Sign in to follow this  
AddiFB

Dwight 4th in MVP

Chris Bosh getting a 5th place vote was the biggest "what the hell?" moment for me, I mean he played great and all, but Toronto didn't even make the playoffs! Derrick freggin' Rose would be a better MVP candidate than Bosh.

LBJ getting 2 third place votes!? Also ridiculous. To me Dwight was 2nd for MVP, and no worse than 3rd.. the only reason he was 4th, clearly, is because Kobe got "lifetime achievement award" 2nd and 3rd place votes.

Whatever, at least Dwight is finally recognized as being one of the top five most important players to his team in the league. Now maybe someday everyone in the media will realize the truth.

When it comes to team importance, there's LeBron.. there's Dwight.. and then there's everyone else.

quote:
Originally posted by ThuglifeJ:

Who the hell voted for Stephen Jackson and Joe Johnson.....the names should be publicized.

probably the same 2 people who didnt put Dwight on the ballot for DPOY. As SVG put it - idiots.

I think only the top 8 on that list should even be considered. The other inclusions are a bit random and certainly not serious MVP candidates.

For me, the list should go:

1 - LBJ - for any number of reasons, but ultimately for leading a relatively average team to comfortably the best record in the east.

2 - Durant - mainly for scoring so many points and for leading OKC to a massive turnaround from last season.

3 - Howard - his defensive presence alone earns him a place here, and because his presence on the offensive side earns the members of his team alot of easy shots due to double teams.

4 - Nash - because he's probably the main reason phoenix have got such a good record this year. His numbers, percentage wise and in pure terms are very good. (and on a team which has only one other good player.

5 - Kobe - for his game winning shots that has rescued the team on many occasions. He isn't near the top for me either because I think other members of the team could make a final play too.

Players that miss out:

Wade - because he hasn't really set the league alight the same way he did last year and although the team has a similar record/position, other players on other teams have stepped up.

Dirk - for reasons similar to why Lebron runs away with it. He didn't take the team to a different level, without the addition of more players. This was obvious by the improvement since those trades.

Carmelo - simply because there are many other good players on that team and Denver should be doing way better. Plus, they are more of a team than relying on one player.

It's hard to argue that Howard deserved to be voted over Durant. KD averaged 30 points, 8 REBS and 3 AST a game. Throw in 48% from the floor for a high volume scorer and he certainly should have been in the top 3.

The argument might fall with Kobe and Howard but again, that's a tough call. Kobe played injured all year and still managed to post 27, 5 and 5. I believe he and LeBron were the only two NBA players to go for 25, 5 and 5 this season. I would personally side with Howard on that but it's honestly an argument that could go either way.

Howard had a great year but it just wasn't MVP great. Not in the LBJ or KD sense. Kobe and Howard is probably a toss up as I could see arguments for either but he was certainly a top 4 lock. For someone to not vote him in their top 4, let alone their top 5, is idiotic. He certainly deserved to be a unanimous top 5 selection but 2-4 is interchangeable in terms of who did or didn't deserve it.

With all that said, the fact that 2 Orlando Magic employees (and throw in a Sentinal sports writer) voted Howard #1 is a travesty. Even more so when you see that those guys put LeBron 3rd. Not because Howard is a bad player, he's great, he just did not deserve to be voted #1 THIS season. Will he win an MVP? Absolutely he will. If he doesn't, I'll be shocked. But that doesn't justify going with "your guy".

LeBron had one of the greatest individual statistical seasons of all time: 30 points, 9 assists, 7 Rebounds. His PER of 31.19 was the highest of anyone not named Michael Jordan and was just the second time in NBA history that a player had back to back 30+ PER seasons.

He broke the NBA record for highest APG average by a forward with 8.6, shattering the old record of 7.6 set by Larry Bird in 1987.

In just 76 games played, he became only the 3rd player in NBA history to have 2250 points, 650 Assists and 550 Rebounds in a season (Michael Jordan (once) and Oscar Robertson (five times) were the others).

He piloted the leagues best team, a team that many of you think would be one of the worst in the NBA without him. So, isn't that the definition of an MVP?

That's my problem with the MVP vote, idiots like the guys who put LBJ 3rd should not be voting. Is it an opinion? Sure but why on earth would anyone vote for Stephen Jackson as the MVP?! Or put a guy who had one of the most dominant statistical seasons in NBA history 3rd? It defies common sense.

Again, this isn't meant to be a post that bashes Howard, he's an incredible talent but you just can't justify having him #1. In other years, absolutely. THIS year, when you look at what LeBron did, it just seems like sour grapes.

Howard will surely get his MVP and if he does it as impressively as LeBron did this year and some idiots from Cleveland vote him #3 you'll know how I feel.