Sign in to follow this  
Ryan the Magic Fan

Official Game Thread: Magic vs. Kittens Game 1 4/18 5:30p

quote:
Originally posted by Skywise316:

quote:

Last year the Magic would need 6 games to beat this team. This year's team is better and more focused. Magic in 5.

But it won't be easy, and Charlotte will make that clear in Game 1.

Charlotte 85

Orlando 92

POTG: Jameer. Just a gut feelin'.

I like when I'm right, at least about Game One anyway...

Alright, for the playoffs I'm bringing back an extremely simple version of..! (I'm not promising every game, only when I get time. Also I'm not scouring through all the stats like before, this is all based on eyeball tests)

Stock Up:

Jameer Nelson. (See that first half?? Yeah, KITNO's completely right about needing to find the mismatch more often, but other than that he was pretty awesome, even better than I was expecting. I was just thinking 20 points, 5 assists.. he sure did that and more!)

Dwight Howard. (At least two of his five fouls were complete and utter bullcrap, namely the first one and his fourth, so I'm not gonna blame him for being in foul trouble. He compltely pwned the paint, and watching Dwight and Gortat play defense in this game was like watching Peyton Manning for a half and then Ryan Leaf. There was no comparison. I'm not sure if that just highlights how dominant Dwight was, or how lackluster Gortat was. Maybe both. So while Dwight was on the floor, he was Bill Russell special out there. Also can't forget his big putback dunk late in the game, I think it made the game 87-80 Magic. Huge basket.

Best five point playoff performance ever? Yeah, I think so. Only exception to his SU being his free throws... come ON, dude.)

Rashard Lewis. (Yep, I'm thinking he cares more about the playoffs than the end of the season. There were times he still completely fell asleep in the rebounding department, making Gortat/Rashard a little hard to watch on the defensive end, however he shot well from the floor and made a HUGE three down the stretch. That and well, his defense wasn't atrocious. Hey, it's progress!)

Turnovers. (I think they only had 9 for the game, and a big key for this game was they held Charlotte to very low fast break points. Limiting Charlotte's opportunities to run is a underrated, but big key to winning this series for Orlando.)

Mickael "MVPietrus" Pietrus. (11 in the 2nd quarter + that very Pietrus-esque dagger of a three late in the game equals a Stock Up. You would like his perimeter defense (plus EVERYONE'S perimeter D) to be better, but it's certainly hard to complain tonight about what MP brought to the table.)

Stock Down:

Vince Carter. (This has already been pretty well covered in this thread so- ATTACK THE BASKET, VINCE!!! To be fair to him though, he had some seriously ticky tack-as-hell fouls called on him tonight. But that doesn't excuse the offense. Generally speaking, Jameer was good-aggressive. VC was bad-aggressive. Yes indeed, there are good shots and bad shots in basketball, in case anyone doubted that before this game.)

Marcin Gortat. (His defense, rebounding, and overall effort were terrible. I blame mostly him, especially on D, for why the Magic went from up 22 to only 10 in the third quarter. We would of been better off with Bass at center.. who cares if he doesn't usually block shots? It wasn't like Gortat was threatening anyone's shots in this game.. I could rant all day, but I'll just leave it here.)

Jason Williams. (I didn't think he provided much of anything in this game. You know it's pretty bad when Jameer Nelson pushes the pace faster than you.)

That's pretty much it, basically. The team went into 'Hero Syndrome" in the third quarter, gotta keep passing and trusting each other instead of "I got this!" basketball. Barnes, Anderson, & Redick all played just about their normal games IMO, so they're pretty much "Stock In The Middle."

THERE, I did some Stock Up, Stock Down.. sort of.. so leave me alone. smile_jameertongue.png

I was going to ask for this, but I was pretty sure you would have told me to go to hell. I'll take them when they come, the write up is much appreciated.

Now, onto criticisms (there aren't many, but you knew they were coming).

