My 6th Rebuild

PF debate thread with Steve Nash on the side

quote:
Originally posted by raf008:

quote:
Originally posted by ButterMilkPancakes:

quote:
Originally posted by Chase:

I don't get why everyone want's to fix a part of our team thats not broken? What's wrong with Meer? I say push for the Boozer trade and use gortat/bass/jj/and vc as tradeing chips for that.

The PF position has been broken?? Since when?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPPtVH0cOvU

moments like that suck the life out of me man...what if that was an elimination game in the playoffs? the point is if we control the Boards all game we win the majority of the time..sometimes dwight can't be the only one in the trenches fighting for boards

Josh Smith is an incredible athlete and believe it or not that wasn't his first buzzer beater dunk of that season (he had one against the Rockets prior to that game). That play, if played another 10 times, would not happen again. It was extreme luck followed by extreme athleticism. You don't use one play to try to prove a point.

The Magic SWEPT the Hawks in the playoffs, by CONVINCING numbers.

Josh Smith, who you honestly believe was a huge mismatch for Lewis, averaged 15.8 ppg on 44.1% shooting and 7.8 rebounds. Lewis averaged 17 ppg on 55.6% shooting and 46.2% from 3pt range and averaged 5.5 rebounds, as well as 3.5 assists (twice as much as JSMOOOOVE).

So, what are you trying to say? That we should get a PF just in case a play like that happens again (which is probably 10 times a season for every team in the league)???

Not to mention the team LED in defensive rebounds this season and 5th in overall rebounding (makes sense because this team focuses on getting back after a missed shot, so they don't go for many offensive rebounds. It's also one of the big reasons why it was one of the best transition defenses in the league).

We did get to the ECF with Nelson as our PG didn't we. I don't think our pg position is a problem. It wasn't like Rondo out played Nelson. Yeah Rondo has better court vision but Nelson was clearly not the reason we lost to them. We just wasn't making open shots and lost to a better team.

BMP you can bring up all the stats you want but at the end of the day Shard didn't get it done at the PF position....for some reason it's great in the the regular season but the effectiveness wanes at the worst possible time in the postseason....But it is amazing that with dwight alone we are 5th in rebounding but to me why can't we be 1st

quote:

BMP you can bring up all the stats you want but at the end of the day Shard didn't get it done at the PF position....for some reason it's great in the the regular season but the effectiveness wanes at the worst possible time in the postseason....But it is amazing that with dwight alone we are 5th in rebounding but to me why can't we be 1st

I just told you why we can't be first. The team philosophy is not to get offensive rebounds but to get back on defense. The team IS first at defensive rebounding.

And what are you talking about? Shard and KG completely canceled each other out. We didn't lose because of a problem at the PF position. The stats I brought up were from the PLAYOFFS. PLAYOFFS. Lewis completely killed Atlanta's "conventional 4". The problem against Boston wasn't at the 4. He had a viral infection and was still able to cancel Kevin Garnett.

Our biggest problems came from the SG and SF positions, where Carter and Barnes were completely out played by Allen/Pierce on both sides of the court, yet you're here to tell me the problem came from the position that suffered the least damage (not counting the center position)???

quote:
Originally posted by Rob:

We did get to the ECF with Nelson as our PG didn't we. I don't think our pg position is a problem. It wasn't like Rondo out played Nelson. Yeah Rondo has better court vision but Nelson was clearly not the reason we lost to them. We just wasn't making open shots and lost to a better team.

I Agree With You Rob!

Jameer Is Not The Problem, The Only Downside To Jameer Is His Size & Thats It!

He Is A Top 10 NBA PG In My Eyes!

What We Need Is A Upgrade At Either SG Or SF.

Now I Think if Lewis Moves Back To Sf Thats The SF problem Solved, I'm All For Matt Barnes Coming Back But We Need More Offence At That Position & shards size alone will be an annoyance to quicker SF'S!

Now If & When Lewis Moves To The SF Spot We Need A Upgrade at PF Plain & Simple! Boozer I think would fit the mold perfectly!

Then See how VC Goes up until Feb & If He aint cutting it then Trade him b4 the dealine for a uprade SG! Any thoughts welcomed of course!!

Nelson/Watson/J Will

Carter/Redick/Foye

Lewis/Barnes/Robinson??

Boozer??/Lewis/Anderson

Howard/?????/Orton

Trading Away Gortat, Pietrus( Gutted ) & Bass!

