Sign in to follow this  
VinceCarter4life

Lewis at the 3 poll

It seems like a lot of people on here are still debating this.

From what I saw this ECF, watching Shard score with ease, and confidence while posting up Paul PIerce was probably the most comfortable scoring I saw out of the entire team all series long.

I cant help but believe that Rashard should be moved to the 3, he has been slow ALL year long, and a non factor all playoffs..

all until he got going in the last couple games. He looked like a whole nother player out there and actually looked comfortable. Not to mention Bass was probably the most energetic player (not to say start him at 4 or keep him). Just I think our team is more effective with Shard at the 3.

While he may get burned defensively speaking of just Paul Pierce for example, in what way would Pierce have hurt Lewis? Pierce is a slug, the only way he scored was off of step back pull up jumpers, in which the reason he scored was because Barnes/Vince/whomever were just not long enough to get an effecitve hand to stop Pierce.

While Lewis would provide length in that area, but in all means if Lebron stays with the Cavs, if we matchup with them Id say Lewis at 4. Even though we'd play a contain lebron defense.

Thoughts?

It seems like a lot of people on here are still debating this.

From what I saw this ECF, watching Shard score with ease, and confidence while posting up Paul PIerce was probably the most comfortable scoring I saw out of the entire team all series long.

I cant help but believe that Rashard should be moved to the 3, he has been slow ALL year long, and a non factor all playoffs..

all until he got going in the last couple games. He looked like a whole nother player out there and actually looked comfortable. Not to mention Bass was probably the most energetic player (not to say start him at 4 or keep him). Just I think our team is more effective with Shard at the 3.

While he may get burned defensively speaking of just Paul Pierce for example, in what way would Pierce have hurt Lewis? Pierce is a slug, the only way he scored was off of step back pull up jumpers, in which the reason he scored was because Barnes/Vince/whomever were just not long enough to get an effecitve hand to stop Pierce.

While Lewis would provide length in that area, but in all means if Lebron stays with the Cavs, if we matchup with them Id say Lewis at 4. Even though we'd play a contain lebron defense.

Thoughts?

Although according to some members here he can no longer play the SF position. The same posters who like to insult educated members by saying we gather our BB knowledge from "Talking Heads" on TV. The TRUTH is that Rashard Lewis is a natural SF who plays out of position as a PF.

It's hilarious to watch the same posters who claimed for 2 years Hedo had to be moved so Lewis could assume his role now claiming he can't play SF.

They are wrong on both counts. Lewis shouldn't be moved perm to SF, but the option of playing him there should be used more, was begging to be excercised vs. Boston.

When playing older, slower SF like Pierce, I'm fine with it, but he's going to ge beat by the quicker ones.

I'm not completely opposed to it but the question is, who are we going to play at the four? Unless we're placing a stud at that spot. I'll take Barnes at the 3 and Lewis at the 4.

You don't pay a guy the max to play out of position. He is a proven wing scorer at SF and Dwight has his back on defense. His length drives wing shooters crazy.

No matter how you look at it Shard would dominate offensively against ALL sf's in the league simply because of his length, post skills and great shot.

People argue that he would get eaten alive on the defensive end. Paul Pierce was very bothered whenever Lewis was on him and Barnes was toast all series long. I agree that Lewis isn't a great defender but his length and smarts make up for a lot of his athletic deficiencies. When you have a guy that makes the person who is guarding him work his butt off on the defensive side of the ball that player will more than likely have a hard time getting into any sort of rhythm offensively.

Everyone needs to remember that Shard IS a small forward and we need a weapon at that position to keep the opposing teams defenses honest.

How often did Pierce get to the rim? almost all his shots were like a 40 year old at the athletic club taking flat foot jump shots.

And he get them off just because Barnes was not long enough while Shard is.

Only person who might cause troubles is Lebron. But then again Lebron gets by Pietrus/Barnes anyways.

It depends on the matchups, in my opinion.

Against teams like Boston and LA, who can guard Dwight one-on-one, we need to move him to the SF and allow a muscle head like Bass to assume the PF position. It's all about match-ups.

Against all other teams, we should keep him at the PF. The system worked for the most part.

I normally stick up for Van Gundy, but this is one of the things that pissed me off about his coaching during the Boston series. He didn't consistently use what worked. He kept being stubborn about using a finesse 4 against Boston and it brought us nothing but an ECF loss.

quote:
Originally posted by LeBrickJames:

It depends on the matchups, in my opinion.

Against teams like Boston and LA, who can guard Dwight one-on-one, we need to move him to the SF and allow a muscle head like Bass to assume the PF position. It's all about match-ups.

Against all other teams, we should keep him at the PF. The system worked for the most part.

I normally stick up for Van Gundy, but this is one of the things that pissed me off about his coaching during the Boston series. He didn't consistently use what worked. He kept being stubborn about using a finesse 4 against Boston and it brought us nothing but an ECF loss.

Agree with you on this.

Lewis should only play SF when the opponents PF is bigger and stronger than him.