I'd bump Dwight down to stock in the middle. While his blocks were epic and Wilt-like, its hard to get 5 points and 7 rebounds from him and say its above his recent level of play. As far as his foul trouble, while he had some ticky-tack calls, it seemed like he got away with murder in the 1st quarter, so its hard to blame the officials in that area.

Lewis - great game, we really need him. If they are going to keep switching the 1/4 pick and roll as KITNO said, we need to give it to Lewis every time down Game 6 against Philly style.

Jameer was amazing, just gotta look for Lewis when the only person in the NBA shorter than himself is guarding a 6'10 PF with a rock-solid post game.

Gortat - completely agree. Ugh.

Carter - gotta go with a stock down too. Though I wouldn't be as harsh because Vince wasn't getting any calls when he did go to the basket. Still, he's better than he showed tonight and needs to play better.

A huge stock down goes to my life expectancy. These next 6 weeks are going knock 6 years off of my life.

quote:
Originally posted by ButterMilkPancakes:

quote:
Originally posted by MagicAtic:

quote:

quote:

This whole "Bobcats were aggressive driving to the hole" is a bad argument on why they got the benefit of the call. Most of Derrick Rose's shots were in the paint and had only 2 free throws to show for it. Rose scored 28 despite the refs.

Setting the precedent on the way the Magic will be officiated in these playoffs.

Bass is better suited in this series and not Anderson.

How is it a bad argument? You can't get calls when you don't look for contact...

The argument is that the Bobcats got calls because they were aggressive driving to the hole. Now go look at Derrick Rose's shot chart for Game 1 and explain to me how he only got to the line once.

What the hell does this have to do with anything? Different refs, different game, different plays...

You said that since the Bobcats drove to the hole they got the benefit of the call, which implies that any team that does this on any night will get the call so I am asking you why did Rose not get that benefit?

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

This whole "Bobcats were aggressive driving to the hole" is a bad argument on why they got the benefit of the call. Most of Derrick Rose's shots were in the paint and had only 2 free throws to show for it. Rose scored 28 despite the refs.

Setting the precedent on the way the Magic will be officiated in these playoffs.

Bass is better suited in this series and not Anderson.

How is it a bad argument? You can't get calls when you don't look for contact...

The argument is that the Bobcats got calls because they were aggressive driving to the hole. Now go look at Derrick Rose's shot chart for Game 1 and explain to me how he only got to the line once.

What the hell does this have to do with anything? Different refs, different game, different plays...

You said that since the Bobcats drove to the hole they got the benefit of the call, which implies that any team that does this on any night will get the call so I am asking you why did Rose not get that benefit?

The NBA is obviously out to get Rose, man... might as well call the FBI

BMP, I respect what you are trying to do here, but it's futile. We could double Charlotte's free throw attempts, but if Dwight picks up 2 quick fouls at any point in the game most on this board will be convinced that the refs are all reincarnations of Donaghy. However, at the game it definitely appeared that the game was called differently in the first half than it was in the 2nd half. If I have one gripe, it would be that the game should be called consistently from beginning to end, regardless of score.

quote:
However, at the game it definitely appeared that the game was called differently in the first half than it was in the 2nd half. If I have one gripe, it would be that the game should be called consistently from beginning to end, regardless of score.

Well, the teams also played different in the 2nd half. Not so much that Charlotte attacked more, but without Howard, they were able to penetrate easier and it lead to more stupid fouls (since we didn't have Dwight to bail us out). The Magic, on the other hand, hardly even tried to get into the paint in the 2nd half... it's really hard to get a foul call going your way if you don't attack them inside. Carter needs to be that guy... he needs to be the guy to drive into the lane when our shots aren't falling. Instead, he provided even more contested jump shots. Hopefully this won't be the story in the playoffs.

quote:
Originally posted by magicfan83:

quote:

quote:

Last year the Magic would need 6 games to beat this team. This year's team is better and more focused. Magic in 5.

But it won't be easy, and Charlotte will make that clear in Game 1.

