Sign in to follow this  
Nell2ThaIzzay

Thank you, Orlando, for what may have been the best night of my life as a sports fan

I'm not gonna get into my whole story of my Orlando Magic fandom, it's in the "RIP AMWAY ARENA" thread. But I will say this.

I made the trip down today. The minute I saw the first "Florida Turnpike, TO ORLANDO" sign on the freeway, I got giddy. That only grew as my first sight as I crossed into Orlando city limits was Vince Carter hanging down off the roof of one of the building's skyscrapers. I saw the construction of the new arena from the freeway.

After checking into the hotel, I went straight to the O-Rena to get to will call, and some photo ops. Many, many photo ops. Spent some time getting lost in Orlando, as well as seeing some sights. Finally found my way around, found the "Matt Barnes Will Kill You" statue of Liberty, took a picture, then headed downtown on Orange to find a good spot to find some food.

Maybe it's because being in San Jose, I never partied for 49ers and Giants games in San Francisco, I dunno, but I've never seen a city do it up for a team quite like Orlando did for Orlando. Seeing Orlando Magic logos in every restaurant window, and the entire Wall St. blocked off for Orlando Magic viewing is just a bit more than I've seen other cities do. Not that other towns don't have team spirit, but Orlando impressed me.

Walking into the O-Rena was absolutely overwhelming. The entire game, the atmosphere and environment, everything was absolutely overwhelming. It was such a great feeling. Then came the cheerleaders.

I don't know if the Orlando Magic organization themselves are responsible, or just some PR department heads that work at the arena, but the cheerleaders came up to my section looking for me. I was kinda confused, until they revealed that they read my post that I made in the "RIP Amway Arena" thread about my story as a Magic fan, and the trip down that I made, and had gifts of appreciation for me coming down. That took me to another level, that somewhere, someone within the organization saw my story and appreciated it. I just couldn't believe it.

I wish I could have enjoyed the after party on Wall Street a bit more, but after the drive, spending so much time walking around downtown Orlando, and the absolute energy of the game, I was totally beat.

But I want to say thank you to the city of Orlando for the wonderful experience, the girls down on Wall St. that took care of me for the short time I was there. The Magic players for giving me an absolute treat for my first and only trip to the O-Rena, and to the Orlando Magic organization (whoever it is that was behind it) for absolutely making the trip something I will never forget.

100%, absolutely, positively worth the 17 year wait. 100% absolutely positively worth the money I spent - money that I probably shouldn't have cuz now I'm broke, lol.

Cheesy post, I know, but this really might have been the best night of my life as a sports fan. Not just a Magic fan, but a sports fan.

quote:
Originally posted by Ramsde68:

Props to a true fan. Go ahead and post those pictures up on here man. Oh and one of the MODS, HOF this thread here and now.

+1

Glad you enjoyed your trip... But don't thank them yet.

You can thank them if we kick Boston's *** two more games. I'd prefer the thanking to come then too.

I will post pictures, probably sometime tomorrow or Friday when I get home, and can get them off my phone.

And don't get me wrong, I obviously want Orlando to win this series, pull off the miracle - winning this series and making history will have made this trip even more special. But even if they lose (knock on wood), nothing can taint what I just experienced.

What im thinking right now is:

"How much would a 2 or 3 day trip over to Orlando cost me if there is a game 7"

not like it's realistic; game tickets/plane retour/hotel/food; might get a bit too pricy.

smile_shardhappy.png