& Maybe Getting Something For The TPE!?

Your right about KG and Lewis cancels each other out. They both defended each other really well. Also you could say that Nelson and Rondo cancels each other out as well. The only difference in both teams is that Pierce couldn't be stopped and Carter was. Simple as that. We got out hustled and out coached. Wasn't hitting our open shots.

IMO a "veteran Stanley Robinson" would be what we want in a SG or SF. An explosive, slashing wingman is a key piece we are missing. Like Skywise said, VC hasn't proven to be that guy yet.

We don't necessarily need a Go-To guy in this position, but we wouldn't mind having one. From what I saw last season, the coaching staff was leaning on VC to be our "closer" and go-to performer. When they saw that he wasn't meeting expectations, we turned to other players. On any given night, any of our team members could arise as a clutch performer. We were so inconsistent in this area....one night Rashard could go off, another night Jameer, another game could be Dwight's domination, another could be efficient bench play, etc.

We want to solidify a go-to guy for two reasons:

1. Lead Security (Securing leads was a big problem for us last season, we need a guy that can efficiently score and keep the distance between our opposition.) and

2. Confidence (Whenever a team has the absolute trust in a teammate to get it done when called upon, it helps the team concentrate and instills confidence.).

In short:

- We don't necessarily need a "go-to" guy, but it would be a HUGE benefit.

- We need an athletic, seasoned swingman that can slash to the basket. Rudy Gay would have been nice, but I would rather sign Olowakandi than pay him what he was offered.

BMP i guess in a way i see what you are saying but it's hard for me to believe that Shard at the 4 is not a problem....Time after time when he can't get it going which was more often than not you would think that he would try to do other things like Rebound but he just camped at the 3pt line....

My thing is if he can't get it going offensively he should focus on defense and rebounding instead of doing nothing....against boston defense wasn't the problem we just couldn't score and shard was a part of that problem just as much as the wings but the sad thing is some of his failure wasn't all his fault

quote:

BMP i guess in a way i see what you are saying but it's hard for me to believe that Shard at the 4 is not a problem....Time after time when he can't get it going which was more often than not you would think that he would try to do other things like Rebound but he just camped at the 3pt line....

My thing is if he can't get it going offensively he should focus on defense and rebounding instead of doing nothing....against boston defense wasn't the problem we just couldn't score and shard was a part of that problem just as much as the wings but the sad thing is some of his failure wasn't all his fault

You do realize that when Shard wasn't scoring against Boston, he WAS playing defense. In fact, Kevin Garnett had the worse numbers of the entire 2010 post-season while being matched up against the Magic (mostly Lewis).

It wasn't anywhere near "just as much as the wings" because while Lewis didn't get it going offensively, he negated his match up.

Pierce, on the other hand, averaged 24.3 ppg on 51% shooting, 45% from 3, 8.3 rebounds and 3.8 assists (best numbers of the post season)

Ray Allen averaged 15.7 ppg on 43.7% shooting and 42% from 3 (second best, he had better numbers against Miami).

Carter and Barnes, however, could not match that production. Not even one tiny bit. The discrepancy is MUCH bigger and it's quite obvious those two positions were where the team hurt the most.

quote:
Originally posted by Optimus Prime:

wow the only pg we have to worry about is Rondo in the east???? *** what about Rose? Gilbert when he comes back or Wall, D Harris??? Hmmm there's a few buddy!

I did not forget about those guys. The way they are constructed right now the Bulls, Nyets and Wiz do not have a chance aginst us. Those players with the exception of Harris are that teams go to guys. Wall is a rookie. Gilbert hasn't been good since 2006? Rose is the only guy the Bulls we have to worry about at the moment. Rondo has players around him that he can lean on throughout a game unlike Rose.

As far as Steve Nash replacing Meer, I never said to get rid of Meer. I would assume we keep Meer and have the 36 year old Nash back him up. I do not think Nash would be opposed to playing less minutes in the reg season with a chance on winning a ring.

quote:
Originally posted by ButterMilkPancakes:

quote:
Originally posted by Chase:

I don't get why everyone want's to fix a part of our team thats not broken? What's wrong with Meer? I say push for the Boozer trade and use gortat/bass/jj/and vc as tradeing chips for that.

The PF position has been broken?? Since when?

The PF position has been broken ever since we've realized that spot has no ability to rebound and doesn't have the toughness to compete and bang with opposing PF's around the basket.