Sign in to follow this  
Darthmagic

Bass as back-up center?

quote:
Originally posted by AnotherCavsFan:

quote:
Originally posted by optics:

I like Bass as a player but lets be honest .. he just doesnt fit our system @ all. When we first picked him up I thought we would incorporate him to be our big at PF and let Rashard go back to the 3 .. but Stan would rather have 4 other plays stand at the perimeter and let Howard try to grab every rebound possible. My question is .. why use Bass to match up with other teams? Why dont we use him out there at the 4 and let other teams "match up" with us?? Hmmm .. food for thought

Using Bass at the 4 is matching up with other teams. He's not a good scorer, and he's a decent rebounder. What makes the Magic as good as they are is their style of play. 4 guys around the perimeter and Howard in the middle. With Bass in with Howard, it changes their landscape as a team.

This is JMO, I don't know the Magic that well, but that's what it seems to me.

we had much of this same situation last year with the old squad, there was alot of squabbling and then reasoning in the offseason why we would need a 'traditional' backup 4 just to have the ability to play... if not big.. then 'heavy' up front against larger teams. I think we're trying to avoid the fact that we didn't see ryan anderson doing as well as he's done(even if it maybe inconsistent), and maybe we didn't need the signing of brandon bass, but i mean... who really saw that coming?

as of right now considering the potential front lineup of howard, shard, gortat, bass, anderson... the odd man out might be bass if he's unhappy with backup anything minutes as well as trying to fight with anderson for this year's given 4/5 rotation. it's a great problem to have to tell you the truth, considering past magic teams.

but there are only a few options to this whole thing, get rid of gortat, and find a young big for insurance.....get rid of bass, and find that same young big for insurance, but this time it could be a 4 instead of a definate 5....try to slide anderson/shard down to the three spot, to which, if barnes and jj walk, it might need to happen.. and yeah, anderson isn't agile enough to play 3, no real lateral speed as well, and shard is getting older.

i'm not too worried about the offseason moves as of now, i know that sounds redundant, but i'm mostly not worried because of my faith in otis smith and van gundy to select talent on a very good level. i used to cringe in the offseason/draft, now i'm happy to see it come our way.

Bad idea. Bass is a terrible rebounder, and there's no benefit in putting him at C. Even if you want to post him up, most C's are actually bigger than him. You people are forgetting that he's naturally a power forward.

And DO NOT compare us to the Cavaliers. Ever.

quote:
Originally posted by GhostAnime:

Bad idea. Bass is a terrible rebounder, and there's no benefit in putting him at C. Even if you want to post him up, most C's are actually bigger than him. You people are forgetting that he's naturally a power forward.

No one is comparing the Magic to the Cavs.

I merely stated that if Hickson can play Center, so can Bass.

Besides, I remember you mailing the season in a couple months ago....Why do you care what rotations your team uses?

As already stated, Hickson can play C, but he doesn't always rebound the ball because he's surrounded by solid guys.

quote:
Besides, I remember you mailing the season in a couple months ago....Why do you care what rotations your team uses?

Well, that was before the last Cavs game.. and a little bit of researching.

quote:

quote:

here you go anothercavsfan .. song for you icon_smile.gif

Bass is a traditional power forward. Theres no changing that. I like him playing that position. I like the fact that he has confidence in that mid range shot and I think the Magic actually need the energy that Bass plays with. However, I do admit that he does look out of control at times. We got what we wanted and it can work.

quote:

When did Bass become a "terrible" rebounder? I just don't get this. Was he a terrible rebounder on the Mavs? And the stats say he plays better as a Center.

quote:

quote:

quote:

Didn't you already post that in another thread? And I don't see how that's relevant since The Rock has been retired from wrestling for many years (not sure how long. I'm not a little kid like you who actually follows wresting) so the Cavs back then most likely did suck...oh and that avatar and sig says that you need to get off the Cavs junk.

quote:

quote:

Okay, so Bass can also play center... for the Cavs. Seriously, just because it works for one team does not mean it works for another. This team does not have a good enough amount of rebounders for Bass to be able to play C with the 2nd unit. Bass will be used like Stan has been using him... for matchups.

quote:
My question is .. why use Bass to match up with other teams? Why dont we use him out there at the 4 and let other teams "match up" with us?? Hmmm .. food for thought

Your question is stupid. You put Bass next to a guy like Kevin Love, and we have a matchup DISADVANTAGE. Bass will play the more physical, quicker PFs in the league as long as they don't tower over him and are not rebounding magnets such as love. That gives the team the edge. You don't put him out there with the disadvantage, especially since we can pretty much match up our PFs depending on what the team is giving us.

quote:
Originally posted by Mmmmhhhhmmmm:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Didn't you already post that in another thread? And I don't see how that's relevant since The Rock has been retired from wrestling for many years (not sure how long. I'm not a little kid like you who actually follows wresting) so the Cavs back then most likely did suck...oh and that avatar and sig says that you need to get off the Cavs junk.

lol .. nice3 try at your personal insult. Did you just turn 18 and think you're a grown up now? And if you noticed .. he wasnt talking about the Cavs "kiddo" .. he was talking about the city in general. So next time, get your facts in order Mr. Grown up .. before you come after me .. the "kid" who pays his own bills and buys his own tickets .. food for thought .. grow up and learn to take a joke young one icon_smile.gif

quote:
Your question is stupid. You put Bass next to a guy like Kevin Love, and we have a matchup DISADVANTAGE. Bass will play the more physical, quicker PFs in the league as long as they don't tower over him and are not rebounding magnets such as love. That gives the team the edge. You don't put him out there with the disadvantage, especially since we can pretty much match up our PFs depending on what the team is giving us.

EPIC Fail = When someone is compared to Kevin Love .. you cant be serious man. LMAO You pretty much answered that Bass would present match up problems .. he will be more physical and out hustle people .. when it comes to rebounds .. I dont care if kevin Love is "taller" than Bass .. Bass will bully " soft Love " all game .. Bass would bully just about any PF in the league .. Dennis Rodman wasnt towering over folks but he sure did out hustle folks and bully people out of the paint .. thats what Bass's role would be ..