Sign in to follow this  
Soul Bro

The Hometown Kid: Dominique Jones

quote:
Originally posted by KillingInTheNameOf:

Never seen him play.

SoulBro, what position do you see him playing at the next level?

PG. He plays a lot like Stuckey. He led the Big East in scoring this year and I believe was the only player in D1 to average 21, 6 and 3. He is a very strong 6'5'' ... 215 pounds of muscle. If he develops a long ball, he could develop into a Billups-type. Good floor leader and wants the ball at crunch time. I really hope he doesn't end up in Miami.

quote:
Originally posted by Soul Bro:

quote:

Never seen him play.

PG. He plays a lot like Stuckey. He led the Big East in scoring this year and I believe was the only player in D1 to average 21, 6 and 3. He is a very strong 6'5'' ... 215 pounds of muscle. If he develops a long ball, he could develop into a Billups-type. Good floor leader and wants the ball at crunch time. I really hope he doesn't end up in Miami.

SB, are you aware your boy is refusing to workout for Orlando?

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Soul Bro:

quote:

Never seen him play.

SB, are you aware your boy is refusing to workout for Orlando?

I haven't asked him about Orlando, believe it or not. I will. He told me he's even had some interest inside the top 10. Who knows? I know he has 18 workouts.

quote:
Originally posted by Miller4Prez64:

Rotoworld had a mock draft with him being available at 29, but they had the Magic taking Terrico White instead.

The mocks haven't been updated to show Chicago's interest in him at 17.

quote:
Need instant impact? Draft a UK Wildcat by David Thorpe

6. Dominique Jones

The draft seems to always produce guys outside of the top 20 candidates who end up as top-tier rookies. Anthony Morrow, Marcus Thornton, Wesley Matthews, Chase Budinger and many more are among them. Jones is my top guy for this category, as he has the requisite scoring talent and crazy confidence to pound his way into a team's rotation. I'm a little worried about his shooting from 3, but I think he'll get more open looks than he got at USF and he'll still be a very effective driver. The lane opens up in the NBA far more than it does in college, and he'll use his excellent length to hurt people in the paint.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba...nba_draft&id=5267882

SB, I see your boy worked out for GS & SAC. I don't know what they're telling his representation, but it sure seems like they'd be looking at him more in the 2nd.

If you have his ear, you might want to provide the case study of CDR.

quote:
Five potential sleepers in the draft by By Jonathan Givony

Dominique Jones, SG, Jr. South Florida

Measuring 6-5 in shoes with a 6-9 wingspan and sturdy 216-pound frame, Jones is one of the more physically impressive guards in the draft. The aggressive combo guard also is one of the best at creating his own shot and, among all prospects, ranks in the top 10 in scoring (21.4 last season) and top five in free-throw attempts (8.5).

A capable playmaker, Jones wasn't always able to show off his passing skills while playing with less accomplished teammates, but he appears to have the vision and smarts needed to run a team effectively in spurts.

Jones, however, likely isn't generating more hype because he played for a bad team -- South Florida won a combined 21 games his first two years before improving to 20-13 last season -- that relied too heavily on him to keep defenses honest. In addition, he shot only 31 percent from the shorter college three-point line in each of the last two seasons.

Jones' stock seems to be rising -- he's a potential late first-round pick -- but he still might end up being undervalued on draft night. Plenty of teams could use a Shannon Brown-type combo guard off the bench for special assignments, and Jones certainly fits the bill.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.c...dates/#ixzz0qf73aG7W

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.c....sleeper.candidates/

Below is from Chad Ford's latest mock draft:

quote:
Pick: 25

Team: Memphis

(via Denver)

Player: Dominique Jones

Position: SG

Height: 6-5

Weight: 216

School: South Florida

(Jones' previous position: NR)

Analysis: Jones was one of the best scorers in college basketball last season, but that's not why the Grizzlies will be in the hunt for him. A number of teams, including Memphis, believe he could also play the point. With the Grizzlies still less than confident in Mike Conley, that's the appeal.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba...age=MockDraft-100616

Dominique thinks he could go in the teens, as teams like Miami are high on him. He also doesn't believe he'll be around when the Magic pick.