Sign in to follow this  
Ryan the Magic Fan

Official Game Thread: Magic vs. Kittens Game 1 4/18 5:30p

quote:
Originally posted by ManuGinobili:

My two cents:

- Excellent Jameer, being aggresive, hitting from outside and making his FT.

- Another key playoffs performances by Lewis and Pietrus. That 3 by MP with 2 min remaining was awesome.

- Poor defensive job by Gortat, he does not seem to be making efforts on that side of the court.

- Howard was very important in D, and good with that offensive board and dunk at the end.

- Poor job by the refs, with many ticky tack fouls.

- Carter was awful, he did create his own shot but missed repeteadly. I am confident he will bounce back, though.

- Didnt like JWill

You know, this series will be just what the Magic need. Playing against a hungry Bobcats team instead of a team that we would normally walk through. This is exactly the test the Magic need to get there playoff wheels rolling into the next round. better to start out dealing with a tough team.

quote:
Originally posted by sportsfanatic:

quote:
Originally posted by BillFan:

quote:
Originally posted by ButterMilkPancakes:

lol, the Bobcats attacked the ENTIRE game and the Magic turned into a complete jumpshooting team in the end of the 3rd and 4th, yet the refs are to award the jumpshooting team and NOT the team going to the rim in almost every possession...

Exactly... The Kittens never gave up there game plan to attack and eventually started to get the calls.

i do agree...but then i see VC drive or Barnes, and they get hacked and there's no call. So i dunno if they lose their motivation to drive bc the refs don't blow their whistles on our end it seems

That's the ****ing problem... refs may miss a call on a drive but might make one later... the Bobkitties attacked the entire game. Howard got the best of them in the 1st half, but did they stop? Were they discouraged by lack of calls or getting owned by Howard? No... they kept attacking and it paid off. I think it's pretty bad that this team can seriously "stop attacking" because one one or two of their drives they didn't get a call (which could've gone either way).

I really hope SVG pulls Carter early if he does the same **** he did tonight.

wince.jpg

As you can see, he attacked the rim 4 times. He made 2 of those 4 shots (50%). The other 15 shots were either 3s, long 2s, or drifters (maybe a long floater or two). He went 2-13 from there. If the shot's not going in, you don't keep shooting the same shot with the thought it'll eventually go in... you continue to attack and get to the FT line/get easy layups. Carter was only sent to the line ONCE from a drive. The other trip was an offensive foul and there was a technical foul shot.

This was January Wince at his finest. He got out of that slump by doing what? Driving... it's not gonna change now. I hope SVG is ripping him a new one and preaching he needs to keep driving, because he's a great finisher around the rim and can kick it out to guys open.

Observations:

1. Great to see Jameer playing aggressively in the 1st half & getting to the rim.

2. Great to see passive players like Shard & Pietrus mixing it up more. Every basket Shard hit in the 2nd seemed to break an avalanche of momentum for Charlotte. Ice-O, AKA Cold Blooded is back.

2. VC was in "playoff mode" like what, 4 minutes? Now there's an epic chucker!

3. I hate how soft this team is at times. If Charlotte is going to pressure the Magic PG's on every possession, the automatic response is running them into brick walls. Allowing Charlotte to slow down the game & shorten the shot clock is weak on every level. Can't allow that to continue, can't allow Charlotte to dictate the pace of the game like that!!!

4. Jameer, for the love of anything holy, stop trying to be a hero on every possession. If Charlotte is going to switch Felton & Augustine on your 4 man...demonstrate the patience, discipline, and leadership to send them into the post & exploit the mismatch! Not one time, c'mon man, take the blinders off. SVG, correct this!

5. If this were the 80th game of the season and Charlotte were out of the playoffs, I'd swear they were tanking. Not employing hack-a-Howard & not bringing S-Jax back were curious decisions at best.

6. Dwight:

A. Thought for sure he was going to produce a statement triple-double to start the playoffs.

B. Those free throws looked awful

C. Why did SVG leave him in at the end of the 2nd?

D. Complaining about every margin call when you got the benefit of several non-calls early is Phil Hellmuthesque.

7. Stop whining about the officials. The more aggressive team is going to receive the benefit of the whistle, take notice VC.

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by sportsfanatic:

quote:
Originally posted by BillFan:

quote:

lol, the Bobcats attacked the ENTIRE game and the Magic turned into a complete jumpshooting team in the end of the 3rd and 4th, yet the refs are to award the jumpshooting team and NOT the team going to the rim in almost every possession...