Charlotte 85

Orlando 92

POTG: Jameer. Just a gut feelin'.

I like when I'm right, at least about Game One anyway...

Alright, for the playoffs I'm bringing back an extremely simple version of..! (I'm not promising every game, only when I get time. Also I'm not scouring through all the stats like before, this is all based on eyeball tests)

Stock Up:

Jameer Nelson. (See that first half?? Yeah, KITNO's completely right about needing to find the mismatch more often, but other than that he was pretty awesome, even better than I was expecting. I was just thinking 20 points, 5 assists.. he sure did that and more!)

Dwight Howard. (At least two of his five fouls were complete and utter bullcrap, namely the first one and his fourth, so I'm not gonna blame him for being in foul trouble. He compltely pwned the paint, and watching Dwight and Gortat play defense in this game was like watching Peyton Manning for a half and then Ryan Leaf. There was no comparison. I'm not sure if that just highlights how dominant Dwight was, or how lackluster Gortat was. Maybe both. So while Dwight was on the floor, he was Bill Russell special out there. Also can't forget his big putback dunk late in the game, I think it made the game 87-80 Magic. Huge basket.

Best five point playoff performance ever? Yeah, I think so. Only exception to his SU being his free throws... come ON, dude.)

Rashard Lewis. (Yep, I'm thinking he cares more about the playoffs than the end of the season. There were times he still completely fell asleep in the rebounding department, making Gortat/Rashard a little hard to watch on the defensive end, however he shot well from the floor and made a HUGE three down the stretch. That and well, his defense wasn't atrocious. Hey, it's progress!)

Turnovers. (I think they only had 9 for the game, and a big key for this game was they held Charlotte to very low fast break points. Limiting Charlotte's opportunities to run is a underrated, but big key to winning this series for Orlando.)

Mickael "MVPietrus" Pietrus. (11 in the 2nd quarter + that very Pietrus-esque dagger of a three late in the game equals a Stock Up. You would like his perimeter defense (plus EVERYONE'S perimeter D) to be better, but it's certainly hard to complain tonight about what MP brought to the table.)

Stock Down:

Vince Carter. (This has already been pretty well covered in this thread so- ATTACK THE BASKET, VINCE!!! To be fair to him though, he had some seriously ticky tack-as-hell fouls called on him tonight. But that doesn't excuse the offense. Generally speaking, Jameer was good-aggressive. VC was bad-aggressive. Yes indeed, there are good shots and bad shots in basketball, in case anyone doubted that before this game.)

Marcin Gortat. (His defense, rebounding, and overall effort were terrible. I blame mostly him, especially on D, for why the Magic went from up 22 to only 10 in the third quarter. We would of been better off with Bass at center.. who cares if he doesn't usually block shots? It wasn't like Gortat was threatening anyone's shots in this game.. I could rant all day, but I'll just leave it here.)

Jason Williams. (I didn't think he provided much of anything in this game. You know it's pretty bad when Jameer Nelson pushes the pace faster than you.)

That's pretty much it, basically. The team went into 'Hero Syndrome" in the third quarter, gotta keep passing and trusting each other instead of "I got this!" basketball. Barnes, Anderson, & Redick all played just about their normal games IMO, so they're pretty much "Stock In The Middle."

THERE, I did some Stock Up, Stock Down.. sort of.. so leave me alone. smile_jameertongue.png

I was going to ask for this, but I was pretty sure you would have told me to go to hell. I'll take them when they come, the write up is much appreciated.

Now, onto criticisms (there aren't many, but you knew they were coming).

I'd bump Dwight down to stock in the middle. While his blocks were epic and Wilt-like, its hard to get 5 points and 7 rebounds from him and say its above his recent level of play. As far as his foul trouble, while he had some ticky-tack calls, it seemed like he got away with murder in the 1st quarter, so its hard to blame the officials in that area.

Lewis - great game, we really need him. If they are going to keep switching the 1/4 pick and roll as KITNO said, we need to give it to Lewis every time down Game 6 against Philly style.

