Sign in to follow this  
jbabc37

Magic ''Anticipate'' Keeping Carter...

I tell you what, if Otis has any intention of bringing Courtney Lee back, he'd better lock JJ up first!

Well, I suppose JJ is restricted, so it wouldn't matter. Still...I have to wonder what JJ would think of backing up Courtney Lee again. He's handled everything else so well, I can't imagine him not handling this well.

But yeah...C Lee back in Orlando! Talk about a move that really needs to happen before his rookie contract is up!

quote:
Originally posted by Live or Die Magic:

I tell you what, if Otis has any intention of bringing Courtney Lee back, he'd better lock JJ up first!

Well, I suppose JJ is restricted, so it wouldn't matter. Still...I have to wonder what JJ would think of backing up Courtney Lee again. He's handled everything else so well, I can't imagine him not handling this well.

But yeah...C Lee back in Orlando! Talk about a move that really needs to happen before his rookie contract is up!

Um...I would think the roles would change and have Courtney Lee come off the bench.

What? No good?

Maybe make CLee into our SF? Look if the guy wants to play center let him, as long as JJ and CLee are back with us, I don't care what position either play.

quote:
Originally posted by dreamingincolors:

I can't believe we had a talented young prospect SG and we let him go.

Interestingly enough we also have another talented young backup SG and I hope we don't make the same mistake twice.

Why can't we bring Courtney Lee back?

Courtney was a solid, young player, but nothing more. Some people here value our players as if they're the second coming of players they could never dream of becoming.

When you have the opportunity to trade less-than-critical player for an established 20/5/5 allstar, you do it, and you don't think twice about it. In retrospect, it didn't work out with us to the extent that we wish it could have, but you'd have to be foolish to believe that it was a bad move back in July.

quote:

quote:

Um...I would think the roles would change and have Courtney Lee come off the bench.

What? No good?

Maybe make CLee into our SF? Look if the guy wants to play center let him, as long as JJ and CLee are back with us, I don't care what position either play.

I think that in the absence of a clear-cut starting SG (Vince at the moment), Stan would prefer to have JJ as his 6th man.

quote:
Originally posted by ThisIsTheYear:

Courtney was a solid, young player, but nothing more. Some people here value our players as if they're the second coming of players they could never dream of becoming.

Courtney was special to us because he represented us actually doing something productive with a late-1st round pick. Something we hadn't done since 2004. After wasting the 2005 and 2007 drafts on Euro-trash, it was nice to get a surprise in 2008. Also, you have to remember, at the time Lee was blossoming, we figured our 2006 pick was pretty much a waste as well. We now know for certain that this wasn't the case.

But he was a good young player and he looked all the better playing alongside Dwight Howard.

quote:

quote:

Interestingly enough we also have another talented young backup SG and I hope we don't make the same mistake twice.

When you have the opportunity to trade less-than-critical player for an established 20/5/5 allstar, you do it, and you don't think twice about it. In retrospect, it didn't work out with us to the extent that we wish it could have, but you'd have to be foolish to believe that it was a bad move back in July.

We didn't trade Dwight or JJ in their first year even though they were solid, young players and look what they developed into. They get better every year and I truly think C Lee, if on his team would be extremely motivated to get better every year knowing that this development can help win a championship.

And yes, you do think about who you are giving up and who you think you are getting in a trade. I don't care about the Vince Carter deal, but I don't understand why in the world we gave up C Lee for Ryan Anderson. If it had to be packaged that way, I would have left that alone and go after someone else.

quote:

quote:

Absolutely. The Magic lost to a very talented team so now every move made was a mistake.

I liked Courtney, but please let's not get carried away here.

When Otis decided to pass on Hedo, he felt he needed to make a deal for the best closer available for a trade and did well in bringing Vince.

He wasn't going to get anyone better and the storyline made sense. A veteran former superstar with a chance to redeem a poor playoff career going back to his home area. He knew Courtney wasn't going to be the closer and nothing he did in New Jersey proved otherwise.

So Vince stunk it up in the playoffs. I still give Otis credit for not doing the easy thing which would have been to keep the team together and give Hedo what he wanted.

quote:

I don't care about the Vince Carter deal, but I don't understand why in the world we gave up C Lee for Ryan Anderson. If it had to be packaged that way, I would have left that alone and go after someone else.

They are the same deal. As I understand the Nets wanted Courtney for Carter, Otis wanted to give JJ instead, the Nets insisted on Courtney and Otis agreed but asked for Anderson.

quote:

quote:

Courtney was special to us because he represented us actually doing something productive with a late-1st round pick. Something we hadn't done since 2004. After wasting the 2005 and 2007 drafts on Euro-trash, it was nice to get a surprise in 2008. Also, you have to remember, at the time Lee was blossoming, we figured our 2006 pick was pretty much a waste as well. We now know for certain that this wasn't the case.

But he was a good young player and he looked all the better playing alongside Dwight Howard.

I know '05 was Fran, but who did we take in '07? Isn't that the year we didn't have a 1st rounder, and then traded the player we picked in the 2nd?