Exactly... The Kittens never gave up there game plan to attack and eventually started to get the calls.

i do agree...but then i see VC drive or Barnes, and they get hacked and there's no call. So i dunno if they lose their motivation to drive bc the refs don't blow their whistles on our end it seems

That's the ****ing problem... refs may miss a call on a drive but might make one later... the Bobkitties attacked the entire game. Howard got the best of them in the 1st half, but did they stop? Were they discouraged by lack of calls or getting owned by Howard? No... they kept attacking and it paid off. I think it's pretty bad that this team can seriously "stop attacking" because one one or two of their drives they didn't get a call (which could've gone either way).

I really hope SVG pulls Carter early if he does the same **** he did tonight.

wince.jpg

As you can see, he attacked the rim 4 times. He made 2 of those 4 shots (50%). The other 15 shots were either 3s, long 2s, or drifters (maybe a long floater or two). He went 2-13 from there. If the shot's not going in, you don't keep shooting the same shot with the thought it'll eventually go in... you continue to attack and get to the FT line/get easy layups. Carter was only sent to the line ONCE from a drive. The other trip was an offensive foul and there was a technical foul shot.

This was January Wince at his finest. He got out of that slump by doing what? Driving... it's not gonna change now. I hope SVG is ripping him a new one and preaching he needs to keep driving, because he's a great finisher around the rim and can kick it out to guys open.

i totally agree...if the shot isn't dropping, you have to drive and find a way to contribute. But as for SVG ripping him one, he isn't going to. I'm basing that on the post game comments he made. He said something along the lines of, if on wednesday vince gets those same shots i'll be happy. there were only a couple i didn't like, but normally he'll make about 50% of those. He made a small mention of how he wanted vince to go into attack mode a little more, but didn't seem upset at the rate he was jackin up jumpers....just food for thought

quote:
Originally posted by KillingInTheNameOf:

Observations:

1. Great to see Jameer playing aggressively in the 1st half & getting to the rim.

2. Great to see passive players like Shard & Pietrus mixing it up more. Every basket Shard hit in the 2nd seemed to break an avalanche of momentum for Charlotte. Ice-O, AKA Cold Blooded is back.

2. VC was in "playoff mode" like what, 4 minutes? Now there's an epic chucker!

3. I hate how soft this team is at times. If Charlotte is going to pressure the Magic PG's on every possession, the automatic response is running them into brick walls. Allowing Charlotte to slow down the game & shorten the shot clock is weak on every level. Can't allow that to continue, can't allow Charlotte to dictate the pace of the game like that!!!

4. Jameer, for the love of anything holy, stop trying to be a hero on every possession. If Charlotte is going to switch Felton & Augustine on your 4 man...demonstrate the patience, discipline, and leadership to send them into the post & exploit the mismatch! Not one time, c'mon man, take the blinders off. SVG, correct this!

5. If this were the 80th game of the season and Charlotte were out of the playoffs, I'd swear they were tanking. Not employing hack-a-Howard & not bringing S-Jax back were curious decisions at best.

6. Dwight:

A. Thought for sure he was going to produce a statement triple-double to start the playoffs.

B. Those free throws looked awful

C. Why did SVG leave him in at the end of the 2nd?

D. Complaining about every margin call when you got the benefit of several non-calls early is Phil Hellmuthesque.

7. Stop whining about the officials. The more aggressive team is going to receive the benefit of the whistle, take notice VC.

5. If this were the 80th game of the season and Charlotte were out of the playoffs, I'd swear they were tanking. Not employing hack-a-Howard & not bringing S-Jax back were curious decisions at best.<

I didn't get tht either.

What bothered me most wasn't vince's performance, but the fact he was sulking on the bench the rest of the 4th...the whole bench was standing and cheering the guys on while vince just sits there feeling bad for himself

I like that his playoff "intensity" displayed is around as long as HE is playing well

So you've posted an obvious foul by dwight on the rebound that wasn't called but I can think of 10 horrible calls in one quarter including the worst which was the jump ball on ryan when only one hand was on the ball and he was over the back and tackled. That is an embarrassment to pro, college and high school officiating that just exemplifies just how bad these guys were. They were HORRIBLE no excuses!

quote:
Originally posted by alexjbaum10:

What bothered me most wasn't vince's performance, but the fact he was sulking on the bench the rest of the 4th...the whole bench was standing and cheering the guys on while vince just sits there feeling bad for himself

I like that his playoff "intensity" displayed is around as long as HE is playing well

i saw vince get up and jump around in frustration during several ticky tack calls in the 4th quarter. didn't appear sulking to me