Jameer was amazing, just gotta look for Lewis when the only person in the NBA shorter than himself is guarding a 6'10 PF with a rock-solid post game.

Gortat - completely agree. Ugh.

Carter - gotta go with a stock down too. Though I wouldn't be as harsh because Vince wasn't getting any calls when he did go to the basket. Still, he's better than he showed tonight and needs to play better.

A huge stock down goes to my life expectancy. These next 6 weeks are going knock 6 years off of my life.

A huge stock down goes to my life expectancy. These next 6 weeks are going knock 6 years off of my life.<

lol... yeh that...

Three of our starters were completely invisible tonight with barnes at 0%, Dwight with 5 points and 1 of 6 from the line and Carter shooting 21% from the field. Three of our key bench players were pretty bad also in Gortat, Anderson and Jwill.

As bad as these guys played tonight offensively we lead by double digits most of the way. No way all these guys suck so bad at the same time again.

If they can't get us on a night where our two biggest offensive weapons are nowhere to be found and in foul trouble all night then I really feel sorry for the Bobcats from here on out.

Their starting 5 shot a great percentage. All 3 of their main guys played well in Wallace, who had a monster game, Felton and Jackson. I don't see much room for improvement from any of their guys.

quote:
Originally posted by Sinister_Grin:

Three of our starters were completely invisible tonight with barnes at 0%, Dwight with 5 points and 1 of 6 from the line and Carter shooting 21% from the field. Three of our key bench players were pretty bad also in Gortat, Anderson and Jwill.

As bad as these guys played tonight offensively we lead by double digits most of the way. No way all these guys suck so bad at the same time again.

If they can't get us on a night where our two biggest offensive weapons are nowhere to be found and in foul trouble all night then I really feel sorry for the Bobcats from here on out.

Thats a good theory and I mostly agree. However theres a reason for it. The Kitty Litter play great defense. The Magic always struggle with great defensive teams. We may win, but we struggle. We definetly struggle when a team is able to throw multiple bigs at Dwight. See Lakers.. 09.

We'll beat the Kittens because they don't defend well on the perimeter. Its the teams that have a few guys to throw at Dwight and can also defend the perimeter that will give us the biggest challenge. We'll see..

I think at some point in time, we may need to run a bigger lineup. Possibly DH and Gortat and maybe give Bass some minutes. Hopefully Stan will have a plan.

quote:

quote:
However, at the game it definitely appeared that the game was called differently in the first half than it was in the 2nd half. If I have one gripe, it would be that the game should be called consistently from beginning to end, regardless of score.

Well, the teams also played different in the 2nd half. Not so much that Charlotte attacked more, but without Howard, they were able to penetrate easier and it lead to more stupid fouls (since we didn't have Dwight to bail us out). The Magic, on the other hand, hardly even tried to get into the paint in the 2nd half... it's really hard to get a foul call going your way if you don't attack them inside. Carter needs to be that guy... he needs to be the guy to drive into the lane when our shots aren't falling. Instead, he provided even more contested jump shots. Hopefully this won't be the story in the playoffs.

I don't think the problem was as much how they were calling the game when we had the ball that bothered me. What bothered me (and don't take this the wrong way, I generally despise the whole "the refs are out to get us" attitude of our fan base) was that in the first half Charlotte kept attacking and it seemed like we would get away with murder, almost like we were the Pistons of a few years ago. Because of this, no calls on our end when we had the ball weren't bothering me.

Then in the 2nd half it was like a totally different officiating crew and contact was a sin. It contrasted greatly from the way the game was called in the first half when we essentially had to punch someone in the face to get a foul called.

Again, I think we got the benefit of the whistle of the first half, and Charlotte got the calls in the 2nd. I don't have a problem with that, imo it was officiated fairly evenly in that regard. I do wish that the game would be called consistently from start to finish so that both teams can adjust and play the game accordingly.