or talk about how stupid FL law (well, most of the country's law) is and how it should be changed? Most people here want to discuss things, not leave them as they are and move on.

Yes, some laws need to be reviewed and changed or even dropped. There are many outdated laws that still exist, and there are the laws that no longer apply because we have grown as a civilization...

For Marijuana... I view it as the same way I view alcohol. As long as your a responsible person, know your tolerance level, and dont do something stupid.... then you should be okay to consume. Again, its all about handling your responsibility.

Regardless if one thinks the law is stupid, it's still in effect.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Regardless if one thinks the law is stupid, it's still in effect.

So we shouldn't question it? We should abide by the rules no matter what?

nawww

So we shouldn't question it? We should abide by the rules no matter what?

nawww

Unless one is doing something to change the law, all we are doing is complaining and complaint doesn't make the consequences of said law any less severe if one choose not to follow it.

As for me, I don't think the law is stupid.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Unless one is doing something to change the all, all we are doing is complaining and complaint doesn't make the consequences of said law any less severe if one choose not to follow it.

As for me, I don't think the law is stupid.

Would you also support a law prohibiting alcoholic beverages? Why or why not?