Sign in to follow this  
SmackDaddy

Official referee venting thread.

Lets face it every time the Magic take the floor in the Playoffs they have to also beat the refs. They made bad calls both ways but way more against the Magic. These calls generated momentum swings for the Flopping C's and then to top it off we played scared, couldnt make shots, and committed stupid turnovers. The officiating is really what makes me sick, because it never improved in this series. Kevin Garnett not getting a T was ridiculous. I would have thrown him out of the game if there was a way to.

I agree w/Aquarium61--things get called so that specific teams can win. My husband who isn't even a basketball fan kept remarking about the complete disparity of the calls during the Celtics/Magic series. His theory: it all goes back to League involvement in organized crime gambling. Big money is involved & the deck gets stacked accordingly.

Who knows? Maybe he's right. Either way, I was horribly disappointed in how we played last night. In games 4 & 5 we played like we've *been* playing all season--in games 1-3 & 6, we played in a random ineffective way that made me feel like I was watching facsimile players--poor copies of the real team. UGH.

quote:
Originally posted by KillingInTheNameOf:

More aggressive team received the benefit of the whistle in every single Magic playoff game. End of Story

I'll spit out that pacifier. It'll help everyone cool down but that's not always the case. For one thing, aggressiveness can be stemmed by 1 bad call. That being said the referees, for as long as I can remember, have been extremely impressionable and benefits of the whistle really have more to do with who's playing to them. So we can hate when Pierce flops and lays on the floor. Or when Big Baby takes his flops. Or when Rondo hits the floor with a thud. Or when Garnett does his sneaky stuff. It has purpose. These are tactics that not only gain possessions because the refs aren't consistent enough for them to stop ..... but they also lead to calling the game tighter which will only lead to more flops and acting. Like it or not, this is the element that the Magic need or they'll continue to be outsmarted by teams playing the refs as a 6th man. Before the game 1 loss, who was the last team the Magic lost to? Tell me how that went (re: refs).

The Celtics brought tons of energy last night and I have to credit them for that, but we had energy too and when we tried to make a run or something, the refs swallowed their whistles or blew them for Boston on several occasions. The blatant goal tend is a great example because that should have been two points for us but then the crowd gets amped up and they go down and hit a three or something.

I'm not one to complain about the refs too much, but it's hard to make a comeback or cut into a lead when the refs are making terrible calls that just fuel the crowd and cause the Celtics to go back up by even more.

Lastly, anyone who wants to criticize Vince, yeah he took a lot of quick jump shots and what not this series, but just about as many times he went to the hole and got goaltended or got his wrist grabbed or got sent to the floor and he never got a call. That just pisses me off that he's getting all this criticism but he got absolutely no love from the refs. If you get fouled on most of your drives and nothing is called, of course your field goal percentage is going to be down. Consistency is all I ask for, but not consistently missing calls.