Sign in to follow this  
Osprey

HTC EVO 4G (Anyone got one?)

Just got it a few days ago and am currently figuring out all the cool things to do with it.

Anyone else have anything cool they found to do on it or necessities? Any good apps?

Battery sucks but its still more than worth it.

Why do the batteries always suck?

Maybe someone should be trying to figure that out.

quote:
Originally posted by jecMagicMan:

Well I seemed to have solved my battery problem. I just downloaded a task killer app and set it to ultra aggressive and to kill apps every time the screen shuts off. Really has extended the life.

Also turned my wifi and GPS adapters off so they aren't running at all times.

Now I can talk for a whole 65 minutes on the phone before it shuts down. I win!

I don't have one but I've got an Android phone so here are a few tips to check out.

First, make sure all your apps aren't running in the background 24/7 (especially the ones you don't use often). This will kill the battery life ASAP. The task killer I recommend so, you're ahead of the game. If you've got apps that update periodically (Twitter, Weather, News etc.) Try limiting how often they update. Ex. every 15-30 min or even hr. Turning off the GPS and Wifi as well, again you're ahead.

Apps:

Lookout Mobile: IDK if you haven't checked it out but its awesome. Backs-up photos, contacts and scans your phone for viruses. It scans every app downloaded and their updates just in case an evil developer puts a bomb in the app. Also, you can select it to backup your data weekly or monthly. Any changes to contacts and any new pictures all get backed up to the website you can log into. If your phone is stolen you can also track it via gps.

Official site: https://www.mylookout.com/

I'd also recommend https://www.wavesecure.com/

I believe you have to pay either yearly for that though. If you're interested it comes with the same as Lookout except the better feature is if your phone is stolen you can wipe it, lock it and send a message to it the the phone so they can see where/how to return it. Also they can't uninstall the app, unless they're some kind of nerdy phone freak hacker.

Otherwise just roam the market and see what you're into. The Facebook app isnt iPhone material yet but decent. You'll have to use the browser version for some cases.

quote:
Originally posted by Osprey23:

quote:
Originally posted by jecMagicMan:

Well I seemed to have solved my battery problem. I just downloaded a task killer app and set it to ultra aggressive and to kill apps every time the screen shuts off. Really has extended the life.

Also turned my wifi and GPS adapters off so they aren't running at all times.

Now I can talk for a whole 65 minutes on the phone before it shuts down. I win!

Well done, good sir, well done.

quote:
Originally posted by ChevyBallinHot:

Is the battery life really that bad on the Evo? I have the Nexus One and I'm pretty good with the battery life. I can last a whole 24 hours before it hits the red. I usually keep it charged until I'm ready to go out. Even in my pocket at work with twitter updates and a couple of widgets it doesn't affect the battery until I start using apps and the browser. Of course I don't have the nice screen like the Evo...would recommend turning down the brightness when off the charger?

And on the email it doesnt connect to the server when you try to add the account right? I believe the school emails wont work since they add security or haven't figured out what settings they use.

Thats exactly what happens with the email server.

And the battery life isn't as bad as a lot of people say once you make a few of the mentioned adjustments. I get about 9 hours with moderate playing around.

Meh idk....I just get my AOL and Gmail delivered so I work with it. What you can try is going to the actual website from the browser if its that important. IDK if your school uses a flash based program for it if so then you'll have to wait until the 2.2 update for the Evo w/ Flash 10.1....quite a hassle but the only way smh.

You should be able to get a school email running. I just hooked two up the other day on Evo's with the security settings and all. You should have an IT guy you can take it to at your school.

quote:
Originally posted by NickAnderson:

You should be able to get a school email running. I just hooked two up the other day on Evo's with the security settings and all. You should have an IT guy you can take it to at your school.

Gonna go do that today.

Also, you guys need to download the Alchemy App. It's a free game and incredibly addicting.

Oh. I still use one of those old Nokia phones with that game "Snake" on it. I only need to make phone calls and occasionally spoil myself with a brief moment of entertainment! I'd rather just go outside though and plant. Smiler