Sign in to follow this  
iTs JUST zo

Keep Stan?

Why would you fire him when he got to the finals last year with less??? He didn't trade for VC did he??? Otis should be on the hot seat not Stan. Stan is a VERY good coach and if they fired him you could say bye bye to finals hopes.

quote:
Originally posted by bravlady:

I did not get emotional until I watched Stan's post-game interview. I truly believe he is sincere in his belief that this team can do great things. His own personal assessment of the season and his ability to assess himself as a coach is a true testament to the good coach that he is. No doubt, he stays!

I was moved by that interview. I have to admire his guts and determination. At least he can win without cheap tricks, ie faking injuries, dirty playing. I hope SVG will stay with the Magic and not bolt to a big market team.

quote:
Originally posted by UBBALLER8:

Who are the morons that said no?

I am not sure that many said that he should be fired, but that he would be fired. There is a big difference.

quote:
Originally posted by Debonair:

i love how not one single person in this thread is able to give any reason as to why stan is a good coach.

I think some of you in here are bit delusional and aren't very mature. telling people to die? crying about others opinions and saying you're gonna put them on ignore? wow. just wow.

also....after seeing how Shard came alive in game 5 with pierce guarding him at the 4 one would think a light switch would've went off in stan's head and he would moved 'shard to the 3. pierce would've struggled and shard would've came through. let bass and gortat rotate at the 4 (maybe anderson if gortat had to go in for howard at the 5). sheed was a no show last night because of his back so that more than likely would have worked.

but would've, should've, could've.....too late now

OK JSicamore or ElMayi or whoever you are. The reason no one will waste their time arguing with you is that you only come up when the team loses.

Stan's got one of the top 6 winning percentages in the history of the NBA for coaches who have coached 400 games or more.

He took a team with no power forward and pretty much popularized the stretch four so many teams look to now. He's dealt with 5 new players and losing the guy he always counted on to distribute and still won 59 games and took the tem to the ECF before he lost.

Yes he lost, that's why you're here.

But get this straight, Stan is the coach and will be the coach regardless of what you say. Hardly anyone on this board agrees with you. you can't find hardly anyone related to the NBA that will agree with you.

I don't know, maybe you're the one thats wrong and knows little.

just sayin'

quote:

i love how not one single person in this thread is able to give any reason as to why stan is a good coach.

1. Great at motivating guys. Kept our team mentally in the series after going down 3-0

2. Coached us to a level of success never before seen in this franchise. We've never finished first in our division 3 consecutive times (we have every year under stan). We've never had a better three year stretch during the regular season (averaged 55.6 wins first three years under brian hill; 56.6 first three years under stan). The 3 year playoff run is the best we've ever had. lost in second round, lost in finals, lost in ECF.

3. Ability to take blame and shift it away from the players.

Stan is a great coach, however where is the ring? this is all about the ring, Iam just been realistic.. last night was not the time to make faces from the side lines, last night was about making the right substitutions, it is un fair I know, it is unfair that his future can be meassured in one game instead the entired season, this is the reality of the NBA. I hope he stays but I wont miss him if he gets replaced.

you'll miss him when we bring in an inferior coach who will do less with this team.

Jackson

Riley

Popovich

Brown

Rivers

Those are your ring winners over the last 15 years. Four of them are some of the greatest coaches of all time. Doc is Doc. Why the coaching carousel if you're not getting one of those top 4 guys?

People are asking what makes Stan a good coach; the question should be what makes him bad.

he put in Bass. he's tried pretty much everybody but Foyle. He made us win 2 games in a row being down 3-0, and our success has been best with him; even better than the Shaq days.

Don't understand.

quote:
Originally posted by Lewis4thewin:

quote:

1. Great at motivating guys. Kept our team mentally in the series after going down 3-0

2. Coached us to a level of success never before seen in this franchise. We've never finished first in our division 3 consecutive times (we have every year under stan). We've never had a better three year stretch during the regular season (averaged 55.6 wins first three years under brian hill; 56.6 first three years under stan). The 3 year playoff run is the best we've ever had. lost in second round, lost in finals, lost in ECF.

3. Ability to take blame and shift it away from the players.

This.

4 - He looks like Mario Bros and Ron Jeremy.

My frustration w/SVG centers around 4 issues that have gone unresolved for 3 entire seasons under his leadership...

1. Get Dwight the ball! This message should be painted on the walls of RDV. It should be ingrained in every player on the rosters brain the first day of training camp.

It's utterly rediculous that it took 3 seasons and a humiliating 0-3 start in the ECF's for this message to be sent. When Stan spends every regular season telling Dwight to remain patient when he's not getting the ball & focus on doing other things...he's fostering stupid & selfish b-ball by his team.

You got a big man who runs the floor hard, battles for position at the nail, runs all over the floor setting picks, & covers for everybody defensively...it should drive a coach crazy to watch that effort go unrewarded by a collective of chuckers.

2. Push the **** ball! The Magic play small ball with the most athletic center in the NBA. It defies logic that they have consistently ranked near the bottom of the league in fast break points under SVG. They execute fast breaks as bad as any team in the league. I've never seen a team come up empty on so many 2-1/3-2 fast breaks in my life. It should embarass a coach.

It's no secret, the Magic are at their best when they play uptempo. How SVG accepts his pg's consistently walking the ball up the floor for 3 seasons is mind numbing. Again, it shouldn't require going down 0-3 in the ECF's before the message gets sent, and that's probably why the focus on it existed for 1.5 of the 3 remaining games.

3. More offensive & defensive versatility. Stan has made virtually zero adjustments the past 3 seasons. Every improvement this team has made is soley due to personnel upgrades.

Made defensive improvements in years 2 & 3 due to adding players like Barnes, Pietrus, & Lee. Gortat assuming Foyle's role @ C. Made improvements on the boards in year 3 due to Barnes @ SF & to a lesser extend RA & Bass @ PF.

No expansion of the playbook, no diversifying the playbook, no commitment to developing a conventional look to matchup with the teams responsible for bouncing Orlando from the playoffs every season under Stan.

Who shoots off screens better than JJ in the entire NBA? Ray Allen, Rip Hamilton, & Kyle Korver? Who's your most efficient post player on the block?

Playoff basketball is all about matchups and picking at mismatches like a scab. Boston did it against Orlando, Orlando allowed the biggest mismatch it had available on the floor to go virtually unexploited.

4. Shot Selection. How many 82 game regular season will we hear Stan excuse poor shot selection with, "that's who we are", only to watch it rear it's ugly head in the playoffs? Bad habits don't correct themselves under pressure.

For a coach who is so demanding, critical & such a micromanager...The persistence of item's 1, 2, & 4 are beyond perplexing.

For a team that began the season with the goal of winning a title, how does a coach accept false successes that have zero chance of translating to the playoffs?

I can't think of any other word but mismanagement to characterize waiting to attempt to address these long standing issues until the ECF and in most cases game 4 of the ECF.

I don't think Stan should be fired. But, he absolutely has to embrace some change next season. A 4th season of status quo should not be tolerated by Otiz imo.